New Trail/Adventure Magazine for Oz?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Burren Rider, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a press release by Morrison Media while I was poking around on the Oz Adventure Riders site. The release is for a new Trail/Adventure magazine and I couldn't help but think that some of it was a bit sketchy. Some of the quotes that I found a bit odd where:

Managing Director of Morrison Media, Peter Morrison, said Trail Bike Adventure Motorcycle Magazine would unashamedly target an important niche which wasn't being well served by the current stable of publications available to consumers.

Our aim in launching this product is to provide a vehicle for trail and adventure riders who want to know more about places to ride, what to take, what bikes are best in what conditions, what tours are available, what accessories make the difference and who generally have an interest in spending time in the saddle touring and enjoying less accessible areas of our region from behind the bars of a trail or adventure motorcycle.

Morrison Media has enjoyed great success with Freerider MX magazine, targeted to freestyle motocross, and we will now follow that with a product pitched squarely at a totally different audience.

Does anyone else find this to be a bit of a stretch :dunno. It reads a lot like some of the early Sidetrack editorials if you ask me (although most probably wouldn't). Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that there is another publication out there catering to adventure riders but I think credit should be given where it is due. Despite it's timing problems, Sidetrack seems like one of the few publications in the world that specifically caters to the adventure market and yet these guys insist that they are pioneers in the field?

Well that's it, rant over now. Hopefully the magazine turns out better than it's press release and doesn't exist merely to sell ad space and not much else. Who knows maybe as Mr Morrison clearly states "The editorial and pictorial style will reflect a higher quality standard than that seen in the current market." Pretty big claims from a new player though.
  2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Sidetrack - well it does not really cover the nonsupport vehicle type adventure rider. I think the 'new' one will simply copy the Sidetrack format like those 'lifestyle' TV thingys have- all variations on a theme. Hey guys there are a lot of uncovered themes out here in the real world FYFFs!
  3. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah I guess you have got a point there Frank. As time has gone on Sidetrack has definately moved away from that side of things a bit, but something tells me the Kirby of old is creeping back in. Delivery of his new BM has been held up a bit I believe, but look out when it turns up. It wasn't that long ago that he was crossing the country on an 1150 without a support vehicle (or riding partners).
  4. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see, I really enjoy sidetrack but would be happy to have another adventure typ magazine to read.

The guy who put that anouncement in the file is on the OAR list and rides a KTM950 and is going to be the editor of the mag or somethiong like that

Hopefully the mag will get off the gound and be good but its hard to imagine enough interest to support 2 adventure riding mags
    Greg
  5. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    He did the railway line with a support vehicle .. 11xx (and the 1200) don't have the range... :D
  6. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    I guess the press release is just typical PR nonsense, but it still annoys me when they start telling furfy's. I have known Kirby for quite a few years now and I respect what he has done for adventure riding in Oz. It seems a bit bold to ignore that in a press release by saying that they are heading into unchartered territory.
  7. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    From memory the trip over was part of a subs ride and he rode a Husky with a support vehicle in tow. The trip back was on an 1150 while the rest of the crew transported they're dirt bikes back in various ways. I guess that's one of the perks of being a magazine editor hey.

As far as I know Tony and a couple of other riders (including Rod Colling if any of you know him) are doing an unsupported run along the Canning stock route this week. Tony reckoned that he would have to carry a fuel drum on his lap for part of the trip to get the DRZ through. He'll wanna hope it doesn't leak though because fuel on the berries is not much fun.
  8. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree about Kirby, god he's a short bastard I dont know how he rides so well !!!.

When Sidetrack came on the scene it was like a breath of fresh air although a lot of the mag doesn't apply to the stuff I do on the Africa twin it's still a terrible wait till the next one arrives.

Before sidetrack, really only the stuff Kirby wrote for ADB was adventurey and there was a little bit in Two Wheels while Mick Matheson was editor but after he left, no more.
    Greg
  9. jackafrica

jackafrica sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer:
    burrenrider wrote " The press release is just typical PR nonsense and it probably should be treated as such, but it still annoys me when they start telling furfy's. "
    Here's a remnant of a bygone age -
  10. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    From http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Canning_Stock_Route.asp

Fuel
    Wiluna to Kunawarritji Community 1,160.4 km
    Kunawarritji Community to Billiluna 673.0 km
    Billiluna to Halls Creek 169.8 km

That is a lot of fuel to carry in your lap.
  11. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    I dunno Frank, I was talking to Tony a month or two ago and that was the plan then. He was hoping to only have to carry fuel in the drum until he got to the tricky stuff where he could refill the bike. When I spoke to Rod before he left he said that the DR650 he was taking had alloy sidetanks added to it that looked a bit like rocket launchers (they probably would be if it sparked). Perhaps they have organised for a fuel drop along the line somewhere, I have heard that this is done a bit along the Canning?
  12. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine and his wife rode their KTM's on the Canning about 2 years ago. They had to wait 2 years for water to subside. They did it without any help from 4WD's and completed the total trip unaided by any kind of support vehicle.

I think that they are the first two bikes to travel the Canning that way, ever.

Mick.
  13. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    From what I have heard it is pretty hard going so your friends would no doubt be proud of their acheivement. :thumb
  14. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    Quietly proud.

Mick.
  15. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Fred and Andreas Powell were the first unsupported bikes up the Canning in the mid 80's on 2 home built BMW specials, as seen below
  16. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    My memory decieves me, you are right, I totally forgot about those two! Are they still around, or have they moved on?

Did they have a fuel drop, or, did they carry fuel for the whole route.

Mick.
  17. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    It used to be 'done' at a point around the Kunawarritji Community, since they have opened a fuel station there is no need for a petrol dump.. at least not for the 4bees. There arte a number of stations that might provide petrol.. if arrangements and agreements are made WELL before time... but it would be a one off arrangment.
  18. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    I heard the Canning was closed again Frank until further notice - met up with 2 guys at Curtain Springs that had just done the Tanimai, and they had said it was closed ... have you heard anything?
  19. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    There has been a fair amount of rain around the centre...

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/TrekFeedback.asp?TrekID=58 .. has the lastest info - it is a quagmire.

Mick - the Powells were at one of the border runs that I went to. And that photo looks to be from the border... you might see them there, or at this years OCR...
  20. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Frank.

I have a mate who was stuck last week on the Plenty highway. He headed out from Boulia and was expected at Tennant Creek on the weekend. I got a radio telephone message saying he was camped out on the road due to high water, that was last Thursday and his expected delay was about 2½ to 3 days if no further rain came. He is on work related travel and in this instance I became the conduit for him and his boss.

I believe the channel country is reasonably wet at the moment, didn't know the other side was also wet.

Mick.