New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I was naive to believe that the technology was ahead of where it was. I see now where my issue has been all along - trying to get the traffic set up prior to heading out. What I needed to do was to be away from wifi signals.

I deleted the phone on the rider / the rider on the phone, and paired bluetooth again. Start by going through the bit on the mydrive app, which will direct you to normal pairing on your phone. Once paired, it gives the number and you confirm pairing on the devices. Then you are prompted to open mydrive (I got a toast on my iphone and clicked it to switch apps). Once in mydrive again, you are given a second pairing prompt. I clicked it and it said ready to go.

I put the GPS on the bike, climbed on and started it. Checking my phone in bluetooth, both traffic and messages said "connecting". Promising. By the time I was 100m down the road, they were both connected and I had live traffic.

So far it's been pretty good. I do really like the unit. Now i have to figure out how to mount it effectively, as I used an existing ram mount but want to put it on my handlebars. My bars seem too thin without wrapping he rubber strap over and over again! I'll get that sorted.
    eltel62 likes this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the default mount on the crossbar from my Madstad windshield bracket, which is smaller then most handlebars, and it works great. The long connector that joins the GPS/mount together is probably the oddest part, since it makes it pretty long and vibrate a bit.
  3. dimon

dimon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yesterday took the my bike for a quick scenic loop that I created sometime ago in MyRouteApp and exported to MyDrive. Everything worked just great. I love it.
    ommoran likes this.
  4. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I"m going to have to play around with this, I think, as I don't see the requisite bits to fit my bike properly. I'm sure that is operator error.

I reached out to Tomtom (Canada's) staff by web-form today, and got a reply. I was hoping to order the security lock for the GPS. Apparently tomtom Canada doesn't sell it. Any ideas on where to order one?
  5. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Amazon or Fleabay would be your best place for the locking kit. However, do some research before you spend money on it. I looked hard at it and figured that anyone with a big screwdriver could walk off with it in about 30 seconds. I can detach it and stick it in my jacket pocket in about the same time.

Also what bike are you trying to attach it to? I’m sure you mentioned it already but I’m too lazy to go scrolling around to find it.
  6. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip - I guess I will go without the security kit.

I'm trying to attach it to a V-Strom 650. Ideally, just on the centre of the handlebars, right near my gauges.
  7. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I saw...somewhere...an accessory shelf for the dL 650 and 1000 that mounts using the windshield screws and will pop the gps right above your gauge cluster behind your windshield. I liked the look of it a lot. I remember seeing some dude on YouTube doing an installation video on it. Have a look around, it’s probably the neatest installation I have seen...other than the one in my RT haha.

Edit: I found it.

https://ravetechmotorcycles.com/store/en/suzuki-dl650-v-strom/23-dl650-accessory-bar.html
  8. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hint. I just figured that out from the manual. The manual seems to indicate that the unit can also get the data from the Bluetooth also but I haven’t made sure it can work that way yet. I also found out that my IPhone shows 2 Bluetooth connections to the 550 for the phone and data to work correctly. I am finally figuring out the qwerks of this GPS. I am glad I didn’t give up on it and send it back.
  9. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I seem to get traffic data as long as the Rider is paired with my phone and MyDrive on the phone is running, no "hotspot" required.
    eltel62 likes this.
  10. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    And I may be completely incorrect.
  11. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my 550 with me to the Noobs rally in Death Valley. Worked great. Although two track/single track did not show up I was nicely surprised that some of the dirt roads did show up. The 550 took a beating on miles of rock and washboard and did not flinch. I like how fast it calculates and how easy it is to use with gloves.
  12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the 550 can be made to leave “breadcrumbs” or path history? It’s a feature I really like in a gps?
  13. xgringo

xgringo n00b

Oddometer:
    You can record your track.

14. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    All is not perfect with the drum beat...

I've been pretty happy with the unit. Worked great on a bike trip to LA and a car trip thru Zion, as well as just riding around, using 3 different mounts, 2 bike, one car. Just spent a week riding around Texas and to the Austin motogp then home. Plotted all the routes in MyDrive beforehand, they all appeared in the MyRoutes tab on the Rider as well.

Leave day one, everything is great for the first 6 hours or so then the unit shuts down. I know where I'm going so look at it when I'm at the hotel. Battery indicator is red. Hmmm, no power? Check the connections, all look good. Take them apart, touch directly to the battery, unit lights up. Ok, reconnect them, unit lights up again, seems to be getting power now. Hmmm. I've got the power cord with me, so charge it up overnight.

Next morning, mount it on the bike, turn it on, all my routes are gone. It is still hooked to the hotel wifi so log out and log back it, nada, routes not there. Grrrr, f it, just punch in "Marfa" and let it take me there. Ok, all good. At the hotel that night, all the routes are back after logging into the wifi. Dunno why. I notice the unit battery is somewhat discharged, which I think is unusual given it has been connected all day, so I charge it up again overnight.

Works fine for the next several days. Couple of gps farts, tries to take me thru a subdivision instead of a main road b/c it is shorter but lots do that.

Last day coming home unit dies again after 7 hours.

Get home, mount it on my car mount, lights back up. Check the bike mount connections the next day, all look good. Take them apart again and wire it directly to the battery. This time the unit does not light back up. Hmmm, pull the mount wires, nothing broken, melted, all good. Figure something went bad inside the swivel motorcycle head unit. Call Tom Tom, they authorize a return, I shipped the mount the same day.

This morning, plugged the unit into a charger at home. After several hours, battery still shows red. Changed cords and chargers, same thing. Call Tom Tom again, they authorize a replacement unit. Shipped that a couple of hours ago.

I'm left scratching my head a bit. Will say their customer service is pretty good, we'll see how long it takes to get the replacement unit and mount.
  15. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be curious what they tell you, if they do, what the problem was.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something is definitely broken with the map update process. Started it yesterday late afternoon, and it was 80% when I got up this morning to prep to head out. Canceled it in a small fit of rage, which wiped all map data from the device, and started a fresh download of the NA maps while I figured out what to do; and it’s at 55% after 20m.

@AdamChandler , can I put a ticket in? Is this a known issue?
    Magus and AdamChandler like this.
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    The Tom Tom customer service number is 866 486 6866.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

I’m not sure. I usually check Tomtom discussions first. If nothing then a call is next.
  19. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    My replacement Rider and mount are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Pretty decent turnaround, they were mailed out last Thurs and Fri. I'll post up when it is up and running. Assuming this all works, doubt I'll ever know what the issues were. Also, if you have to send your Rider in for any reason, remember to remove the SD card...which I forgot. Cheap to replace tho...
  20. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Got the new Rider and mount today...they obviously just pulled a new one, got the "whole box" including Ram mount, cord, etc. Updated the Rider, software and US/Can map while plugged into a wall charger via USB. While it was doing that, wired in the new mount. After the update, I noted that the battery indicated "full." Disconnected the USB cord and wall charger, Rider shows the "going to sleep in x seconds" screen. I let it sleep. Walk out to the garage, put it in the new mount, immediately wakes up. Push the release lever, get the "going to sleep" screen. Try that a few times. Everything seems to be working. Put in the new 32gb memory card, format it for maps, delete Oceania and Asia, downloading Europe now. Paired with my phone, home wifi, no problem. Once the Europe map downloads, I'll check it for the European hotels and passes that came listed in my original unit, as well as pair it with the BT dongle I use to get audio to my earbuds. Doubt that will be a problem.

My guess is that the internal battery went bad and would not take or hold a charge for long, ultimately not at all. In surfing around, I did learn that there is a fuse internal to the mount (also mentioned in the owner's manual, but who reads those?). Apparently, it is of unknown rating, nor is it user serviceable, which seems a pretty big oversight. That could have gone on me as well, but it would not explain why the Rider would not take a charge via USB, so I doubt it. Still, if it goes for any reason on a trip, you'd be SOL...unless what it really is is a breaker that resets. No information on this that I can find in the manual, their forums, or online.

A word about their customer service...helpful, relatively short wait times, followed up with email. They did screw up sending a Fedex shipping label for the Rider, they sent one for the mount the previous day, so I just shipped it myself. They turned it around quickly too.

One thing I learned on my Texas trip: if your hotel wifi is the kind that shows a "sign up" screen first with different options to pay (I was at a Marriott, my wifi was free but I had to put in my code) there does not seem to be a way to get the Rider to hook up with the wifi. If the hotel network simply has a password (every other hotel I stayed at) it works just fine, you get the password prompt on the Rider. If you can't hook up to the wifi, you can still download routes via a computer if you've got one (I did) but learned that to do that via MyDrive you need the Android File Transfer program. Once you have that, pretty easy drag and drop process.

I'm hoping I can now go back to the "I love this thing" scenario...
    AdamChandler likes this.