New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    secondary authentication WiFi is a plague for all of my non-smart devices. Even my phone sometimes forgets to popup the hotel authentication screen. A hack I use on my phone (and laptops) is visit http://captive.apple.com this is Apple's site that will sort of trigger a prompt if you're on a Mac / iPhone / iPad and haven't seen the hotel pop-up yet. It works every time (it just says success if you're already online)

I'm honestly not surprised this didn't work on the Tomtom. I doubt Garmin would fair much better.

Also, having not called our support in a few years, I'm glad to hear it's still helpful. I hope things get going for you soon.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Europe loaded no problem, all the passes and hotels are there, BT dongles paired. Normal service has been restored... :clap

Hope it lasts...
    cblais19 and AdamChandler like this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the circuit protection is electronic and automatically resets once a fault is cleared, rather than being a fuse that destroys itself. My RT uses similar protection for every circuit - works well.
  4. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    That would make sense as I said in my original post, but what is your source of information? The sum of the information in the manual is this:

When you are attaching the mount kit to your motorcycle, follow these guidelines:

•  Ifyouareunsureaboutattachingthemountkityourself,askaprofessionaltofititforyou.
    •  If you choose to attach the mount kit yourself, note that the Active Dock has a built-in fuse. This means that you don’t need to add a fuse between the device and the motorcycle bat- tery.
  5. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mistake - I was recalling a post about the Garmin 396. The TomTom website and the 550 manual fail to discuss the circuit protection, so I sent a query to support:

Lkraus, 04/26/2019 10:40 AM
    I am considering purchase of the Rider 550. My understanding is that the wiring for the mount includes some sort of circuit protection, but I can find no information explaining how it works. Is this a replaceable fuse, or automatically-resetting electronics, or will I need to replace the entire mount if the "protection" is triggered? Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong location, your web site makes it difficult to get past the basic FAQs and ask an original question.

Prachi, 05/01/2019 09:31 PM
    Dear Mr Kraus,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact Tom Tom Customer Support. My name is Prachi and I am glad to assist you.
    The reference number for your query is 190426-003833.
    I understand from your e-mail that you wish to know about the mount of Rider 550.Please be assured that I will put my best efforts to assist you.
    I would like to inform you that there are two wires on the mount, one goes to the battery and one goes to the
    device.
    We do not provide the replacement of the fuse or wire, however, if you are facing issue with the mount, we will replace the complete mount.

So if you manage to short out the wire to the mount, you are expected to contact TomTom and wait for them to ship you an entire new mount. Not very convenient, especially if you are in the middle of a cross-country tour. I suppose users with out-of-warranty units will also get to pay the price for an entire mount, instead of just a buck or two for a replaceable fuse. So, a very bad design, IMO.
    upload_2019-5-2_10-16-34.png

Most of the wiring, from the power source to the inline connector (which seem to contain the fuse), is NOT protected by the fuse. I think I'd add another fuse near the power source with a small (1.5 or 2A) replaceable fuse. That would provide protection to the entire circuit and, hopefully, if a fault occurs, the replaceable fuse would blow before the factory fuse.

It might be interesting to slice open the molded connector on the defective mount to see if the factory fuse could be replaced or bypassed for an emergency repair.
  6. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Interesting that they would not provide an answer. My sense from dealing with their customer service is that they are helpful, but do not have any technical knowledge, it is as they suggested, just a replacement philosophy.

The only information beyond the vague manual I've been able to find comes from this Bennetts review. They say:

The TomTom Rider 500 and 550 both come with a bike mount and Ram brackets to clamp to the bars or fit to a mirror clamp. The cable has a small connector near the mount, and terminates in a pair of exposed wires. It’s a shame that ring connectors aren’t supplied to fit to your battery, but the cable is slim and easy to route through your bike. There’s no fuse fitted, but the circuit inside the mount has a self-resetting fuse.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...gy/tested-tomtom-rider-500-550-sat-nav-review

No information source is provided. I do think this makes sense but short of cutting one apart, not sure how to tell. I think my problem was the battery in the Rider itself, not the mount, since it would not charge even from a USB connection.
  7. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is on the fence, 20% off with the code.

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 10.00.40 AM.png
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  8. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Anyone notice that, when recording a track, if you rotate the unit, the track recording stops?
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
  10. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Wow!
  11. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to increase the font size on my 550 (yes my eyes are 'more experienced') but I could not find out how to do so on the unit or online.

Anyone know if the screen/font size can be increased?

Thanks
  12. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Impossible AFAIK. If you figure it out, please post how to in large type... many of us are similarly experienced... :D
    bobw likes this.
  13. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ Will do.
  14. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well what I came up with are some safety glasses that have 1.50 readers in the bottom portion of the lens.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might try a Google search for "stick-on magnifiers". I have one on the bottom edge of my helmet face shield to help read small text on my GPS. I have an assortment of cheap readers from +1.00 to +3.00, so I experimented before purchasing the stick-ons. My most-used readers are +2.00, but since the face shield is further from my eye, a +1.25 works better on the shield.

Mine from Hydrotac work well, but next time I'll look for stick-ons intended for scuba diving masks as they usually are larger.
  16. jstfsh

jstfsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very interested in this setup s for getting music and directions. Having just gotten the TT550 I was under the impression that I would
    be able to listen to music which is on my iphone through my scala Q3 and be able to get gps directions from the TT, This isnt possible. I cn only do one thing,either get text messages on gps or voice directions from gps but not both,TT says the q3 is compatable but yes I was right either one thing or the other but not both. thanks for your input
    Planning aa trip in 2 weeks and definitely would like tune too
  17. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Why would you ever want to be distracted from the rideing
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you think music distracts from the riding?
  19. jstfsh

jstfsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesnt distract me at all. Do you listen to your radio in the car?
    EmmEff and Jarlaxle like this.
  20. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

I'd rather hear the cars tyres squealing, as is about to hit me up the arse, so I can takes defensive action...!!