New Tomtom Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Playsatan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Playsatan

Playsatan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there's already a thread running on this but has anyone heard any details on the new version of the Rider version?

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/rider/index.jsp

I like the Tomtom interface and have it installed on my phone but use it mainly for car use. I was all ready to pick up a Zumo but if the specs and features are good on this I may have to hold off.
  2. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    I'm actually interested in this. When the current version came out I was hoping it would be something I'd pick up. Unfortunately it wasn't. I wouldn't hold my breath on the April release date though. They were so late with this generation, they missed all of the prime riding season. Oneast thought, TomTom's early versions of this current RIDER was buggy. I expect the same thing with this new version.

What I'd like to see is a route planner that's so easy that even a dummy like me can do it.
    billmaxx97 likes this.
  3. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like that it's not $800. :huh
  4. SimonUK

SimonUK Grumpy old bugger

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they will have added enough internal memory to hold the whole maps, this time.
  5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Playsatan

Oddometer:
  7. Playsatan

Oddometer:
    The new TomTom Rider includes a number of features designed specifically for motorcyclists:

• Winding Roads: Find the most exciting winding roads and avoid the boring straights.
    • Hilly Roads: Stay at sea level or climb the highest peaks.
    • Round-trip Planning: Simply select where you want to ride and TomTom Rider will find the most exciting route.
    • Portrait View: Simple rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.
    • PC Route Planning: Pre-plan a touring adventure before leaving home.
    • Route Sharing: Share a route with other bikers before setting off or after you return home.
    • Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Ride with real-time traffic information for the lifetime of the device.
    • Audio Instructions via Bluetooth: Keep your eyes on the road with audio instructions delivered through your headset.
    • Track Support: Upload tracks (GPX format) and your TomTom Rider will show you the way.
    • Hands-free Calling: Call hands-free while you ride.
    • Weather-proof Design: As weather ready as you are.
    • Glove-friendly Screen: Use your TomTom Rider even while wearing gloves.
    • Sunlight Visibility: Make use of different colour options for different times of day.
    • Trip Recording: Record your trip and relive the adventure any time.
    • Trip Statistics: See how far, how fast and for how long you have ridden.
    • Fully Interactive Screen: Pinch, zoom and swipe to interact with the map.
  8. kniepm

kniepm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my email from the AMA today, I saw that TomTom is giving a 10% discount to AMA members.
  9. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this newer version than I bought last year? I can't find ads for it. What is the screen size and resolution?

I like mine and Tyre, other than screen size.

Correction-- should have looked at link in first post!
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has some nice specs and appear to be targeting Garmin's zumo 590LM. But the proof is in the execution.
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    My single biggest gripe with my Garmin is that after I create a very detailed, explicit route on the PC and transfer to the Garmin - the Garmin has a pretty consistent habit of altering a few miles of it, or adding it's own little "tit" routes.

All the mentioned auto-routing features listed above strike a big red flag to me that the TomTom will have the same inherent route-logic flaws - I don't want the device to even try to mess with my pre-planned route. I hope I'm wrong and looking forward to seeing reviews from folks that use it in the boondocks. All that being said.....I'm sold on smartphone navigation unless this new TomTom is about $100, lol, and dead-nuts accurate.
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The problem with using Garmin software to create a route is that Garmin passes a bunch of routing algorithm info in the Route Data. This can conflict with the settings in the GPS. In addition, if you didn't place your Via Points exactly on mapped roads, you can get route calculation anomalies in the GPS.

If you just pass Route Points to a GPS, or GPS App, the routing engine can only route through those points using the routing preference settings you select. This is the most reliable route calculation approach if you want to share routing data via App specific or GPX files.

I think the new TomTom Rider should do quite a good job - but it remains to be seen.
  13. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to route planning. I'm an even bigger moron when it comes to trying to import said routes from a computer to my GPS.

All of that is especially problematic when a trip includes something like riding through the lower 48 where the staring and ending point are the same. Like my front door to my front door.

I've seen some 48 routeds but can't fathom how to transfer that into a GPS. Maybe this new TomTom will make that process easier?
  14. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at RouteConverter? To date, I have not used a simpler program to construct a route and export to just about any format or device.
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    We have had a very different experience with RouteConverter. He does have a lot of output formats but I find the application works rather poorly on Mac OS X. But, this thread is about the new TomTom Rider so I think we could be taking it down another rabbit hole. :D
  16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    If you watched the video from the Paris Bike Show, they had a good segment of the new Rider Mount with it's built-in rotation base. Garmin hasn't figured that one out for years. :norton
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    According to the TomTom site it is not due until Spring (April).
  19. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. :D I found that information on another website, and just finished editing my previous post.

Spud :beer
  20. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Although the vast majority of Motorcyclists will never need/want to use maps other than the ones provided by TomTom, it is a significant drawback for Adventure Travel and Dual Sport riders to not be able to install third-party or custom Maps.