New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    Is there a simple way to cancel the current route? Sometimes I just decide I want a different ride and really don't want to spend my riding time dicking around with sub-menus.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had this as the TomTom customer service number: 866 486 6866. When I called, got VM that says "we now support all our customers via email and chat." Disappointing. Paging @AdamChandler just fyi...
  3. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Yes, 2 ways:

1. Lower left of screen while you're in your route are 4 dots in a circle, the Menu button, touch that. Brings up the menu screen. Select Current Track (might have to scroll to the right depending on the order you have the options in). That will give you a Clear Track button.

2. You can put the Clear Track button on the Route Bar so all you have to do is hit it there and it will clear it. Go to Menu, Appearance, Route Bar, Show Clear Route button, toggle right. This is how I've set mine up.

Hope that helps.
  4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m still waiting on my local Honda dealership to give me a price quote on a new bike... I sent that email in May. Their automated response to me to expect 2-3 days delay. I bought the bike elsewhere in June...
    tsak8 likes this.
  5. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    What are the speed camera warnings like on the TT 550? Reliable? Esp from anyone reading in UK/Europe?
  6. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    My experience last summer mostly in the Alps was that they were pretty good. Not every single one, but good. Nice to get that little "bong" in your ear as a reminder. Of course, no experience this year... :muutt
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    Just bought a TT 550 but it's a bit of a disappointment and I think it's going back to the shop. I though I'd be able to control my phone a bit better from it (iPhone) but from what I see, the only control is a button to activate Siri.
  8. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    It's funny, so many folks today seem to want an "integrated communication sat nav device" that perhaps also makes espresso :lol3

Personally, I don't want to be able to make or receive calls while on the bike. Nor texts. I do want a reliable, rugged, waterproof sat nav with software that can plan intricate tertiary road routes on my laptop, at my leisure, and then follow them accurately. Because, to me, that's the only reason I use a sat nav.

Garmin, IMO, fails miserably at this b/c Basecamp is so ridiculously hard and time consuming to use. Phones also fail at this b/c they are simply not robust enough and I would never bolt my primary emergency communication device to the bike.

The TT has, and continues, to work better than anything else...for me and the above scenario.

As always, YMMV and everybody wants different things. That's why they make vanilla, chocolate and strawberry...:photog
  9. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Base-camp works well after you learn it... I used the New England Riders Training material and it took may be 1 day to get the hang of BC. I had been trying for several months trying to learn it by myself, but a good training is what was needed.

My pet peev is that my BC crashes all the time, And I loose all the work done till then. I don't know why as I tried to reinstall the complete Windows system to make sure that the OS was clean, but the crashing continues.

There is nothing in the market that is free and similar to BC Capabilities.

PS: I am a TT550 user . The transfer of routes form Desktop to GPS is so smooth easy ... and the gpx import / export on TT website .. I love it.... easy to plan and adjsut tracks ... when the track transfers to TT, TT just simply follows the track and give instructions... no need to recalculate anything on the device ...

love my TT
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:

LOL...you've elegantly summarized the problems with Basecamp: you need a day of professional flogging, er, training to know how to use it AND it crashes all the time. I believe the technical term for that type of software is POS.

Completely agree on the TomTom MyDrive portal. Simple, effective, easy. Especially in Europe where the Beta mode highlights all the "good" roads.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  11. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    I don't want to make calls on the bike either, but I'd like to be able to answer if my wife calls. Anyway, the main reason why I want control of the phone, is because I like to listen to music if I'm riding on the slab. If I can control my phone/music from the GPS, then I don't, for example, need to stop if my phone gets stuck in an endless loop of Barry Manilow.

--

Anyone know if the procedure for programming a route on a Garmin XT on the GPS without using Basecamp is reasonably easy?
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn’t there a Garmin XT thread? Fwiw, I use my Palktalk Bold’s voice command functions to control music playback. Works great, regardless of which GPS.
  13. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    You can't skip songs from your helmet system?

Barry Manilow covbering...Meat Loaf?!

14. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    There are 5 simple steps to happiness: :photog

Step 1: Remove all Barry Manilow from your phone, music feed, iPod, CD and album collection immediately
    Step 2: Take down the Barry Manilow poster from your bedroom wall
    Step 3: Train everyone you know that, sometimes, you might be unavailable for 2 hours at a stretch. Difficult, I know.
    Step 4: Train yourself to be comfortable with your own thoughts. Even more difficult.
    Step 5: Use the TT and MyDrive to plot any road route you'd like and live happily ever after...

I second the suggestion to post your Garmin inquiry to any/all of the Garmin threads. I'm sure the collective will tell you how simple and reliable it is. And IMO, plotting any "complex" route on the device itself (TT, Garmin, phone, whatever) is WAY more difficult than sitting with a laptop and an espresso (or beer, wine, bourbon, scotch...). They are just too small.

But again, everybody wants different things. I want a woking sat nav and to not bang my head on concrete. :D
    cblais19 likes this.
  15. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I love the Rider 550. I really do. I hate that they have not updated the MyDrive software in a year for both iOS and Android.

The rider with iOS is broken, if you ask me. Yes, there is a work around, but it is inelegant and requires futzing with the unit every time you want to ride and get traffic information. TT have had a year to make it so that process is automated, or have another solution - but they haven't seemed to do a single thing, except adopt a kludge that one of their users discovered and posted to their complaint forum. For a long time it was speculation that Apple broke something in iOS 13 - and now they haven't fixed it with iOS 14, so it looks like TT has to learn how to play in the Apple playground. I understand that this isn't an issue with Android, but I'm provided my phone from my employer, so I don't get a choice.

This isn't just their rider units, it's ALL TT units. I am so angry and frustrated about this. I often end up picking the superior, not most popular, technology - and it ends badly. Now I'm tempted by the Zumo XT, which would sync with my other Garmin products including my InReach.

Come on TomTom. Fix it. You can't claim to get real-time traffic notifications if, you know, the notifications actually don't work.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Yamasakialo

Yamasakialo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 550 for 1 day. It gave me 3 wrong turns on the way to a restaurant 11 miles from my house. First and last time I used it. TT is now back in possession of it.
  17. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is sitting in a drawer, I have gone back to using my phone. TT Go.
    Magus likes this.
  18. kickstandsup

Oddometer:

What good is something that syncs with something else but is still a shit sat nav? Plotting tertiary road routes on a Garmin leads you to BaseCamp, which is just a different spelling of hell.
  19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the workaround for iOS ? I can never get the traffic to work. The 550 works fine as a street gps for the most part but it has difficulty with some dirt roads and class 6 from my experience. The display is also strange with the lightly colored roads that are barely visible. Even in the higher contrast mode it’s still hard to see the side roads. Every GPS I have had seems to have at least 1 issue. I dread using my phone on the bike because of waterproofing issues and the possibility of damage or loss of the ridiculously priced iphone.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are your referring to side roads not on a route?

I'll be honest, I only use the thing for pre-planned routes. If it's navigating within an urban area, I'm going to be using my phone (voice only - that's generally enough for me to make turns); but the only times I have issues is when the planned route takes me to roads that aren't, which isn't a fault of the 550.