NEW Trailtech Voyager Pro - speculation and rumour

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by iggs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I was over there and they said September . I called them last week and now they're saying after the first of the year so now I am not sure if maybe there's problems .
    With all the modern fuel injected bikes it would be nice to see the lights work for Reserve and FI. It would also be nice to see basic road function for GPS while dual sporting .
    I have had a couple voyagers now and this is what I would like to see in a PRO
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What?

Developing a complicated piece of hardware and software like this is a PROBLEM (actually a challenge). Especially with a small private funded company (not a government contract). All the posts from TrailTech appear to be from a marketing (always optimistic) guy not engineering (always pessimistic).
  3. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Polaris makes the decisions now don't they? Either way new dirtbike needs one and I have been waiting since December . I started looking at Garmons yesterday. I'm thinking 64st or Montana 680t. I just thought the voyager would be better for Fast off-road riding .
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stand-alone GPS Units of choice for serious Off Highway (off road is illegal) are 76 & Montana.

64 is DOA with no 12 V power input.
  5. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes but what if you weren't riding gravel roads and your GPS wouldn't stay mounted to the handlebars would you still want to Montana ?
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a Dual Sport event promoter and the Montana is fast becoming the most popular model at events. Never experienced one coming out of a rugged mount ever!

On the other hand you must be very careful that the 78 is fully engaged in the cradle or it will climb out. Did it to me twice.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    read through the thread, i don't think you're going to see this available in 2017.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if i can keep a crappy old smartphone on my bars with an old one tube, surely a multi billion dollar company can make something to keep their products in place? (im kidding, i now they do, kind of)
  9. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the tiger I use a hardwired locking cradle and I like it a lot . On the Husky I ride it too hard off-road for something like that to work . It would not stay or it would get broken off completely and then wires would be dangling . I like hardwired and touchscreen for adventure riding but not for off road dual sporting . Off Road is where the voyager shined and I was really looking forward to the pro But it's not in the game. This is why I was considering the 64st and the Montana 680t on batteries . When I head off-road I could pull them and put them in my backpack and ride as hard as I want.
    We all have different ideas and abilities but the most important thing is that you have fun.
    Promoting the sport that we all love is a good thing but when you hear the double rev hold your line I'm coming bye :)
  10. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    i ride both my husky 300 and 350 offroad hard. the mount is solid, never had an issue even looping the bikes.
  11. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What GPS and mount are you using ?
  12. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Voyager is down and solid and does good for this kind of riding but I don't see a Garman on ram mounts staying put
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    that's some wide open fast stuff for sure, nice!

the ram mount arms will hold the oem mounts in place fine, through that kind of terrain. the speedometer location you have yours mounted in I'd the best location I've found for crash protection, though. if something makes it though the healthy shroud, there are usually bigger problems than the gps display
    McKay likes this.
  14. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montana with a wired hard mount and 2 inch ram mount to bars.
  15. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK if you guys think the Montana and mount will hold up to that kind of riding I guess I'll have to take another look at it . That's where I've always mounted my voyager and it has survive some hard crashes there .
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I promote Dual Sport rides ( http://www.dualsportwest.com/ ) and get hundreds of customers a year. Montana in rugged mount is fast becoming the GPS of choice and I have NEVER heard any one have a problem. NEVER take advice from 1 rider that says something is good. I personally prefer the 76 but also use a 78 along with 76 for scouting.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:

I've watched a beta (with zero hours) go tumbling with one of the Montana/Oregon/whatever expensive crap Garmin sells in the bars and it was fine. The main thing is to not mount everything so rigidly that it can't flex when you screw up and find a tree. I use a cut up inner tube and old smartphones. Others use chart plotters. Still others thumb their nose and just get lost. Whatever, if you're moving and having fun it's just a piece of crap on the bars. :-)
  18. GulfDRrider

GulfDRrider Average

Oddometer:
    So has anyone heard any more rumors on how product development is going or a release date ?
  19. rzr101

rzr101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got tired of waiting and bought Montana 680 T which is better for dual sporting anyways
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    In September I predicted no device for 2017. The optimistic poster hasn't replied since then with an update, so I'm guessing I'm close.