New wheels (yipee!) and tire questions

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by FastEddieB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with Woody's.

I decided to splurge on a new set of wheels for my '05 950 Adventure.

I went with:

Sun rim (gold) 2.75x19 front
    Sun rim (gold) 4.25x17 rear
    Tubeless option

Now I need to think about tires.

My goal is to use these wheels for blitzing around the N GA mountain roads this spring and summer with only rare fire trail use. Would also use them for longer trips. Will keep my stock wheels mounted with TKC 80's if I decide to do a predominantly off-road adventure.

Mototodd swears by the Metzeler Tourance for this sort of thing.

Two questions (probably already aksed and answered many times - sorry)

1) What are the recommended tire sizes for these rims?

2) Anyone else feel strongly about other brands for my "mission profile"?

Thanks in advance.

Fast Eddie
  2. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may wish to use the stoutest rims for your off-road excursions. :eek1 May save you bent rims down the road.
  3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep, true and if you are having Woody buld a set you should get the bullet proof spokes and nipples and the bullett proof lacing pattern. I know that mine are great and was well worth the money

[​IMG]

Woody's is the Best. Don't deal with Buchanons.
  4. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    FE...

Did the same thing not too long ago with very happy results!! Woody's does an excellent job and you'll be most happy!!

I went with the Tourances as that was what I was used to from my GSing days. I've never had any issues with them.

As to sizes (since the bike is not here at the moment ) Just find your local 1150/1200GS fanatic and they'll tell you the correct sizes for the 19/17 setup.

BTW, when I went from stock to the 19/17 setup I also changed my front sprocket back to a 17 for some unknown reason (gut feel). I'm currently running 21/18 with TKC's on the bike from a recent trip to MX and will be switching back in the next couple of days. I'll probably keep the 16 front sprocket on this time just to see if I can keep the front wheel down...

Best of luck!!!

Rick
    Franklin, TN
  5. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine Woody's would mind me sharing this (all the prices are public on their website anyway.)

The bottom line was kind of a shocker, but I just sold some GS wheels and earned some extra money flight instructing, so what the hell.

A lot cheaper than a new 950SM, after all!

I'll stay with the 16T for now. The "gearing" change going down 1" on the rear should be minimal - but I do have the 17T standing by if the ride seems too "busy".

Attached Files:

6. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    OK, this is what goes on an 1100GS:

Front: 110/80R19
    Rear: 150/70R17

One chart said that was for rims that were 2.5"F and 4"R.

Do those sizes make sense for my 1/4" wider rims?

FWIW, it looks like the 150/70R17 is the widest Tourance rear in 17".
  7. crwmac

crwmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eddie,

The safest answer to your question is to go the each tire manufacturer's website. They usually list the rim size compatability. Also check that the tire you pick has the speed rating for your planned useage. The OEM tires have a speed rating which is compatible with the bike's top-end speed. This is probably why the OEMs are tubless tires (to gain the higher speed rating)and with tubes (due to spoked wheels).

Hope this helps.

Mac
  8. Texmoto1

Texmoto1 Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer:
    Did I hear somewhere that somebody said the tubeless rims were not the best for offroad applications? Hopefully not, since I want a tubeless pair on my 950. Tubes are a pain in the ass! I also heard that the reason no one uses the tubeless type rims that BMW uses (with the spokes going to the outside of the rim), is that BMW holds a patent on them. If thats is the case, I wonder when their patent expires? I have seen them on BMW's since 1994 or so. I have never heard of a patent that lasts 12 YEARS!
  9. Dirkoff

Dirkoff Canyon Rat

Oddometer:
    Darn, that is one unattractive invoice if you ask me! I could also be wrong!

You know other people can build wheels for you if you get the parts. I am sure you can save couple hundred if you do some dirty work.
  10. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody's prices are great compared to others. That is especially true when you calculate the quality of the work you are getting. You can go elseware and pay less but, you won't like the quality as compared to Woody's. As for tube vs. tubeless. Tubes aren't hard to work on if you just do it a few times and learn the technique. If tubeless was such a great idea in the dirt they would have perfected a wheel for them years ago. JMHO :evil :rofl :puke1
  11. Texmoto1

Oddometer:

Oh believe me, I have worked on my fair share of tube type wheels! What's nice about a tubeless rim is you dont worry much about pinch flats. Just because they have not used them in the past, doesnt mean that someday we wont all be using them on MX bikes etc. Our grand kids will look at us and be amazed that our bikes ran on petroleum, had carburetors, had tubes, and needed oil changes. Technology, good or bad will march forward and I for one wouldnt mind leaving tubes behind.
  12. mlb2332

mlb2332 Fish out of water

Oddometer:
    All this talk about tubeless has created a question.

Virtually all my experience has been off road, mostly motocross and enduros, and under soft soil conditions, sand, mud etc. we used to run tire pressures in the 8-12 pound range with rim locks or use rims that had pins that stuck into the tire bead when inflated (The pins only worked OK and I would still occasionally tear a bead at lower pressures). This was all to keep the tire from spinning on the rim at lower pressures. In looking at the picture of the new Woody's wheels there does not appear to be any type of mechanism to keep the tire from spinning on the rim.

Question, do any of you guys ever run pressures low enough that spinning the tire on the rim is an issue? With close to 100HP I think it may not even require very low pressure to spin the tire.

Also how low of a pressure can you run with tubeless? I would assume that a "tubed" tire could run lower numbers if needed.
  13. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, it's really tough to find the answers. :bluduh
    You have actually type the search term into the search box. Oh my god my fingers, my fingers.

Tubeless warning:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110284&highlight=woody%27s
    Yeah, from Woody himself.

And here he talks about what size rims for what you gonna do:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77565&highlight=woody%27s

and here, again:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72565&highlight=woody%27s

Oy, that was hell! Okay, so maybe it never occurred to ya that this has been discussed before, or that Woody posts here, or anything. I'll let you in on a advrider secret: It's all been discussed before.
  14. Stephen

Oddometer:
    On my old airhead, I rated Tourance tops in all ways, realizing that no tire like that is gonna work very well when things get really soft. Strong carcass, durable tread, excellent grip dry and wet. There might be some newer tire that's better. Dunno. :dunno But it would have to be darn good.

Size, as mentioned, is just what oilheads would take.

Reckon those spools with Tourances on'em would make for genuine fun.
  15. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I have nothing against Woody (he has a nice product, and had provided a good service to many Adv. riders). However, your statment is a bit missleading.
    [​IMG]
    Bullet Proof?
    I think Miserygoat had the superlace. He'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

I ordered just the front rim from Woody (1.85) and laced it my self w/ the stock spokes. Turns out Woody buys the Sun rim from Buchanon, and then shiped it to me. I've nailed some rocks that would have bent the stock rim. The 1.85 Sun has held up well.

Sorry for the hyjack.
  16. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    You know, for all your bitching about someone asking a previously discussed question you seem to miss the obvious conclusion of what you've just posted.

If you shouldn't post something that has already been discussed, and "It's all been discussed before." than the only logical outcome is that this forum should be completely locked down and made read only! :lol3

Take it easy on people looking for information. There's really no need to be so hostile & rude to people for asking questions. ...though it was nice of you to link up the old threads! :thumb

...ok, I just really don't feel like getting any more work done today! :rofl
  17. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Dude, I was being nice. :lol3

It's not hostile or rude to point folks toward previous efforts, whether I post a link or not. How the hell else are they gonna get the info? Somebody gonna paraphrase it or summarize it for'em? Somebody gonna copy and paste it? Somebody gonna make up some new answer? Somebody gonna get it right, or screw it up? In this case, why have all this second-hand when Woody told us? :deal

Aw, shucks!
    See, I toldja I was bein nice. :norton
    Seriously. Hostile and rude is a whole 'nother level. :nod

And let's get sumpin straight right now: I do not bitch. I am not bitchy.
    I'm grumpy. :bluduh
  18. Stephen

Oddometer:
    First time the BMW wheels appeared was the R100GS of model-year 1988. Don't know when the patent was granted.

Term of a US patent is 20 years.
    Don't know if Euro and US patent law is normalized, or even where original patent was issued.

BMW licensed design to Aprilia for the CapoNord.

Good wheels, at least on my old airhead, though not indestructable or immune from out-of-trueness. Edges do get banged up, and the odd angles of the spokes may make fitting calipers in there a bit more of a challenge.
  19. Texmoto1

Oddometer:
    I did not know that. Thanks. So its a possibility that in a couple of years there might be the chance that other manufacturers will begin making those things. After reading all about sealing up spoked rims to make it tubeless, I have decided NOT to do it. The idea of loosing air at speed, gives me a bad rash. As for the BMW rims; I have owned 2 GS's and was very impressed with the strength of them. I wasnt impressed with the tolerances that Behr kept though. One set of my wheels had a noticable variation that was really irritating. If the BMW Spoke option was available for the 950 though, I would do it in a heart beat.
  20. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    I really think he was refering to the lacing job being bullet proof. Looking at this picture it looks like the rim failed, not the lace. If the lace job would have failed, he probably wouldn't have been able to ride it any further. Was Miserygoat able to ride out, after a tube change of course, or was his day done?

I had the 19/17 set up done, Woody's hooked me up with the SS oversized Spokes and a Superlace with a set of Excels...his workmanship is AMAZING. I elected to keep using tubes, but may have him do the tubeless set-up sometime this summer. I bought all of my parts separate and gave them to Woody to lace. At the time all I could get was an Excel back and a Sun front...Woody even swapped the Sun I had for an Excel so I would have a matching set.

I have the Dunlop D607's and they seem to work very well.....I did a ride report back when I first did it. I don't have the sizes in fron of me but I think it was the 110/?-19 front and the 150/?-17....don't know if that helps.

I would not hesitate to refer anyone to Woody...you get what you pay for!