1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything "could be better." The relevant inquiry is always "is it the best alternative for my specific application."

What put me over the edge with Garmin was them charging $99 for every European map update for my "lifetime maps" Nav 5. Seems they only consider "lifetime maps" to be in the area the unit was originally purchased. TomTom's lifetime maps are worldwide.

Everything has limitations.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, good to know about the beta mode - do you know if it's flagging US roads as well?
  3. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use MyRoute app for designing routes for my 550. It has ability to select different maps as shown below and pasting "Pisgah Inn on the BlueRidge Pkwy" in Find a place box produces this:

upload_2020-2-3_8-49-19.png
    Traxx and Jarlaxle like this.
  4. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Appears to be Europe only at this point.
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    What happens if you put in the address for the campground?
  6. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:
    Thank you all including KSU for the extra effort and help. The only off road use will be for actual dirt roads/forest service of which comprise a small percentage of my total riding arena. This will mostly be for exploring my new digs in the Sierra's of which undoubtedly will include some dirt roads but majority paved. Thanks for helping me understand it's strong / weak points. Sounds like it will fit a high percentage of my needs along with simplicity. Have phone will travel ! LOL
    kickstandsup likes this.
  7. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    Received my Rider 550. What a cluster fuck. Set up "MyDrive" account etc.. Unit set up seemed to go ok last night until it came time to do updates. Let it run overnight and it kept kicking itself offline. Have strong net signal and all other devices work flawlessly. Wake up this morning to "no internet connection" and only partial updates performed due to kicking itself offline. NO SUPPORT FROM TOMTOM via chat or phone. Even though number says their open Saturdays...recording says not. Tried reconnecting to no avail. Finally did get reconnected to net but no map showing. Turned unit on and no GPS signal, or I should say "no US maps" (which I had last night) screen blank with green background, cursor arrow but no map. Went to settings and "reset device"... this was a big mistake. Now when trying to reset up device, I chose English (US) and then no option to d' load US maps. Only Asia, Brunai and bum fuck Egypt. No US or North Am, Canada or Mexico. Cycled on off many times, connected to "MYDRIVE"..tried everything. So stuck at this point. WTF ?
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thankful I never had issues like that! I have found that it takes entirely too long to “update” maps, so I just uninstall the North America one (after installing another small map pack), and then reinstall it fresh. Takes <1hr on my WiFi.
  9. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us more about your My Route? Looks interesting.
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    That sounds incredibly frustrating. Not sure what number you're calling, the one I have is 866-486-6866. Only open M-F however.

It does sound like you're missing a (the) map. One suggestion is to hold the power button down until you get the drumbeat roll, that's a reset.

Where did you buy your device? Reason I ask, is that once TT customer service had to "enable" my MyDrive account to get the European maps and all that info. After they did that, everything downloaded easily; before they did it, I could not get the European map.
  11. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    KSU, tried all that. Went to their site for help, nothing works. Bought straight from TT. What's weird is it worked last night.. Set up account, set up device, had map, all options etc.. then nothing this morning after trying to reboot due to kicking itself off line. I have a working "mydrive" on my phone!

There is a "reset" in the settings, that's the one I used. Big mistake...
  12. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Right, FWIW, I believe holding down the power button until you get the drumroll is "different" than using the reset option from the screen. Not sure, but worth a try until you talk with TT.
  13. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    Thanks... tried that many times. Goes to "choose a language" once English (USA) is selected, next screen is "choose map", shows 8 choices, none of them on our side of the globe..
  14. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    BUT, will it let you select a map? If so, I would, then continue thru the process. You might be able to change it once finished; TT might have to "enable" it for you, as they did Europe for me. Either way, you'll be able to get the map you want when you talk to TT. Also, just FYI, if you want the US/Can/MX map AND something else, you'll likely need a memory card. US and Europe was too big to be on the unit at the same time w/o a memory card. Takes up to 32mb.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  15. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    No dice. Thanks....will report back once a hold of TT
  16. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggest you watch the YT video which explains all features of this application. Please FF to 7:00, this is where it starts. The speaker refers to this application as a 'social' app but it is up to individual user how to use it. My all routes are created as PRIVATE and I don't belongs to any groups or organize / participate in any evens. Using Library option could be a good start to design your own trip(s) and Roundtour option is also very good starting point to create one day trips. All explain in the video, link above. The Webinar room has plenty YT videos which provide more detail information of specific feature, e.i. uploading routes to TomTom or Garmin GPS units, how to create routes which will look the same on TT and Garmin GPS units, and much more.
    I'm not affiliated with MyRoute creator(s) in any way, this is just solution I decided to use because it works for me.
    dimon and Traxx like this.
  17. dimon

dimon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using MyRoute since the beginning, I used to use TYRE, and brought me to MyRout. Absolutaly love the platform and bir proponent of it. I just finished planning our 8 days trip in British Columbia, and used for rout creation. I love how smooth I can transfer planned routes to my TomTom.
    Traxx and jasiu like this.
  18. mototifosi

Oddometer:
    All fixed up. TT customer service was fast and helpful. Updates all done, correct maps installed and a way we go...sort of. Will test this weekend.
    thanks for all your helpful tips and info. You are what make this a great site!
  19. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in getting one of these, Amazon currently has them for $251, brand new. May be Prime customers only, but mine's on the way. :clap
  20. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    Free shipping, and free returns, so worth a try. Just ordered one.

Of course, now I need to buy a bike...

kickstandsup, AlfromNH and tsak8 like this.