New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    First.

Will you take $25? :lol3
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Why?
  3. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t like the routing and I had lots of issues with planning online with the Tom Tom software. I just decided to move back to nav on the phone with downloaded maps. Scenic, Rever and Apple Maps(Apple Maps only if I knew I would always have signal). The only real reason that I was using Rever anymore was that it helped keep track of my TOH sites.
  4. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Funny, I think the MyDrive route planning software is the best thing about the TT. Works just like google maps, drag and drop to change the route. Easy to upload gpx files too...I just uploaded the entire Route des Grande Alpes yesterday for use this coming summer, took seconds. With basecamp, I'd still be pounding my head on the concrete.

I will say, though, that the unit itself has been replaced twice (for free) in one year. First time it would not take a charge, second time b/c it kept switching b/w guidance and overhead view. TT's customer service was good, but it is a bit of a concern since my warranty will run out next month.
    cblais19 and Traxx like this.
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    You got a lemon, I figure.
  6. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
  7. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
  8. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setup: I have connected my TT 550 to my S10e and Helmet BT headset. S10e is also connected to Helmet BT.

Scenario 1) Normal incoming voice call, i see notification on the TT to pick or reject call - all is good here

Scenario 2) Whats-app incoming voice call don't show any notification on TT. Any idea how to fix this?

edit: 11 Jan 2020
    looks like scenario 2 is not possible. this is a bummer...

well, found out that if you hold the power button for 15 second, after the thunder roll sound, a low level info screen is displayed on the Tom tom 550.. That screen accurately displays the battery level.... and a few other bits of info.

PS: bought this RAM Mount and am now using the following RAM Twist mount to use he rider in the car. I am liking it. It is attached to a 70mm GPS disk that is stuck the dash with 3M adhesive. I would have preferred the bigger (90mm) twist grip, but that needed a 90mm disk and I already had the smaller disk stuck, so went with the smaller one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAM-B-166-...045790&hash=item288220ce64:g:edAAAOSwLEhdPkoS
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    TomTom also has a Rider 550 car mount, works perfectly.

IMG_20190207_135617207.jpg
    ommoran likes this.
  10. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup, but at ~$60 the car mount is more expensive than the RAM twist suction cup mount ($16) :)

i did change the gps disk to the 90mm disk as the twist grip was failing to seal on the disk edges.....
  11. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you get what you pay for. But, having choices are good.

I'm still loving the 550, on the bikes and in the Rover.
  12. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the collective genius on this topic.. I do not want to use the handlebar mount which comes with the TT 550. Have you folks discovered other mounts for this unit ? I don't like stuff mounted on my handlebars nor ram set ups. Wanting to mount this to my Brittania Lynx R' fairing dash. They offer a bracket and I have reached out for info from them but thought I would ask here as well. Also, if you have experience with other mounts can you charge it on the bike without having to use the supplied unit?
    Thanks in advance !
  13. kickstandsup

Oddometer:

The mount has the standard 4 hole AMPS pattern on the back designed to mount a Ram ball. No reason why you couldn't mount it directly on something else using the same bolts. The mount itself is pretty robust and "easy on and off" for the unit. Charging it on bike without this would require a USB cable into the port on the bottom, and you'd loose the waterproofness and robustness of the mount.

IMG_20200128_085041332.jpg IMG_20200128_085033354.jpg IMG_20200128_085028787.jpg
  14. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    Thanks KSU !
    Good to know and the pics were "very" helpful. Points well taken.
  15. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    No problem. One other thought: you'll need clearance to slide the TT onto and off the mount, if that matters.
  16. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    KSU,
    Yes it does but I'm not sure what I have to work with just yet. Want to swap over between my quasi Rallye WR250R and my KTM SMT. Will be 2 diff ways of mounting for sure. I have USB's on both bikes so hoping to be able to use that with possible KTM mount and I see that Lynx has a bracket on their website as well for the WR (Lynx Fairing)
    I just ordered the 550, should be here in 4 or 5 days. Not sure if the connections that come with it will have a USB varient . Since you have one, does it?
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    The TT mount has a very simple 2 wire connection made to go to the battery or a fuse block, or some other 12V source, no USB connection. The TT Rider itself has a USB port behind a waterproof "door" that is designed for data updates via computer (if you don't have wifi access) and will also charge the device.

In my experience (several Garmin Nuvi) a USB connection on a bike is a real weak point, will require constant attention, is not in itself waterproof, and will eventually fail. Getting away from that was one of the reasons I went with a TomTom. Of course, YMMV.

It also sounds like you're doing a lot of off road. The TT maps are road oriented, just FYI, and I'm not sure of any source for detailed off road options.
  18. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    KSU, thanks for the detailed heads up. I have read that USB is not great for our usage long term. I don't ride in the rain as a rule but the jiggling off road will challenge USB let alone the other points you bring up. It would be more for a back up charge as the battery I am reading is good for 6+ hours. I understand that legit dirt roads should show up on the TT and maybe if lucky US Forrest roads. I understand this can't do trails, I would use my phone should it be needed for those. When you plan a route with dirt roads (marked, named, legit) with "my ride" shouldn't they show up when transferred to the TT ? Maybe you or some of the master wizards using the TomTom Rider could chime in here regarding that.

Appreciate your continued input !
  19. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Certainly not a master wizard...but here goes...

In my experience, whatever you plot out on MyDrive transfers exactly to the Rider easily by wifi. No problem at all, it just works.

The MyDrive map database, however, is road oriented, as a mentioned above. "Main" dirt roads may appear on it, but you'll usually have to zoom in to find them. For example, see the 2 screen shots below:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.59.35 AM.png

There is a "main" dirt road that runs east along the bottom of the topmost green section. You can only see it when you zoom in.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 7.00.19 AM.png
  20. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I am in a "new to me" area in the Sierra Foothills around Auburn. There are so many roads up here it's easy for me to get lost. If I was to adventure down a dirt road that say may not be marked, and took a bunch of cut offs or went left or right at intersections to explore, would it track that and would I be able to turn around and find my way back out via the TT ?