New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But this unit is capable of saving tracks through the woods, right? And any saved track/route (like one ridden in the woods) can be followed later? Regardless, would another unit (Garmin 396 LMTS for instance) offer any more usability in the woods? Sorry, "GPS" is not a familiar language for me....
  2. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Yes. It can record your routes and they can be shared and reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick answer, BigKev72! Was looking at the Garmin 396 LMT-S, but don't like the complaints other users have regarding it. I have seen no similar complaints regarding the 550, and so think it is the one I will order.
  4. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the 550 w/premium pkg off Chromeburner tonight... currently on sale.
    Tried the TomTom site, but couldn't find all the extra accessories (car mount, 12V plug, carrying case & security lock) bundled together. Purchased separately would have cost a small fortune.
    At least on the Canadian site link (which is French only...)

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to using it. Garmin Basecamp turned me off from planning any detailed trips off it. Just couldn't pull the trigger on another Garmin product.
    Fingers crossed this works out...
  5. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth I have had mine about six months now, use it everyday in all weathers from blazing sunshine to torrential rain and in a wide temperature range from 46C down to -4C. I use the online trip planner, the iPhone app and also let it work out stuff itself depending what I'm doing/where I'm heading and so far it has been 100% flawless. Really pleased with it.
    Bradster49 and Argus16 like this.
  6. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I’m five months in on mine. Same results. It works great, easy as hell to use the offline map planning to create and upload routes via WiFi. It’s very easy to see in all lighting conditions. The functionality with my iPhone is sporadic, but I prefer to use my iPhone direct to my sena for Spotify anyway.
    I got very angry with Garmin and made the switch away from them. No regrets at all. I hate Garmin for what their update did to my previously great gps, and for the lousy way they decided to handle it.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  7. ronskibeat

ronskibeat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pardon the sidetrack... I have an older tomtom (400) that I haven't used recently (not much at all really) and I found out that the tyre mapping has been replaced?
    What mapping software is currently in use? Is there a free mapping program that allows offline routing? I'm not
    very well versed as you can tell....
  8. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    TomTom MyDrive connect is the current stuff for the 400. At least that is what a quick google search tells me.

9. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soooooo, I will be recieving my Rider 550 on Thursday the 29th. I have been poking around in My Drive and like it much better than Garmin. Anything that I need to do first upon opening the box?
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Connect to WiFi and update.
  11. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet
  12. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Then call TomTom for US maps before they close for the weekend
  13. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got mine yesterday from Chromeburner (NL). Canada Post rotating strikes likely caused a one week delay. No biggie.
    Hardest part was the initial set-up. Fine if you're in Europe, not so much for North America.
    I stumbled thru it (d/l 2 apps) and got the Canada/Alaska maps downloaded. Picked a voice, selected units, paired my phone, sent and received some texts.
    Went for a drive last night (got the premium pack w/car mount etc.) in my car and it was excellent. Easy to adjust volumes, alerts, brightness etc. VERY quick... recalculating was a breeze. Very impressive. Beats my Garmin easily.

I'm pretty sure I could have d/l'd the US map as it was available to chose from the list. Not sure why a call to TT would have been necessary.

Going to chose a mounting spot today on my VStrom. Probably on the handlebars beside the Oxford heated grip controller. I think the spot on my fairing mounted dash
    will be too bumpy. It was for my phone mounted on a shorty arm w/XGrip. Nice sight line there though. But the TomTom is much heavier than my Samsung.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine came with EU maps installed but it took me a few minutes to dump that and switch to NA. No call or anything required.
  15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    My Rider 2013 has lifetime maps and I'm still getting updates via TomTom Home.
    As you can see in the attached photo, I've got the unit customized to suit me/ride perfectly.

I think TomTom beats the competition hands down on the basis of "bang for your buck".
    I use Garmin and Magellan also but in other vehicles than my AT.
    I ride 50/50 on/off road.
    Been following this thread and still not motivated enough to upgrade for the latest and greatest from TomTom.
    Just can't help but conclude that its worst competitor is the older model Rider.
    /
    The new hardware
    -features are great but nothing really stands out; ie. no game changing feature recognized.
    /
    The new software
    -Nothing new on the software front; gotten worse for off road or ADV riders.
    I'm comfortable with most software as a user and former engineer.
    Been using Tyre with TomTom Home to connect with the Rider.
    For on the road trips- never had a problem with routing or adhoc twisty roads suggestions- love it.
    However, off-roading with uploaded tracks is the weakest area with TomTom and it looks like it still is... bummer :(
    In Tyre, when uploading a gpx track, often there are sections that the map does not connect properly.
    The online, MyDrive routing is worse than Tyre as it puts up more deviations compared to Tyre with the same import file.
    Is TomTom moving away from ADV?
    If TomTom pays more attention to the underlying map sources in the US, It will be a no brainer for me to upgrade my unit.
    PS. my experience is using Rider 2013 in the US only.

Attached Files:

16. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Updated, maps loaded and set a couple of POI. My mount gets here tomorrow and then I get to route the power.
  17. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering moving away from Garmin to the 550. Can someone tell me if the TomTom 550 motorcycle mount is compatible with a standard 1" Ram ball? I've got a ton of RAM stuff and an wondering how much of it I can use when I transition to TomTom. I've got two bikes that I want to move the 550 between and am looking for the easiest/best/cheapest way to do that. Hoping that I can use two of the $65 (+/-) mounts and my existing RAM stuff. Thanks
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it comes with a RAM mount by default.
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  19. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  20. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers. I'll order a hardware mount for each bike.