NEW Trailtech Voyager Pro - speculation and rumour

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by iggs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a completely reasonable question, and I don't feel like the OP is trolling at all. Trailtech should take a page from some of the other vendors on this site and be totally transparent with their development and upgrades and potential upgrades to this new project. They have proven in the past to be capable of making an awesome product, communicating here with their constituents will help them immensely. It's been a great start on that front, so they should keep it up.
    ohgood, TThelper and Adrian V like this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    so, hows the track following going folks?
  3. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what the map sets will be for Oz?
  4. TThelper

TThelper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adrian V likes this.
  5. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering this unit to replace my zumo 665, with screen brightness/clarity and topo maps being my attraction.

The only hesitation I have is the unknown: is there any way to store points of interest so if Im on a road trip can I search for nearby gas or addresses? I've watched a bunch of videa and it doesn't say yes or no.
  6. TThelper

TThelper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does not come loaded with POI but you can add them via GPX files. I do this all the time while planning my DS and ADV rides.
  7. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I'll check them out in the areas I ride :thumb
    I believe OSM is able to be updated by the user, will that be possible with your maps?
    Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    what's the ETA for route planning on the unit ?

when route planning happens, it's really going to take off!
    joebar and bash3r like this.
  9. TThelper

TThelper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By that do you mean turn by turn or pre-planning your rides? Turn by turn we are working on for a future firmeware release. As for pre-planning trips you can do that now. We have a free internet based program called RideLeader (.com) where you can build routes, save them to the SD card and import them into Voyager and Voyager Pro. I will warn you though we are in the middle of a RideLeader upgrade so you might see various error or usage messages but overall should be functional to draw GPX routes and save them. You can also use the "Search" tab in RideLeader to see if there are any routes you are looking for already uploaded by us or users. Hope this helps.

RideLeader
    lucertola, txingui and ohgood like this.
  10. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Ironically, I still use the old local version of RideLeader to manage my GPX files, even though the Google Maps API key has expired and it no longer works fully... it's still the most convenient method. I understand the reasons to move to an online version but until it can do everything the old version could it really isn't a proper replacement.

Having said that.. I would still use it before I'd use basecamp...
    Magus likes this.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

most important to me is on-the-device route planning. turn by turn navigation will help your sales, but I'm not interested in that part.
    joebar likes this.
  12. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of being able to creat a route in the device for my road rides too. But I find that even with my Monterra with OSM maps it can give me fits with "no route found".

So... I plan routes in my phone using Kurviger (great app). It creates great motorcycle routes from the app or a browser. I then save the route as a track and load it in the GPS. Everything works great from there.

With an Android phone, a slick little micro USB reader will let me save it to the chip for the Voyager Pro and drop it right in the side slot. Should be an easy solve...

I'm not a fan of the "rerouting" that occurs when you take a side journey using the built in GPS "routing" anyway.

My 2 cents...
    Magus and joebar like this.
  13. joebar

joebar R.I.P. Richard & Fabrizio

Oddometer:
    I like the description a lot!
    "We prefer curvy roads and slopes, while avoiding cities and highways."

It should be possible to enable/disable the auto-rerouting
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

yup I'm familiar with track plotting :-) , just want it on the device.

I am curious why you aren't using WiFi/Bluetooth to transfer your gpx from the phone to the Voyager pro ?
  15. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    Haven't really had a chance to dig in to the Voyager yet, but I expect I should be able to. At the same time, I'm used to using the chip reader on the Android, so if the electric transfer doesn't work, I'm still fine.
  16. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    I played a bit with the idea of transferring a GPX file to the Voyager Pro via Bluetooth or wifi and couldn't find an option. Has anyone found an option or workaround that works for that? For now I'll just keep relying on the chip transfer.

And for this that like to try to set up their device at the kitchen table, I would suggest having an extra cradle and the 110 power supply from TT. It lets you sit and play and configure as much as you want without battery issues.
  17. mauroarriagada

mauroarriagada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my review after a couple of weeks using it (some WABDR tracks included). Have a '16 1190 Adventure. Although I'm happy with the purchase, I was expecting to be SUPER happy for $600. I see that most of the issues are software-related, so my hopes are they will be fixed/improved in the next firmware updates.

Would love to see other users' feedback!

Pros
    • Big screen – great color and touch works great with gloves
    • Feels very solid – I’ve seen on youtube some tests with hammers on the screen and zero scratch
    • It comes with the tach sensor…you need to install it into one of the spark plugs coil…kind of a PITA as you need to remove (or lift like I did) the gas tank to pass the wire below. Then it works perfect until the fan kicks in (see cons below)
    • GPS speedo works great unless you are accelerating aggressively…there it has a lag, but I guess that happens with every GPS. They sell a speed sensor that goes into the wheel for more accuracy.
    • Easy to navigate between screens using the arrow buttons (up/down)
    • Menu/screens super easy to use
    • Support is very responsive. Same day response over email and with the right level of details.
    • All the screens are accessible through the up and down buttons….nothing hidden, so you can do it on the fly.
    • Route tracking works good. IMO same as my garmin 64st, but of course a bigger screen makes everything soooo much easier.
    • GPX loading, once on the SD card, is super easy
    • Zoom in/out with gloves on the touch screen works great. Very easy, and although he +/- icons look small, you don’t need to “search” for the right place on the screen to push
    Cons
    • There’s a software glitch they are repairing (firmware update should be released in the next weeks) that causes the tach sensor to go crazy when the radiator fan kicks in. (RPMs go up and down on the GPS….not the engine…). Minor thing as it stops when the fan stops, but still shouldn’t happen. Anyway, it seems is a software thing so hopefully they repair it.
    • It doesn’t have an USB connection. It uses a mini SD card and through that you load everything (firmware, GPX, etc.), which is painful as I don’t have an SD card reader on my laptop and I need to borrow my wife’s one every time I want to move something. Really basic stuff IMO.
    • Instructions are printed in a good quality "magazine" paper but with standard brackets….not very professional/industrial. I guess is the nature of a small company. Also the instructions illustration were wrong in the sensors…the power sensor wasn’t the one they were pointing on the instructions.
    • Map screen doesn't display more details like altitude. It would be great to have the option to have more data available in that screen.
    • Media screen doesn’t work with my Sena 20S and my iPhone….for some reason I can’t hear the music, although I did the setup as indicated in the instructions. Still can’t fix it and so I’ve disconnected the GPS from the phone Bluetooth until I figure out what to do. It should be dead simple but for some reason it doesn’t work.
    • Have no idea how the buddy tracking works as I don’t have a buddy yet, but you need to install an antenna, so more wiring stuff, which I will not do until I have a buddy.
    • It can't be configured to be turned on when the ignition or engine gets on. It only works with sleep mode that only lasts for 15mins. So, every time I jump into the bike I have to turn it on manually. Doesn't happen with Garmins.
    • For some reason the “footprints” of my rides didn’t display (I have it set up to draw a red line with my riding but I can’t see it). Will ask to support about it.
    • The release button on the holder became hard out of nowhere and I couldn’t remove the GPS unit from it. After a couple of emails with support I found out there was a really tiny allen wrench that you can use to make it hard/loose so there’s no risk to drop it. Cool feature but I still wonder how it became hard out of nowhere.
    Davethestick, StanBo and joebar like this.
  18. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    They make a simple little USB SD and micro SD card reader that should work in your laptop. They are like $5... They used to send them out with the Voyager (non Pro) units.
    The_Eccentric and mauroarriagada like this.
  19. mauroarriagada

mauroarriagada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, or I could buy one on amazon for about the same. That's not the problem....you would expect that for $600 that would come included/solved.
  20. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that there are some issues with waterproofness that come into play with additional ports, but I hear you...
    mauroarriagada likes this.