New Transalp? Better yet, new AfricaTwin®

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by OldRoadToad, Aug 10, 2004.

1. OldRoadToad

OldRoadToad ADVrider Chaplain

Oddometer:
  2. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iswoolley
    Where did you hear/see a prototype 750cc TransAlp? We need links, photos, etc. Of course a 750 TA is usually called an Africa Twin, but if there's a replacement on the way I want to know about it!

Iain

http://users.bart.nl/~stikfort/new_international_site/

Fact or fiction? We shall see...
    Vancouver, WA USA

--------------------------------

OK... this is been talked about by Transalp specific groups. I actually just posted this the other day here as well. So far this model is due for production. I'm not sure as to this making it to the USA. The word was that specific things had been looked into on this upgraded model just for the US market. So, the future is bright! :nod

The name Transalp, you mentioned, doesn't do anything for ya? Hmm... well, you might be alone on that one. The name Transalp is known all over the world as being a bomb'r do all moto. Mention Transalp to owners of some of the other breeds and you'll hear things like... great bike, good rep., solid moto, etc... Now, if you just don't care for the name... well, I guess you've got your opinion. I really like the name myself. :D

Most American riders who remember the TA remember it as a bike before it's time. The US wasn't ready for it. And that goes for the NX line as well. These models went on to HUGE success all over the rest of the world.

The name TRANSALP has a world wide respect and HONDA would be foolish to name it otherwise. I guess it wouldn't hurt to name it Africa Twin, but why do that on something that already has a strong following?

The Africa Twin has always been a different bike. If they badge something as an Africa Twin... It better be a total @T and not just a 750cc TA.

I love the @T and would probably have one of them if they ever brought them here (USA). That said, I haven't had my Transalp ever leave me wanting so I don't really need anything else anyway. I will keep beating the shit out of my TA until it tells me otherwise. :lol3

I agree on the bigger tank. It's funny, the bike looks to have a big tank, but then you find out it's mostly fairing.

I will buy one of the newer TA bikes if they actually do make it over. That is a fact. Reason... these bikes really stand the test of time. I'd love to be able to buy a NEW TA and keep it nice. Honda isn't a name that most people feel has soul. It's not a GS or some Brit bike. Well, let me say that Honda does make a bike with SOUL... and it's called the TRANSALP. Even after 15 years of service they just keep plug'n away for each owner that is fortunate enough to throw a leg over. --also, those few who sell them usually end up regretting it later. :cry

All that said, these bikes really fit ME. That is the bottom line really for any of us riders. I'm a bit bias on this loaded topic! :lol3

Cheers! :1drink
  3. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    CHEERS MATE! :thumb

I hear ya. I'd have to do some pretty good persuasion to get my wife to give in to another TA... I'd welcome the challenge! :wink:
  4. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    interesting picture on the link posted above. If that bike makes it to the usa, I'm afraid I will have to pursue owning one. I had an nx650 for a brief time, converted to a strickly offroad bike with full nobbies,fairing,lights etc removed, plastic offroad fr fender.....it was a fun bike but not really suited for what I was using it for (lotsa muddy, soft, mushy areas).
    I'm not sure I understand all the hoopla about "soul" people refer to regarding motorcycles. I guess for me its not as much "about the bike" as it is about where it takes me and did it get me there and back without leaving me on the side of the road. Riding on 2 wheels is fun, period. Dealer network,parts availability and support are nice to have as well. All this from a current BMW and Cagiva owner. Don't get me wrong, I love them both. Maybe I'm not "cultured" enough to appreciate the differences. :rofl
  5. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old Road Toad wrote...
    >If Honda sees fit to import this motorbike to the U.S., and equip it with non->linked triple disc brakes, big (read: 5.5 to 6.5 gallon) fuel tank, a centre >stand, and spoked wheels ....

AND change the Varadero style bodywork (which I think is really ugly- and aplogies to anyone who has a big V) or if the older style TA or AT bodywork could fit- that would do it for me also :nod

But I suspect that Honda not making it look like a Varadero is even less likely than bringing it to the US. But I'd love to be proved wrong
  6. GollyGwiz

GollyGwiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Want IT! Please please please bring to the US, Mr. Honda! :bow

[​IMG]
  7. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    TransAlp is a nice european name for a dual bike. Africa Twin sounds adventure but you need a twin engine to make it right. ....as long is not called Varadero!!!!
  8. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

SOUL to me is a deeper connection to a machine that trips that little trigger inside you... a feeling of being totally dialed in to the bike. I wasn't trying to imply a fashion/style thing. However, the TA does look KICKASS! :wink:

In the end... yes, it's just a machine I guess.
  9. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You do know that the Tigers up to 2004 have tubes, and the 2005 bikes will have alloy rims? The only tubeless spoked wheels AFAIK are the BMW GS and Aprilia Caponord.

I would love to have a new TA, AT, or Varadero. Or a Tiger or a R1200GS. But I would probably still keep and ride my TA which is just flat loaded with character.
  10. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Any credible information that the Transalp will be imported to the US? And if so, is it available with tubelss tires?
  11. jackafrica

jackafrica sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer:
    Having deliberated and farnarckled about deciding between a Cagiva Gran Canyon and a 650 Transalp, I took a new transalp in the end.
    Yes Walter, I'm with you on the bodywork style compared to the old TA. That said however, in the flesh the 650 ta doesn't really look as bad as the 'Dero ( IMHO ). maybe this is me emotionally trying to justify my new purchase with logic, but the little critter seems to be getting under my skin. I actually don't mind the shape, which I've found in the rain and cold to be actually practical. In as much as some of the rain/cold appears to be deflected by the wierd shaped side fairings.
    Honda here in Oz has dropped the price of the TA650 by heaps, ( they never do that ), been told the same thing is happening in the UK. this might well add some fuel to the rumours of a new bike on the way. The European market is the big one for these bikes. Bugger all have been sold in Oz that's for sure.
    The Suzuki V-Strom has definitely made inroads in their intended market segment, maybe this has prompted Honda to come up with something a bit more modern in the power stakes. Can't deal with the alloy wheel caper though. I'm only just becoming used to the idea of a fairing and water cooling ( it's the luddite in me :D ), not warmed to it, have to accept it is part of my new ride. Bastard of a thing to remove for servicing ( that's another issue altogether ! )
    Unlikely that Mr. Honda Corp. is listening to those who plead for tubeless spoked wheels, engines you can see, with fins, or the big fuel tank, unfortunately. We live in hope.
    At least I'm able to enjoy what the TA650 has to offer, with the promise of perhaps a better mousetrap in the near future, but I won't hold my breath on the chances of it coming to Australia. Ditto for you guys I expect.
    Ahhh, dreams and speculation, another joy of motorbicycling.
  12. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    what happened Jack? say it isn' so....
    just when we thought we were adding you to the ranks of the " Gran Canyon" owners group.... :cry
  13. jackafrica

jackafrica sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer:
    I WAS ready to join the ranks of the Gran Canyon crew. Until I rang the distribtor here in Oz.
    How much for a fairing half - $1912.00 Aussie, same for the other side. In stock - NO. Checked a few other parts, same deal, horrendously expensive and not available in stock in Australia.
    Then rang Honda..........fairing half $234 Au including decals, in stock, other parts in stock and somewhat cheaper.
    Man, that killed it for me, totally. realities of riding on rough dirt roads say there will be a time to buy crash parts. I would pefer to be able to afford to repair than have to sell my wife or son. :wink:
    So the Honda got the thumbs up. Especially when the spare parts manager ( who also owns a TA650 ) presented me with a pair of fairing halves when I picked the bike up - for nix :thumb
    The Gran Canyon was tempting, but without sufficient backup.........
  14. oldgoatrides

oldgoatrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    African Twin 1000 sounds alot better! Honda fit-finish would blow the rest away!!!!! :nod
  15. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    honda has the ability to do anything they want, however, I spoke with some US honda exec's last year, They thought I was on crack wanting a new adventure tour bike, I made sure they knew I bought several other brands. I hope they bring in a new model but i really doubt it'll happen as American honda has their head up their ass. According to them the only forms of motorcycling are MX, Sportbikes and cruisers, fuck everyone else.

Sure wish Mr Honda was still around to bitch slap these arrogant bastards. BTW American honda, just bought a650 Vstrom,

If they want to blow people away, use the Vstrom as a base and make it 40LBS lighter, they could do it, but wont.
  16. U235Power

U235Power Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet looking bike... I too would like to see it come to the US, but there again, I won't be holding my breath. I think if they made it a 850cc that was significantly lighter then the 1000cc competition and made the bike look that it does in the picture that was posted, they could easily move those bikes off the showroom floor in a hurry. I'd be in line to get one.

If by chance they do decide to bring the 750 to the US, I'll definitely consider it.
  17. Redeye

Redeye Redeye

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with a bike named after a beach in Cuba?

It's a shame you can't get Vara's in the US, and I don't understand why Honda don't import them. They are mega-touring bikes, 130mph, comfortable, cruise all day at 100mph behind the great weather protection and get around 200 miles per tank. Typical Honda build quality and reliability.

In June I did a trip from the north of England down to the south coast, ferry to Le Havre in France and then over the Pyrenees and down the coast of Spain.
    Nothing can touch it for motorways and twisty mountain roads, but don't take it off road. Fitted with a ScottOiler, I didn't have to adjust the chain once and it used not a drop of oil.

Attached Files:

18. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Everyone who owns a US spec. TA agrees... USA HONDA sucks! I don't know if it's them or the big wigs over at HONDA JAPAN that makes the finally choices, but whomever it is... they for sure suck! :nod

The Vara's a sweet machine, but like with the 650 TA bikes... nothing more than a photo to us guys here in the USA. :cry
  19. iswoolley

iswoolley Restless traveller

Oddometer:
    Toad Old Man, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and a next generation Africa Twin to take on the KTM950 would be a welcome sight on either side of the Atlantic. I might even be tempted to trade in my current Africa Twin for one. :lol3

Non linked brakes - totally agree
    Big fuel tank - hmmm, yes
    Centre stand - not totally essential, but we'll run with it
    Spoked wheels - of course
    Tubeless tyres - er, hang on a second! :eek1

If a bike is going to have any serious off-road credibility then it's got to have tubes. Tubes equal being able to run silly low pressures in soft sand. Tubes equal easy (okay, easier) tyre changes. Look at Dakar and Baja racers, do they run tubeless wheels? (Mooses are tubes for the sake of my argument!) I'll stick with my tubes for now.

But all of this is irrelevant until Honda US decides to import this type of bike. And on our side of the Pond we can't get our hands on a XR650L for love nor money. What sort of problems would a worldwide homologation standard solve?!? :freaky

Iain
  20. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could have bought this bike a couple of years ago, but I was worried about how I would get parts and who would be able to work on it..