New Tomtom Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Playsatan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waiting for more info! :)
    Can be mounted in a tall windshield? Making a mount to lock in in the shield metal mounts.
    I fear that the ram ball is necessary to be able to rotate the screen, so it can't be fitted near the windscreen

What about that 25% discount? Still available?
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the screen size and is the resolution any better than the old one?
  3. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks nice. And I like the look of the twisty mount, but not happy with their coverage on the Euro maps. Partial coverage/Connecting roads for pretty much all of the Balkans. For a unit that sells for this price!!
    And has anyone used one for real yet? Would love to know how the POI side works.
    I went back to a Peaklife/Rage unit because the Garmin 390 was sooooo bad with route planning. And finding a hotel with the Garmin was a total pain.
  4. VAlmeida

VAlmeida n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I bought my TTR400 a week ago. My first Tomtom. Before I had a Mappy x340.
    First impressions:
    Very disappointed with the way they have to transfer routes and so on from the PC to the TTR400, only by SD card
    Very disappointed with Tyre Pro. It doesn’t find TTR400 and doesn’t transfer files to it through USB;
    I would like to plan routes with connection through highway and then tracks over twisted roads, all in the same travel. I am still looking how to do it, if it is possible;
    I like to record my way outs and then see where I was “lost” and see it in the map with all the statistics, and so on, like in MyTracks for cell phones. TTR400 is very limited in this area;
    For a more than 400 dollars gadget I was expecting more from it and from Tyre Pro.
    See Tomtom forum for more information.
    I am still testing it so I don’t have a better opinion, or worse, about other points.
    By the way, it is not all bad. I like the construction of the device, the support to put it in the bike (BMW R1200RT 2007) and I told to my wife that I need to buy a new bike because yesterday I follow the TTR400 instructions to a destiny and at a certain point it sent me through a no pavement road, so I need a GS to use the TTR400 without more complains! J
  5. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The excuse to change the bike is one of the best I've ever read :D

So, you can't flow a route and at the same time record the track you have followed?
    Because sometimes we have a plan and we change it during the day... And having a record of the track would be awesome
  6. SimonUK

SimonUK Grumpy old bugger

Oddometer:
    Mine was a loyalty discount from TomTom. Ask their customer services team and see what they can do. I did and was pleasantly surprised. Plus with them charging me in euros rather than GBP, it worked out nearer 1/3rd off the UK retail price.

I cant comment on TyrePro because I use a Mac at home and am set in my ways of unix/linux. The mount could be adapted to fit a screen by NOT using the RAM mount but fixing the TomTom mountpoint direct to a flat surface. I would suggest a thin piece of rubber behind it though.

I thought that where the TomTom mount screws to the RAM mount needed a seal so I've done exactly that and used some bathroom sealant. It all powers up ok and looks clear enough on the bike. I'll be giving it a proper test at the weekend and will take some pictures if I get time.
  7. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure would love to hear or see a comparison between the 400 and the model before it, v5 2013 :freaky
  8. LIVSTROM

LIVSTROM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screw it
    Going on a trip in 2 weeks revzillia said they won't get the 400 until June. Ordered the rider 5 today knew I jumped the gun selling my zumo 450!
  9. SimonUK

Oddometer:
    Ok so I said I would check back with photos.

Today was the first day I really went out with the 400. The device works just fine for me.

There have been remarks about POI's not being available. What I have found is that the address database is now far better and putting in the name of a cafe in the middle of nowhere, found it without having to search for it as a POI. I have also looked up a couple of obscure camp sites and hotels and both times they have been found. To me, this is an enhancement.

So here are the two views of the screen. Very clear on both fronts but the real test will be in midday summer sun. This is the UK so I will have to wait a while for that to happen.

But, the information displayed is clear and easy to read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I mentioned before about the mount. The metal RAM mount attaches to the plastic TomTom fixing and the power cable goes between the two. I wasn't happy with this and have sealed the two together with waterproof mastic.

[​IMG]

So far I'm pleased with the functionality. Zooming in and out is straight forward. But, it didn't keep the same level of zooming if the device gets switched off.

I'm still undecided about having it connected to a smartphone for traffic data and mobile speed cameras but it's early days. Today I used around 16% of battery over 3.5hrs.

Connecting to my Schuberth SRC took seconds and the voice instructions were clear and audible. However, I am not keen on aural disturbance when riding so whilst it is useful to know it works, it is unlikely I'll carry on with this.

So, in all for a first try out, I'm pleased with it.
  10. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here there is a nice review/test of the rider 400... And has some red flags that would be great if @SimonUK could made clear.
    To know if they have improved the issues mentioned in the article or if the software is still too young.

http://www.tomtomax.fr/test-tomtom-rider-40-400.html

With Google translate is easy to follow and understand the review
  11. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No news yet?
  12. SimonUK

Oddometer:
    From me? Sorry but the google translate thing produces a bunch of garbage for me. I'll have a stab at it though:-

In the Cons section in their conclusion - taken straight from the translated page -
    Cons:
    â € ¢ Software lot less simple than expected © cà © ously
    â € ¢ Ã software can not handle wheelchair
    â € ¢ Basic Functionalities © s (import of POI, ...) missing
    â € ¢ € ™ Barre da Supa information © higher that hides the road
    â € ¢ Managing Road- catastrophic Book
    â € ¢ No stay Curita functions © ©  "Help Me »
    â € ¢ Inserting and removing ÂμSD impossible without tools!

Software is fine and straight forward as far as I'm concerned. Yes it it different to my old Rider but after 10 minutes of looking through the menus its fine. To me - a non issue.

Software/wheelchair - I have no idea what they are talking about.

POI - I haven't tried because so far, I haven't needed to. The new database has had everything I've looked for so far.

Top info bar - There is a setting for what information you want on the top bar. If you pick "next street name" then it will take up more room than the road number. Or, you can switch it off all together. I use road number and until I get near the junction, its pretty clear. Also, this will change with the zoom/orientation that you use. If it is taking up too much room on the horizontal view, as per their picture, turn the device through 90 degrees and the problem disappears. (see my pictures in my last post as a demo of this). Taking up too much room on the vertical? Zoom out a bit. Job done. To me - a non issue so far.

Managing Road - catastrophic book. Again, I have no idea what they are talking about.

No stay Curita functions - no idea what they are talking about

SD card insert/removal - yes its tricky the first time but doable. Use your nail to press it in rather than a fat finger and you're good to go. I can understand some people will have a problem with it but I don't.

The lifetime cameras was gratefully received by me. Free of charge and so far, regular updates that take a few seconds. Traffic is new to me on this device but my wife's Garmin (in her car) has it so it is nice free addition.

From my own standpoint, I have worked in IT for 30 years and things like software changes, sd card slots etc don't present any problems for me. I rather like seeing how devices and interfaces develop.

So far, I haven't found anything that makes me scratch my head or frustrate me.

If someone can get a better copy of the translation, I'm happy to revisit some of the points they raise.
  13. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New from every source. My post wasn't anything specific to you Simon ;)

I'll try to translate from Spanish to English. Maybe the translator makes a better job from French to Spanish as they are both Latin languages
  14. VAlmeida

VAlmeida n00b

Oddometer:
  15. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems very clear that this new Tomtom is a far cry from what might have hoped or indeed expected at this stage in the game. The review doesn't explicitly talk about routing off-road or navigating tracks etc. The apparent inability to import POIs is a huge drawback, although I suppose it might be done in a gpx file.

Garmin can sleep easy with their 590/Nav V still top of the heap (unfortunately, still priced accordingly though).
  16. LIVSTROM

LIVSTROM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving the rider v so far much easier to download gpx files, a little learning curve coming from garmin but I'm liking it more than I thought could not wait for the rider 400 big trip next week and sold my zumo.
  17. jcurtin

jcurtin n00b

Oddometer:
    After getting lost in France for a couple of hours (not a real problem, nice ride) and having done a good bit of research I am getting the new Tom Tom next week.

A friend of mine has had both and said not only the new functions like twisty routes etc. are cool but the routing is actually alot better than the garmin.
  18. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any more comparisons between the v5 and the new 400?
    Say screen brightness in sun, software, things like that.

I have an old tomtom running v5 rider software (don't ask how, lol) an the waypoint to 100 would be nice, never tried more than 48 on mine, and the screen could be better. It won't connect to my phone, and I don't use a headset yet.

Thanks much for the time,
    Joel
  19. rrarthur

rrarthur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does anyone know when or where they will/are available in the US. I would like to get used to it before i need it on my next trip.
  20. fredaroony

fredaroony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is how I mounted mine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]