New Tomtom Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Playsatan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    It's all Greek to me. I guess I'm lucky in one respect that I only ride on asphalt.
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
  4. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    RAM ball and craddle. ;-)

[​IMG]
  5. hudster237s

hudster237s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1. That is funny
  6. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. jon_b

jon_b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only stock or TomTom-supplied maps? Darn, and I had my hopes up. Looks like I'll be holding on to the Nuvi 550 for a while longer until I can save my pennies for a replacement at Garmin prices :(
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suppose TomTom could surprise us but given the way they have berated OSM maps in the past I kind of doubt it.
  9. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Only Tomtom maps. And they are expensive. That's why I love so much Tomtom's interface, and hate all the rest...
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I've look at the new pricing of the TomTom Country Maps and they are significantly cheaper than Garmin's HERE maps. Having said that, they are a lot more expensive than OSM maps - which are free. :deal

TomTom is trying to protect their Mapping/Location services and Traffic business which is understandable given their poor position in the hardware market. Even Managing Director and Co-founder, Corinne Vigreux, said in an interview that she uses her smartphone in the car to navigate - using her TomTom App of course.
  11. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    In December, while touring Europe, I bought q Tomtom XL2 IQ for 60 Euros. That's $70.00usd - It came with European maps. When I crossed over to North Africa, then I used mt Garmin 62S with OSM maps. Now that I am back in North America, I want to install North American maps on my Tomtom XL2. Price? $80.00usd, or basically slightly higher than the Tomtom itself which came with Euro maps. I already have a Tomtom Start 25 w/ those North American maps, which I paid for when buying the GPS, and which can work on the XL2 too. But guess what? I cannot transfer them. I have to buy them a second time. Basically, like buying a music CD for the car's CD player, and having to buy a second copy for the home player. Duh...

I will no longer buy any Tomtom product because of their map policy. Going Garmin all the way now.

Lee
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Using cheap Automotive GPS's are your call but Garmin's Map license policy is no different than TomTom's - one map, one device. Garmin does have a few Topo Map products that are not licensed to a device and can be used on multiple. As you point out though, Garmin's strong suit is that it has an open-map platform so you can choose to use OSM maps for free. This decision, made decades ago, was what put Garmin in the dominant GPS position - IMHO.

TomTom is a Mapping/Location/Traffic Data business today. If they make any profit on hardware, it is very small.
  13. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Used the OSM maps in North Africa and was delighted. It had all the desert and dirt tracks well highlighted.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

[​IMG]
  14. gundrted

gundrted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fully understand the every unit will have it faults. You can't please 100% of the people all the time.

My main use for a GPS is to augment maps and/or travel plans. I would plan my route online with Furkot (most likely) and send it to the GPS. I'm just about to mount a Nuvi to my 1200GS and now it won't last long or it might ... who knows. I've had a GPS on a bike before and if I like it I can see getting something newer. My Nuvi 5k is a hand-me-down from my father.

With Garmin you can load different maps, free maps or even 'acquire' newer map versions. With TomTom you are locked into their maps only and there is no support for other maps. I'm assuming this means no topo maps as well.

I would say my riding is 30% off road and that consists of easy to medium fire roads around Colorado. I don't do single track and don't plan to. How well do the TomTom maps cover and route on Fire Roads?

The hardware seems to be similar from Garmin to TomTom. They both have touch screens, bluetooth, daylight readable screens, mp3 player (i think), batteries for off cradle use and are GPS. Garmin does have 6 million different versions that are all about the same. TomTom only has one or two versions. Does anyone know of true internal hardware difference?

Does TomTom offer a Topo map options?
    Have current TomTom users really needed or missed Topo maps?
    Over do people find Topo maps useful when only doing fire roads?
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    You're going to have to wait, like the rest of us, to determine just how good the new TomTom Rider is. Spec Sheet's don't tell the real story as to how all of that Tech works together or for your purposes.

As for Maps, TomTom only provides what they call a "Travel Map": no Topo Maps. Personally, I find Topo maps of little use on the GPS when riding: the contour lines obscure the roads when zoomed out to a reasonable perspective.

I wouldn't expect TomTom to every support OSM maps on their Apps or GPS devices - they own Maps and according to the co-Founder, OSM maps are "dangerous". :rofl
  16. gundrted

Oddometer:
    OMG ... something is Open Source ... It must be evil :grim

Thank you for sharing the topo experience. I was concerned about the topo lines masking the roads.

I check the TomTom site and I didn't see anything about a 'Travel Map'. Where can I find info on that?
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    TomTom doesn't really give you much info about their maps but here is the link to Travel Maps. If you drill down using one of the last Rider products (2nd Edition) you will find a bit more info on size of a map region, etc.

My personal experience with TomTom Maps (previously Tele Atlas) is that they are not as detailed as HERE (Navteq) maps but a bit more detailed than OSM (a generalization on my part). I'd like to compare the 2015 TomTom Rider to the Garmin zumo 590LM but TomTom has ignored my request for an Evaluation unit.
  18. laklr650

laklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the previous version and like it a lot, and better than my Zumo in most ways. But I found two major weaknesses:

The Tyre program, which I also like, uses Google maps but the Rider uses it's own internal maps so for ADV riding on small roads I occasionally encountered situations where the maps have different roads and routing algorithms so my route in the Rider would be different from on the Tyre screen. Screwed me up more than a few times though I eventually developed a pretty good work around.

It does not support tracks, so for off road riding it was really limited.

Looking at the description for the new model it sounds like they may have addressed these issues, if so I'd be anxious to try one.

LAKLR650
    12 KLR 650
    03 FJR 1300
  19. gundrted

Oddometer:
    Great info and good to know.

Hopefully it will be released soon and we can all see whats new.
  20. gundrted

Oddometer:
    I just watched the Revzilla video on the current Rider model and they stated it only works with a Windows based PC. I then checked out the TomTom site and they don't specifically call out what OS is supported. It just makes a general reference to connecting to a 'PC'. The download section does have a Mac option, but it lists a bunch of unsupported devices. I didn't see Rider in the list, but I also don't see something that says it's supported :huh

Is the current Mac OS (10.10 or 10.9) supported?