New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm a proffesional driver. 100,000 miles on a quiet year, 140,000 miles on a busy year
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, good for you?

If I didn’t listen to music while riding, I wouldn’t ride. Endless wind, road, and engine noise gets old and “white” awfully quick.
    lithodave likes this.
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Crikey, you make riding sound so dull..
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  4. jstfsh

jstfsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By that account it’s already to late. Just my opinion. To each his own. My best defense is being away from people before they knew I was there. Ride safe and enjoy
  5. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I use a Sena SMH10 and pipe music in via my iPhone and Spotify, my TT is also connected via Bluetooth. It will interrupt the music, give the audible directions and then resume the music.
  6. jstfsh

jstfsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is your sena working on 2 different channels? As I was told from scala, if I want the text to pop up on gps screen, pair phone to GPS and then pair GPS to Cardo-don’t pair phone to cardo. Pairing gps to cardo then phone to cardo text won’t come thru gps. Either way music from phone won’t get to cardo headset. TT 550 can’t have music go thru it to headset. That was how it was explained to me by cardo and reaffirmed by the third person I spoke to at TT. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Thanks
  7. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I honestly don’t know. It didn’t work at first, then once I updated the firmware on my Sena it works. For the text reading etc I have to be running the MyDrive app on my iPhone. I usually don’t bother with that but it does work about 90% with the spoken directions. It sometimes screws up and doesn’t reconnect music from my phone though.
  8. jstfsh

jstfsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I had a gps if I used my phone gps map it worked as yours does. While listening to music it would lower the music and then speak the directions then go back to music. I want that with the TT
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the TT pared to my Cardo PalkTalk Bold as GPS, and my iPhone paired as phone 1. Music is interrupted when the GPS feeds voice directions, and resumes automatically. Because they're two different bluetooth sources, I don't think the mixer on the headset is able to simply reduce music volume and let it keep playing the way your phone can handle internally.

I don't bother with texts showing on my TT though - I generally don't care about texts when I'm riding, but I do have an Apple Watch on and could command Siri to read me my texts if I feel the notification come in.
  10. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished 7 weeks in Europe, much of it riding around on a bike I shipped over and am now storing there. The 550 I purchased in anticipation of this trip worked perfectly, and the MyDrive interface remains a joy to use. Warns you of all the speed cameras in Europe as well.

Very satisfied!
    Jarlaxle and tsak8 like this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to use mine in the UK in a couple weeks, but with a rental car. Glad to know it just as effective, if not more so, over there!
    Traxx and kickstandsup like this.