New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SantaFeTrailer likes this.
  2. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
  3. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
  4. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll confess: I bought one last year and wound up returning it because I was on the cell-phone-as-GPS bandwagon. I just bought another one, because as powerful and useful as a cell phone is as a GPS, to me it was also very "fiddly". A dedicated GPS to me is much more user-friendly. Neither device is perfect, but both can be very powerful, maybe in different ways, and I'll keep both at the ready.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using my 720 TomTom car GPS and then my phone but am keen to look at the 550, in both previous uses I connected a 3.5mm headphone jack with moulded earbuds for sound but apparently the 550 doesn't have an earplug jack. So its Bluetooth or nothing? Do they have a built-in FM radio or the ability to play music?
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    I have one, nice purchase, I just use as a sat nav,

I use it for uk off road byways too
  7. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Yes, no and no.
  8. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very concise, thanks. Well, that's a bit of a krink in my cunning plan to replace the use of my Android phone. I am heartily sick of the phone battery going flat and refusing to take a charge when used as a GPS and music provider about 3 hrs into a day ride, add a bit of wet weather and the phone just doest cut it. Now that bike Tomtoms have reached a reasonable cost I was hoping that would do it all with one gadget. Back to the drawing board for me. How do you filter out road noise and hear the sound of the Tomtom instructions, that's why I liked the earmold earbuds with there wire sound system. Do these Bluetooth gadgets only use helmet-mounted speakers or can you plug in earbuds to them?
  9. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    for certain helmet bluetooth units, you have the ability to plug in your own speakers too.. that speakers can be ear buds also ... or you can get something like this : I twill let you get the commands from the Tom Tom to your earbuds, but pheon calls may not be very gr8 ...

Anker Soundsync A3352 Bluetooth Receiver for Music Streaming with Bluetooth 5... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H5C2BQX/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_ZgH3Eb0PZ13E1
  10. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a BT receiver tucked in my jacket pocket and S-plug isolating ear buds. The TT pairs easily with these, they last about 5 hours, and have a volume control. That last bit is VERY important b/c when you stream the TT audio to BT, the TT no longer controls the volume, the BT receiver does. I have two of the dongles and just change them out mid-day on a long ride. Inexpensive, too, $16.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUXYVOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 5.44.46 AM.png
  11. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's heading in the right direction at least. How does that work if you are running 2 Bluetooth gadgets at the same time. TT for GPS and speed camera alerts and an Android phone for music, we inevitably end up at some point on a boring bit of slab and the music makes that more tolerable. I am thinking music mute when TT engages automatically?
  12. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    I think you're asking a lot for $17. :lol3 AFAIK, these dongles will pair with 1 BT device. I suppose you could pair it with the TT, plug your earbuds into a splitter, one going to the paired dongle, the other to you phone's earphone outlet. I doubt anything will mute that way, however. Perhaps there are other BT receivers that can run two channels, IDK.

For me, I don't care about making/getting phone calls or music, I don't want anything "hanging off" the side of my helmet, and I want the directions in my ear with isolating earbuds, not speakers in the helmet, so this works perfectly. YMMV.
  13. turtlespeed

Oddometer:

this links to 2 BT Devices :) I have a simialr devices (older model)

Anker Soundsync A3352 Bluetooth Receiver for Music Streaming with Bluetooth 5... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H5C2BQX/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_ZgH3Eb0PZ13E1
  14. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking danger. If the TT connects to my phone via Bluetooth and I use the phone for music and connect the earbuds to the phone via the 3.5mm headphone jack do you recon the TT instructions would mute the music? That's what used to happen years ago when I Bluetooth my old TT to my car radio. I think that's what happens when you do this with bike Comms systems.
  15. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MAD!
  16. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
  17. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I have been able to link my TT and my cell phone via BT with my Sena. It’s not a good threeway, nothing like the brunette and the redhead in the army...but I digress.
    Honestly I don’t use the BY audio on the TT, it’s too problematic. I turn the volume up all the way on the internal speaker. That is loud enough that it can be heard and attracts my attention to the screen. I run Spotify to my helmet for tunes.
    I haven’t had good luck with my iPhone and the TT. Perhaps it’s better with an Android, I don’t know.
    I have been running it this way for a while now and it works ok. Still less shitty than Garmin.
  18. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    I also run the TT550 with Sena and Android. Agreed its not the most elegant 3way , but what I have found is that proper restarting the TT550 helps with most BT connection issues.

I dont hear music on rides, I prefer the quite .. but occasionally when I have it has worked ok.

Also, the Sena can connect to the TT550 as a second phone or as a GPS. I had issues when I connected it as the second phone, but connected as GPS it is much better.
  19. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Rider 550 in March, and have been using it mostly for day trips so didn't wire up the charger. I finally got around to connecting the mount to power to charge the unit on the bike, and discovered even tho the mount is getting 12v, it's not providing power to the TT. I contacted TT support and after a little back and forth they sent me a FedEx tag and I shipped the mount back to them for replacement.
    On 6/26 they emailed saying they didn't receive it. On 6/26 I sent them a screenshot of the FedEx tracking showing it was received by them 6/22. Since then I have heard *nothing* from them, despite emailing pretty much daily. TT has no phone support, and I have had no success connecting with anyone via chat. :hair
  20. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    You know, I recognize that we're all doing the best we can under extremely trying circumstances. However, the list I have of people who haven't called me back or can't manage to get anything done after weeks of me trying to make them, is getting way too long.