New TRANSAPARENT windscreen and RR kit available for 950/990

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by RADE/GARAGE, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, we posted on FB and sent email but the response was so great we thought we would post here as well. We got new Rally kit with LED light available for the KTM 950/990 and based on your feedback we made it with transparent screen:

[​IMG]

You can order the kit here:
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-990-rr-kit/

If you already have our kit with the carbon fiber screen, you can get just the screen here:
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/rr-transparent-windscreen/

We don't want ANY of our customers to feel left out - we thrive for providing upgrades where possible!!!

And if you upgraded to 1090 already, we are offering free shipping for a limited time for the 1090 kit:
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-1090-rr-kit/
    [​IMG]
    KDXRC51, KPuusepp, pwh and 5 others like this.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    Could just the screen be used with the factory light on a 9x0? Hard to tell if it has the clearance.
  3. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mutt550, 2 SPOT and Whodatschrome like this.
  4. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately you can not - it will not fit as the lights stick out. You need either our LED lights or have 3rd party custom brackets...
  5. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    buaan and Whodatschrome like this.
  6. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yummy.
  7. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just when I was thinking I was finished farlking out my 900…
  8. hennessyktm

hennessyktm Still here...

Oddometer:
    Rade, looks awesome!! Question...do you use the same lights as you use on the current 690 fairing set up? I have the new, EU-spec lights with my RG 690 fairing set up (Clear screen) and they create A LOT of glare/reflection from the screen to the rider; especially during night riding. This was not the same with the old version/non-EU lights. The old version were okay. I did a lot of night riding and they never bothered me.

I ask because me and a buddy are interested in this kit for the 9X0 and I am curious as to the amount of reflection of the EU approved LED lights that is projected back at the riders face. I am wondering if it is the same as the 690.

I am pretty sure you guys were working on a solution for this with the Husky 701.

Thanks,

Bill
  9. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. hennessyktm

hennessyktm Still here...

Oddometer:
    Rade,
    That's great news. Thanks for posting. Seems I need to order the shader.
  11. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish you guys had brought this out a couple years ago :(
    braaap! likes this.
  12. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest. Have you weighed how much the original light setup with original glass is and how much the LED kit is?

Also for aux storage, you have linked 701 how to video on the website ;)
  13. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    you spent all that money on the aurora kit just for a clear screen? i'll give ya $500 for it so you can switch to the RADE:D
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    No but if there had been an alternative at the time, I may have gone a different way just for financial reasons.
    The Aurora is awesome, turbulence and buffeting free, tower and being all clear is the biggest bonus.
    Was well worth it in the end and glad I went that way. :-)
  15. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rade tell Standa he messed up my order, I didn't get my lights or mounting hardware with my shipment yesterday. I sent in a claim on your site yesterday and have not heard anything back yet.
    I know you will make it right, just need a conformation that your looking into it.
    The kit looks great so far...
  16. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am sorry I was traveling all day long to our supplier and back so no time for emails. I have seed your claim and forwarded do Standa.

Sorry for incovenience
    Rade
  17. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...
  18. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you post some pics and give a review when you’re done? I’m thinking about getting one for my 950. Thanks.
    el profe likes this.
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recieved my kit in just 5 days after ordering... WoW! Thx @RADE/GARAGE

Will post up install and pics later today :)
    KDXRC51 likes this.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, started at 8am this morning and had the kit fully installed by 10am, taking it slow and careful :) But I didn't bother taking pics as I went so in the interests of the 9X0 brotherhood, I dissasembled the whole lot and took pics along the way :)

To start I watched the installation vid on the R/G website
    However it's not actually the clear screen kit being installed... It's the carbon screen with small clear acrylic cover over the LEDS and so whilst it provides the right direction for main bracket and LED unit install, the clear screen install departs a bit at the end in that you do not reuse the OEM moulded black mask.

The kit bits.
    Clear windscreen top left, new vac formed mask top right, LED carriage mounting brkts and base plate bkt / screws bottom left, stickers lower middle and LED bazookas lower right.

Note that the longer bodied LED unit is the low beam as highlighted by Rade in the video.
    RG Mask and LED lights.jpg
    Rade simply loosens both side 1/4 panels to get access for the install... Me, I prefer to undress the big austrian a bit more, so I remove the side covers and also this part! Bloody mesh edges are razor sharp!
    lower grille.jpg

First part to mount is the new lower base plate bracket, 2 screws each side... You need to remove the horn and its bracket as it remounts on the inside of the new RG bracket... Well I tried but couldn't get the holes to line up as the horn OD interferred with the cutout in Rade's bracket.
    So out with the angle grinder... The piece removed drawn in :) Have a look at the first image above and you can see the difference - Square tab end now tapered.
    lower bracket mod.jpg

Shit pic but you can see that the horn needs this clearance...
    horn bkt.jpg

Lower base plate bkt mounted up along with the horn which I rotated so that the wire terminals didn't foul on the RG bracket... Also opened out the 2 holes in the horn bracket to D6.50mm for a bit of wiggle room to start the bolts cleanly into the rivnuts in the aluminium bracket - You don't want to cross thread these :|
    horn bkt rotated.jpg

The next step I departed from RG instructions and assembled the LEDS to the side brackets first and then attached the top mount bracket...
    (Side Brackets... Yeah, I marked them with an arrow and a F - oldtimers disease).

8No M5 Black pan head screws with white plastic washer under the screw heads protects the powder coat finish and I guess provides some crush grip security when tightened to hold the LEDs in their 'aimed' position.
    9.jpg
    Remember, the low beam (longer anodised body) is mounted in the lower series of holes slots :) M5 panhead screws
    8.jpg

The complete assembly... Slick bit of kit!

LED assy with top bkt mounted.jpg
    Plug the connector from the LEDs into the centre OEM socket... and place the bottom of the assy onto the base mount plate and feed the top bracket in until it meets the aluminium cockpit subframe...
    In hindsight it is easier to install the top mount bracket first and then fix off the LED side bracket bolts... My method is doable but a bit more fiddly, YMMV.
    Check LED alignment and tighten up all bolts and nuts... The lower mount plate holes and the side LED plates have quite a bit of clearance on a M6 bolt... I used bigger washers top and bottom plus nylok nuts.

10.jpg
    Now the new black Mask... your OEM mask goes into storage BTW :)
    This is a complex deep draw vac moulding and the rear edges of the part that fits around the LEDs is very thin and fragile! Probably starts out at 2.50mm ABS... and thins out to 0.25mm at the low beam surround edge - Will damage very easy!

mask inside.jpg

Install the 6No rubber rawlnuts into the mask... a bit of spit or armorall helps them slide home.
    The Mask fits up just like the OEM, lower holes fit over captive nut boss and upper holes align with the chimney nuts set on the dash / instrument moulding.
    Thumbs up to RG for getting the dimensions and fit perfect!!!
    Tidy...
    6.jpg
    I better clean my bike now!..
    5.jpg

The rest is straight forward, replace removed parts as we've all done many times...

And now for the trickiest bit of the whole install process, the R/G 'horseshoe' sticker application... I failed to photograph it when I originally applied it, but can explain one man's method :)

You only get one sticker so it's got to be done right first time!..

I mounted up the clear screen over the mask so I could establish a vertical centreline and lay of the sticker over the screen, takes patience.
    Take your time!

The bottom 2 edges align with the bottom edge of the clear screen or thereabouts, mine are maybe 2mm up.
    16.jpg

With the sticker held in place with a few well positioned pieces of masking tape, I slit through the backing at the very top of the sticker and peeled back maybe 30mm both sides and folded back on itself (not shown here)...
    sticker 2.jpg

Working one side at a time, pull the backing paper slowly out and away whilst pressing the RG sticker down onto the screen surface (clean soft rag helps here).
    Work small sections at a time (up to the masking tape) and you'll ensure you get no air traps.

A little tedious but the end result is cool! Then again, you may choose not to apply the sticker :)

End result...

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Oh yeah... what about the lights!

13.jpg

WOW!