New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a screen sensitivity setting for thin gloves (pretty sensitive) or thick gloves (very sensitive - don't even need to touch the screen properly). I haven't ridden in more than a few small showers since I've had it but the rain didn't affect the screen in either sensitivity.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

This video clip was a concern, as I'll ride through any wet weather..

The wet screen seems to not like rain

3. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So will I, but there’s none here to ride through. I didn’t have that screen problem with rain on mine though mine is angled down further than the one in the vid.
  4. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I had watched that but my planned mounting location is on an accessory shelf right behind the windscreen of my R1200RT, which, generally, gets at worst a fine mist during torrential downpours...and I live in stinking hot Texas which doesn’t get that much rain anyway. I’m also wondering if this was on the light gloves setting without a screen protector, I am planning on putting a screen protector on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Update on mine. It has been stuck in US customs so far. Once it clears customs (which has no set time at this point) it will be sent to me within 1-3 days. This is not Chromeburners fault, just BS import stuff. May have just been easier to get it from TomTom directly. But as I said, I am cheap and patient.

6. Ryan72

Ryan72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine appears to be out for delivery today. We’ll see when I get home (late) tonight. May be a week before I can truly test, but I’ll start tinkering right away.

I’m cheap too; my Amazon price was $320 with free shipping.
  7. mikecarpenter

mikecarpenter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man you guys shouldn't have been so cheap. Last weekend only TomTom was sending out bitcoin to all Rider 550 users.

Obviously I'm full of crap and jerking your chain
    Ryan72 likes this.
  8. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Maybe mine automatically downloaded it while sitting in frigging customs.

9. zokn

zokn ...In a Hand Basket

Oddometer:
    Ordered my 550 from the Canadian TomTom site in May and got it June 4th. That's a week only for delivery from Texas to Nova Scotia, including customs. TomTom shipping handled all the customs, etc. so it came straight to me via FedEx without any additional costs. That's excellent service, and, boy, do I wish other US based firms would do the same: cross-border shopping can be a drag.

So far, my Rider 550 is operating exactly as I would wish. I've used it in the car and on the bike, for winding whatever-take-me-somewhere rides and for get-me-there-fastest. I never had traffic reporting before, and that was nice during our trip to Toronto in June. The 550 replaced an older Rider 2013 model.

It paired with my iPhone easily and also with my intercom. I don't make or receive calls, so I can't comment on that feature, and although I've had calls come, I've rejected them. I don't play music when riding, so i've got no insight into that function. However, every now and then my helmet thinks I'm asking for music or radio and starts playing; I've learned how to say, "Radio: off!" just the right way.

Nav instructions from the Rider 550 are good, timely, and easy to follow. Screen is fine except when sun, bike, and eyes are in the best possible positions to give maximum glare, but that lasts only for seconds, or I can slightly tilt the unit - or my head! I've had no problems with either my heavy gloves or light weight summer ones on the screen. In the car, being able to change screen touch sensitivity is a great feature. Search and all functions are fast. Data reported (speed ETA, traffic, etc.) is great. If I digress or go off route, the 550 adjusts very quickly and gives me a new route. I can easily cancel a route, too, when I want to digress, then re-enter it and be back on my way to the original destination.

I've imported tracks from Furkot, and that works, but I prefer to use Furkot on my desktop as a planner only. On the road, I'll refer to my Furkot planned trip on the iPad daily, then just type in the next destination on a daily basis into the GPS and take it from there. Or, to be more accurate, let it take me!

I'm happy with my purchase.
  10. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine from chrome burner Sunday afternoon, arrived Thursday morning
  11. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well, still no 550 here. I’m guessing US customs takes their sweet time with packages from the Netherlands due to the drug stuff there.
    Lesson in life, if you are cheap they will test your patience haha.

12. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks like it might be a replacement for my Zumo. Can anyone describe the map detail as you zoom out? On the Zumo, minor roads appear until 0.3 mile (about 500 meter) then start to disappear. On older Garmins the minor roads would remain visible until 1.2 mile (1.9 km) This was good in rural areas where all the roads are minor and you could determine if a road went over the mountain or not. In its infinite wisdom Garmin doesn’t think it necessary to see the road you are actually traveling on.

I’d like to be able to see more detail zoomed out further. I don’t often use routes. I tell my wife I’ll be back in a few days or more, point the bike in a general direction and decide along the way so, map detail is more important to my traveling style. I’ve read the owners manual and didn’t see any mention of it.
  13. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Ok. Mine just showed up from Holland today...two weeks total due to customs. Have it updating right now. It was very easy to connect to my WiFi and logging in to my account was also smooth. I will update with my impressions when I actually get to play with it for a minute.

14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Opened my Rider up (it showed up after the trip I wanted it for :doh), and noticed it has a very unique smell - almost musty/mildewy. Anybody else notice this?
  15. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Nope. Smelled like plastic to me. Maybe they hid the extacy that they were holding mine for in customs in yours.

16. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Ok. Problem number one, only European maps on it and no ability to download US maps. I’m pretty sure that is just a subscription problem, I have already emailed their CS about it and got one reply saying that someone would be in touch shortly. Hopefully they don’t mean Monday.

17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Odd, the first thing it asked me to do during setup is select a language/location and then it promptly downloaded NA maps. No log in required.
  18. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    NA was not an option for me. It was language then my choice of Europe haha. From what I read on the TT forums they add the appropriate map to your profile and you just run the update. I’m downloading the current European maps to my as card right now, figured it wouldn’t hurt to have them as I do go there occasionally.

19. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Ok. After a quick five minute call to TT’s customer service this morning I now have world maps activated. North America is now downloading.

20. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Managed to get the North America maps downloaded. After playing around with it and going for a quick spin with it, I officially like it so far. It is very fast on the boot up and satellite acquisition, i really like the landscape/portrait mode. The GPS itself is very fast at responding to touch inputs and opens menu items really quickly. It calculates a route really quickly, even in thrill mode. The screen contrast is good in standard mode, and it has the high contrast mode too. I like the UI color modifications, why have boring Garmin colors when you can have lime green....or pink even. I absolutely love the fact that you update, transfer your planned rides from mydrive, and generally do everything from a WiFi connection. The screen was quite readable in our "lovely" Texas sunlight, did not wash out at all, however the sun was not directly on the screen at any time during my ride. Aside from the GPS, I rather like the mydrive online mapping page. Its easy to plan a route on, its easy to import a planned route from Furkot or something similar. I did also make a route up in tyre and save it to my pc, then uploaded it to mydrive...which also worked really well. This is a far cry from that lousy basecamp nonsense that I had been pretty much forced to use due to Garmin's overall lack of compatibility with any of those services/programs.
    No prospects of rain any time soon, so I will not be testing out the screen over-sensitivity thing any time soon.
    TonyKZ1 and ShineySideUp like this.