"New" Transalp in the area

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AKTobias, Apr 29, 2011.

1. AKTobias

AKTobias Frugal Badass

Oddometer:
    Earlier in the Spring I bought an 89 Transalp from an inmate. He had put on a new seat, exhaust, speedo, tires, bash plate, givi guards ... you name it ... lots of goodies. The best part is that it had an Africa Twin tank, shrouds and fairing (the one with the twin lites!).

My 12 year old loved it from the get-go. I rode it from the PO's down Knik Goosebay Road and then trailered it the rest of the way home to Anchorage.

[​IMG]

I spent a while trying to determine if I should just leave it with a bad white paint job for roughing it ... or go ahead and paint it up. My fear is your fear. All that time spent on the bike, and then laying it down in some parking lot. Yikes. Tough decision. But for sure, I wanted a new fender.
    Black or white?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All it needed was paint and some tweaking. So after getting advice on painting, and checking out the costs, I decided to paint it. So after making a deal with Beezer, he came over and schooled me on painting. I built a paint booth in the garage and we got to business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the paint was drying I carved a dash out of metal with my bare hands, and put on some ROX risers, heated grips, and SAE power outlets.

[​IMG]

And finally, I got it put all back together ... everything except luggage racks and decals.

[​IMG]

So in the search for decals, I wanted something to identify the Africa Twin part of this beast. The HOnda shop didn't have anything in that category, but my 5 year old found something he liked.

[​IMG]

So I ended up making my own decals. We'll see how they print up. They are in the print process now.
    [​IMG]

So today I played hooky and went on shakedown ride. Went down to Cooper Landing to a friend's restaraunt. He's an advrider, and he officially opens up for summer this weekend ... so swing by when you are out on the road. Top Secret news: best ping pong area in the peninsula.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it happened!
    My buddy and I rode down to Moose Pass. We had swapped bikes. He was testing out my new ride. I was riding his beemer. I pulled into the store parking, and put the sidestand down into the soft dirt. ANd then I saw him pass by me and drive my new bike right into the dirt ... sideways. My New Paint!!! But the Givi Engine guards did their business.

The best pic of this ride report is still in my mind. It is a red face of a friend who slams your new bike right into the dirt.

But all in all ... its a toy.
    A great toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AKTobias,
    Nice work on that bike! Looks great. Even after its first little drop. Post some more pics after you get those stickers/decals on.
    Gary
  3. cynna

cynna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow that looks great. wouldnt have been to good to be your mate crashing your bike tho
  4. AKTobias

AKTobias Frugal Badass

Oddometer:
    Well, the truth about the bike being dropped is that it wasn't his fault. RIght in the middle of his tight turn in the dirt, the bike's rpms fell to nothing and then it died... and the the centrifugal force was no longer with him. The dark side of gravity brought him and the bike down. I was waiting for him to see the previous post and defend himself with an intricate explanation of the bike dying, but I couldn't hold it any longer.

Put that idle issue on the list of things to tweak. The PO knows a lot about this bike, and I can pick his brain on it. I may have not done something right when I put the tank back on and connected both fuel lines to the custom fuel pump.

That story reminds me of a another buddy in Louisiana who had an old, loud, inappropriate chopper in college. He was parked next to a girls softball game, and came out of his dorm to leave. Surprised by the crowd at his disposal, he revelled in the fact that his royal exit was going to be witnessed by the whole crowd.

He strutted out, with his wallet chain clinking ... no helmet ... threw his leg over the ugly monstrosity ... put on his shades (slowly) ... kicked it to life ... it roared ... and all the women within a 100 mile radius swooned and near fainted at his badassery! He had all eyes on him. He revved it a time or two and then let the clutch go and sped into the long curve that contoured the backfield. But just in the middle of the curve, as he had closed the gap between him and most of the crowed, right in the middle of a hard lean, the poor old bike just died. The bike dropped, hard, on the concrete.

"It hadn't warmed up, yet" he explained.

Sure. He could hardly ever pick that bike up by himself, but at that moment, with all eyes on him, he summoned the strength from his deep well of embarrassment, straightened it up, kicked it off again, and then puttered into the sunset.

Of course, nothing like this has never happened to me.
  5. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    or any of us here.. oh no, never. no camera no pictures, never happened. witnesses were paid off.

Nice bike. have always liked that and was tempted when it came up for sale.
    thanks for posting the pics.
  6. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I like what you've done to the bike! Looks very sharp. I just picked up a 90 TA for one of my sons. With any luck I should be out on the road (with my F800GS) with him (on the TransAlp) right after school gets out in a couple of weeks. We'll do the wave if we see you:evil
  7. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Good work AKT':1drink
  8. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Hope to see it in Dawson.
  9. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    Beautiful man! except now I have another bike on my "must own one someday" list...
  10. ak_flyfisher_ak

ak_flyfisher_ak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never thought of Tob' as "beautiful"... Rarely is he even bearable, much less beautiful. Wish I could have gone with ya on that one Toby. Just got off the studs yesterday. Man that TA sure looks nice -Tom does good work! :rofl