New Trail Construction-North Fruita Desert, Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by AdvRonski, Nov 6, 2018.

1. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    If you are familiar with the Sarlacc Trail, and the nearby Edge Loop, you will be happy to find out a trail connecting the 2 trails is under construction in the Bookcliffs north of Fruita. At this point, the 15 mile trail is being called the Sarledge Trail, and is a joint project between the BLM, MTRA, Bookcliff Rattlers, and COPMOBA. The city of Fruita has kicked in some funding as well. Some good work has already been accomplished by the Western Colorado Conservation Corps, but more hands are needed to clean up the trail, behind the trail dozer that is cutting the route in.
    This Saturday, November 10th we will be meeting at 10AM at the wellpad that is the Eastern end of the Sarlacc trail on Coal Gulch road, also known as V8/10 road. Bring your dirt bike, and ride the Sarlacc afterwards, if you'd like.

The wellpad coords are- 39 20.68/ 108 37.53
    BikePilot, dmac1, Colorado970 and 8 others like this.
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome. Unfortunately I won’t be able to join this weekend.
    It would be great to have more notice so riders can plan a little further in advance... Denver is a long day drive :-)
  3. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    The following Saturday, November 17th, will also be a work day, so if you can swing that, come on out.
  4. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Yeah we were planning to drive to Moab for the thanksgiving week and would leave Friday the 16th. So I will discuss with my crew and may spend the night in fruita and work Saturday ( if it doesn’t snow on Friday trying to head west).
  5. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im out this weekend, but will officially be living in GJ the following weekend so I may be able to make the 17th. Please post an update with any details for the the 17th.

Ben
    dmac1 and no2tracks like this.
  6. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Any idea of when the trail will be complete, and open for use? and if it'll be effected by seasonal closures?

I made a trip out there last spring, and it was nice, but many of the trails were closed seasonally.
  7. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    The Sarlacc trail system is in the Bookcliffs above the North Fruita Desert, and this area is closed from Dec 1st through May 1st. It's usually too muddy up there during that time, anyway.
    Pariahtize and _CJ like this.
  8. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to make it down this weekend.
    AdvRonski likes this.
  9. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in, look forward to seeing everybody. Give me a shout if anything changes with location meeting time and place. thanks
  10. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Well I should not of had those leftovers. Not gunna make it guys. Cannot get away from the toilet, maybe next weekend
  11. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that, Norm. See you next weekend.
  12. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    So, last Saturday was a successful work day in the Bookcliffs, and we will be having another this Saturday, the 17th. We are working on the trail tread that has been carved out by the 30-inch wide trail dozer, clearing brush and cleaning up the edges of the trail. A bonus is being able to ride some of the several miles of completed trail, before it is opened to the public.
    So, bring your dirt bike or mtb along and spend the day creating a new riding opportunity here on the Western Slope. Same place, same time, 10AM at the wellpad at the east end of the Sarlacc Trail. IMG_20181110_114754.jpg
    Plus, it's a beautiful place to spend the day.
    BikePilot, dmac1 and =o&o> like this.
  13. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ron,
    I'm planning on being there. Are shovels, etc provided or should I bring some tools? If so I was just going to ride the 950 out there.
  14. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Great, Ben! The BLM provides tools, but a small folding saw would be a good idea. I'm bringing a machete, as well.
  15. ZRCycles

ZRCycles n00b

Oddometer:
    Are there any tentative maps of the new trail? I really enjoy the Sarlacc/Edge loop and am very grateful for all the work that you guys are doing on the trail. Have only ridden them on my MTB, but maybe i'll get my moto out there someday. Thanks
  16. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    No maps yet, and it will not be finished and open until next year, but I rode some of the completed trail. It feels very much like Sarlacc, so the whole loop will be a great way to spend an afternoon in the Bookcliffs. I would imagine COPMOBA will have maps available when the trail opens, and the BLM is working on new maps for the whole area, to go along with their new trail numbering system.
  17. ZRCycles

ZRCycles n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there any new info on this new trail? I am heading out that was next week and would love to check it out. I looked on the COPMOBA site, but found nothing, so maybe it's not ready yet?