New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am referring to the display of side roads at all times. They display in such a light color that they are barely visible aha instead the background color.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. ruckus430

ruckus430 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TT550 is good enough but if you import a gpx track and even a small portion of that gpx track doesnt jive with the current TT map be prepared to have a really different routing. Its not perfect but its ok and porbably only for street riding
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    A confluence of things have occurred for me. I've been frustrated with my Tomtom for a while, with the goofy kludge to fix the traffic data problems, which is a pain in the ass. Darling wife knew that, and knew that the new Zumo XT integrated with my inReach (which she calls the "Husband Tracker" when I'm on my solo trips). So, under the tree this year has been a shiny Zumo XT for me. Turn it on, traffic works. There's nothing to futz with. It integrates with my other Garmin sh!t. I liked the TomTom while it worked, but this is XT is now in striking distance price-wise to the Tomtom and, it seems, quite superior - and I've only just started using it.

Those frustrated with a now non-supported product (as I feel the TomTom and mydrive are) might want to consider a change.
  6. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    I've got an issue (well, let's just focus on my GPS issue for now) that maybe one of you has some thoughts on. If I am planning a route in Mydrive and click on a point and then select "add stop" it actually routes to some point miles farther along the road. I have tried clicking in different places in the area and it still routes to that random (?) point at a junction further along. Not a big deal in this case, but seems a little odd.

edit: note that I did buy the TT and have been using it. Much happier with it than with my Zumo, which I returned within a week. I just started using mapstogpx.com so I can plan out routes in Google Maps and transfer via wifi from Mydrive to the TT. I really like not having to go down to the garage and get the unit and plug it in to the computer. Mydrive works fine for bigger roads, but as someone else noted, you have to zoom way in to get the smaller roads (i.e., Forest Service roads) to show, and then you kind of lose track of where you are. Google Maps shows those at a larger scale. So, depending on my trip I will either use Mydrive or this new option.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that’s a good route planning tip. MyDrive once again took me down what it swore was a forest road but turned in to private property after a bit last ride. Haven’t had your issue with adding stops, unless it thinks the intersection is one way only or something ?
  9. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Zoom in when you drop pins for destinations or stops..

I've ridden all over Europe with mine, with minimal issues, pin dropping can be a pain tho I agree
  10. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only time I have had that kind of thing happen is if I drop a pin on the wrong side of a wide road and MyDrive has me go past my pin, do a U-Turn, then arrive at my pin. My guess is that MyDrive thinks the road may have a median in the middle of it preventing a left turn into where the pin is. ...if that makes sense. Any chance it is doing this? Or is it actually ending the route beyond your pin? Any screen shots of MyDrive showing the issue?
  11. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    It does end the route beyond the pin, but not on a divided highway. After spending some time riding down smaller roads the last two days (played hooky and got in 1,000+ miles) I do think it's a routing function. It's comical, because I'd deviate from the route and be on a deserted two-lane country road and it would direct me to drive for 17 miles and then make a u-turn. I guess it's defaulted to not allowing U-turns. '

It's not a big deal, but it ends up making the route look longer than it really ends up being.