NEW Trailtech Voyager Pro - speculation and rumour

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by iggs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. avconnect

avconnect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  2. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do! Thx
  3. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve pooped out searching. Anybody have a good mounting setup for a 500 exc with a highway dirt bike hand guard?
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. avconnect

Oddometer:
    IMG_0621.JPG
  6. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks good. I don’t use flex bars and thus have a top plate that doesn’t allow access for the bar mount..
  7. avconnect

Oddometer:
    Got it. I went all out on the vibration elimination on the bars and the BBR submount. It was an added bonus to have that plate option although the VP is sticking out there quite a bit. I have thought about buying the guard but i want easy and quick removal options and don't want to have to deal with removing small screws and losing one. I have since switched to the Ox Hydro left hand brake.
  8. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been hoping HWDB would make a billet protector for the unit. Last time I inquired they didn’t have one.
  9. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    Yea, I have read pages of guys asking for turn by turn and routing?????? WHY ?!?!TF would you want that for off road exploring and dual sport???
    conrado likes this.
  10. wavehog3

wavehog3 KTM_Ken

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for everyone, but, personally, I ride dirt, snow, dual sport and long distance 2-up with my wife. It is nice to be able to use one device and share it across vehicles from a cost and familiarity perspective. I don't use routing on the device often, but there are times when it is useful on the street and big bike dual sport runs...
  11. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand. I like the freedom to roam, but when you ride in a weekend rally ride, they give out routes for GPS...its nice to follow it
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

because "dual sport" means taking roads to get to trails.

or

it means lots and lots of dirt roads. when you arrive at a closed road, it's REALLY NICE to be able to route around the closed road, without having to stop at every turn and guess which way to go next.

routing is a good idea, i hope trail tech implements it someday.
  13. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you just want to wander around, there's no need for a GPS. But for many of us we plan tracks or routes and cover a lot of miles to get from here to there. Personally, I like have some idea of where I am, what direction I'm headed, and how many miles to the next fuel or camp site. I'm just kinda kooky that way.
  14. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where you are and in which direction you are headed don’t require routing. And a quick look at the map scale gives you an idea of distance to the next town. Throw your pace in and you can estimate the time to destination ...
    That’s how people have been doing it since last century and is one of the things that I especially like about riding: having to look around, watch and think.
    I’ll use routing when travelling on business, thank you.
  15. Iowa_ADV

Oddometer:
    Interesting perspective. It's definitely on the amish side, but if it works for you......Keep it going.

You asked the question "WHY ?!?!TF would you want that for off road exploring and dual sport???" as if those of us who prefer to use GPS are strange and in the minority. Take a poll. I think you'll find you're definitely in the small minority of DS and ADV riders when it comes to navigation.
  16. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    When you do the software v1.3 update , do you need to remove the previous software v1.2 update from the Sd card ?
  17. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, that wasn’t me.
  18. Iowa_ADV

Oddometer:
    No. The v1.2 is installed in the unit. The SD card slot is empty. You just download v1.3 to a new SD card and follow the directions to install it. Takes a couple minutes.
  19. Iowa_ADV

Oddometer:
    Sorry......Wrong guy. But I see that you liked the quote and thus I assume (possibly incorrectly) that you share the opinion.

I understand there are some who don't want to be bothered with new tech and feel that it detracts from the experience. I spent a lot of years riding around on trails, stopping way too often to look at a trail map. Now I just load up my tracks and follow the line on the GPS. With tracks you obviously do not get voice prompts and that is fine by me. I am a little old school in that I do not like someone talking in my ear and I do not listen to music when I ride. I prefer the quiet and the solitude. On the other hand, I do use a com so my riding buddy and I can help each other and chat whenever we feel so inclined. But again, I do very much appreciate the GPS. It took me a couple years to get really good at the mapping, but I actually enjoy that too. I use a few different programs and find that by spending more time in ride prep I spend a lot more time riding and a lot less time staring at maps or backtracking.
    sati8d likes this.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

see above.... the earlier question was asked about dual sport and off road riding.

for regular old street riding, sure, you can get to just about any city by reading interstate signs.

try getting to a trail head, after going through the city, then rural neighborhoods, then rural country roads with poor making, and finally forest circus roads with no markings.... routing is really handy for that kind of thing. it's gets even more handy when an inoperable bridge is found also.

:-)