New wheels (yipee!) and tire questions

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by FastEddieB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stephen,

1) I know how to search - I often do. I often advise others to do so or point them in the right direction

2) Searching for "tire" and "rim" and "size" seemed like it would return a LOT of posts and be tedious to wade through.

3) It's not like the allegedly wasted bandwidth is costing you anything - lighten up.

4) I suggest you ignore threads that seem repititious. It's not hard - just don't click on them.

5) Virtually everything has been discussed before.

Thank you for the links, though I had already researched tubeless options (that was not part of my post).

And thanks to all those who posted relevant info.

PS - I just ordered Metzeler Tourances from SWMototires (110/80VR19 front, 150/70VR17 rear) - $235.90 for the pair with free shipping.
  2. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Yes he was able to ride it out, and the tube was fine also. Like I said before, Woody does a good job, I have benifited and learned from his advice here on ADVrider. OK, yes the rim failed, but thats the problem most of us have had. I dont think anyone has had a problem with the stock lacing ether.

Glad to see you got it all worked out FastEddieB, Sorry I was no help-at-all.
  3. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    Well, those Sun rims are known to be pretty tough, I'm guessing that had to be on hell of a hit, yes? Realistically, there's no such thing as a "bulletproof" rim. You can break anything if you try hard enough. :lol3

I just got my rims from Woody last week :tbwith the Rally Raids (D908) mounted. 1.85x21 front & 3.5x18 rear, I'll be swapping them out Thursday after work, and heading to Rowner Flats Saturday for a trial dirt run. :super
  4. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FEB, I wasn't swingin' at you. Relax. You posted experience, and a question that evolved from it. I appreciate it. Thank you.

See, that was the part that got me goin', Texmoto and mlb7243whatever, buttin' in with tubeless this and dirtwheel that -- OT and failing to add value, even when answered. Not that they seemed too upset with me; after all, maybe I slapped'em, but I did provide some links. Like I said, I'm bein' nice and all. :feelgood And part of the point is not that noobs waste time, but that we don't always serve'em as well as search does. :huh Really. I'm just grumpy.

You're welcome. I hope the Tourances serve you as well as they served me. I frankly covet your setup; 19/17 oughta bloody well rock on the 950. Back when KTM was designing it, I wanted one, and I just assumed it would come with tires the same size as the oilhead GS. The GS's I rode really kicked ass on pavement, and I credit the tires considerably -- same with the V-stroms. :thumb

We expect a full report on how it all works. :deal
  5. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's grumpy cause he ain't got no garage. :cry

:rofl
  6. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Stephen,

No problem.

I'll just write it off to male menopause or "that time of the month".:oscar

I WILL report on the new wheels when I get them! They tell me just 3 or 4 days to build them, so it shouldn't be long.

A few things that I don't think have been discussed:

1) What about synthetic oil?

2) How does a KTM950 compare with an R1200GS?

3) What is the terminal velocity of an unladen mud swallow?

and, of course...

4) What IS your favorite color?

[​IMG]

Inquiring minds want to know!
  7. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:

He's got no garage and to put it plain, he's just an asshole. But he's our asshole, and everyone's gotta have at least one! I wouldn't trade him.
    That said.....let him have it!:ksteve
  8. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Actually I'll side with Stephen if only because it's the number of times that a new thread has been started on a very rehashed topic - it's practically endless. It's nice if you do the search and then post a new question on the old thread - I'm all about reviving old threads.

That said I can tell you to not bother with tubeless off road for a variety of reasons. I had a set of wheels from Woody's that he built for me that I wanted to run tubeless for all the above mentioned reasons - for those reasons we went with 2.15/21 and 4.25/18 (or maybe 4) because those sizes have the "safety bead" that has been much discussed.

That's the problem though. Those rims are wider than what would be used for off road and you spread the tire out a bit more reducing the cushion effect that squeezing the bead together gives you. This makes the rim more susceptible to being bent which I've done to both front and rear rims. Woody's has offered to take care of me on this and we'll most likely go to a narrower rim both front and rear. The other reason is that the method of sealing the rims can't take the impacts of really hard off road riding. While you may not bend the rim the the rim may flex enough to disrupt the sealing which happened to both my rims. The safety bead doesn't work either as the tire just about came completely off the rim before I got it hauled down and it was a very scary moment where I just missed going off a little 20' drop. It's not worth it.

Woody was still getting this all figured out when he built my wheels and I don't think either of us anticipated how hard I would ride my bike. If you're going off road you should run tubes on 1.85/21 and 3.5/18 and just accept that's the best solution. It's what's on Scott Harden's bike.

If you're going to run 19/17 combo then the sizes mentioned 2.5-2.75 and 4-4.5 are all decent widths for most of the 110/90-19's and 150/70-17's. I'm having a set of rims built in that size but for a change I used a different vendor who has proven to be most unreliable and I still haven't gotten the wheels. When I do I'll convert them to tubeless using a new method and write up an article for those wanting to do the same. I'll also revive a post to report on them - maybe even this one!

Gregor
  9. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

No shit. :bluduh

But today I sold two old motos and several boxes of motojunk, so now I'm lighter and wealthier.

But still no garage. Dammit. So I'm staying grumpy. :bluduh
    Don't try to cheer me up, either. I'm gonna go eat worms.
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Eddie,

A little tyre suggestion for your 19/17 combo. They stick like glue, last longer than average radials and they're capable of getting you through the occasional fireroad too: Pirelli Scorpion Sync. It's the OEM tyre on the KTM SM950. Last week I installed the second set on my Duke and I couldn't be happier.
  12. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me tubes anyday. When I "dented" my rear rim last week, the HD tube was the only thing that held the air in. And I don't know why it didn't expand out the large hole and pop. I didn't know I bent the rim untill I got home.
  13. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I've already ordered the Tourances, but I'll keep them in mind.
  14. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a set of 17/19's from Woody in tubless with GS sized Tourances on and love them. Bikes feels better on the street and brakes much better. I have done some dirt roads and have noticed no difference in handling. The first day I got the wheels and put them on i got an 8d nail in the rear and road 40 miles on it without knowing, next day as I am showing the wheels to a friend I noticed the nail, only lost a few lbs of air. I had this happen on the stock rear and was flat in mins, also try to find replacement tires for the 950 at your local dealer or m/c shop. I had to order mine, what happens if your on a trip and you ruin a tire? I had to change back to the 17t c/s cause it was to buzzy and it was hard to accelerate on the rear wheel, but it was fun! If I was going to ride this like my 450EXC then I would go with the 21/18 wheels, small rims and heavy tubes.
  15. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Good news: Woody's said the wheels are done and shipped yesterday!

Bad news: I ordered them 4/4, so we're talking over 5 weeks.

The story was: delay in getting the rear Sun rim in gold and then the rim getting ruined by "overdrilling" of the spoke holes.

Really no big deal - it's not like the bike is unrideable as is!

More when they arrive...
  16. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    WELLLLLL,,,,,i JUST READ THIS THREAD FROM THE BEGINNING......

FYI,,,i am bringing the resources to bear,,to synthesis/collate the data requested by the noobs and many of the regulars so the never ending rehashing of these all too familiar for me subjects can be minimized,,,

you all have to remember that i have run my business by word of mouth until numerous folks asked me to get involved in your forum,,,,i lurked for half a year off and on,,,i was new to computers,,,do not know how to type,,,so it is REALLY tedious for me,,,especially disheartening when an answer i had just spent 45 minutes henpeckiing would disappear into cyberspace,,,,

i have e-mailed the staff over here to perhaps collate all these repetitious questions into their wisdom pages,,i have provide a wealth of data for you all in the quest and hope for you to make better decisions,,,so now i'm going to do just that with a colleague of mine....perhaps you can pm or e-mail with your favorite questions and answers...and perhaps suggest a format to categorize the data,,,,ie,,,
    tubeless tires ,,,advantages/disadvantages,,,when and where

i must admit i as well as quite a few others ,judging by their consistent complaints are a bit put off by the quality of this forums search engine,,,i have pretty well given up on it,,,,FYI ,,i can google the request and find more posts that way than from adv-riders own site:huh :huh :huh in less time

folks ,,i am always willing to chat and talk with ya ,,it IS my basic nature,,,not only that ,,but to give ya as current and solid data that serves your highest good/interests,,,i can honestly say that i've steered 98% or more of you in a better direction,,,,

there were a few of you ,,Sakurama and Jean-Luc BWOE,,,who ended up with what they or i/we thought they wanted BUT not what they needed,,,had i or my assistants been more astute/better listeners or asked better questions,,,they would never have been offered tubeless options,,,,,,,they should/would have been steered to the more durable 1.85x21 front Excel/Sun rims and either 2.50-2.75 x18 rear for hard core dirt riding or the 3.0-3.50x18 for optimal on road/off-road rim widths...BTW,,,those recommendations for optimal rim width combos to match riding style were posted many months earlier and on numerous occassions before these great guys placed their orders.

Regarding "bulletproof'',,,,,i am basically referring to the lace job,,,,i do not know of ANY rim that is impervious to being dented/cracked under the right conditions,,,and that includes forged rims,,,,
    i know of no one who has ever raced or toured who DNF'd or was left stranded due to a Superlace blowing/coming apart,,,i have pic's of guy doing baja,,,the mint -400,,,endurance road and off-road races with rims so flat across,,,yet the spokes stayed tight enough to keep on riding to the finish or get back home''',,,perhaps you all can help me find a better descriptor for a wheel like that,,,and i'll gladly coin it.

Regarding ,pricing,,,i can build you wheels for any price range you want,,,i have walls of spokes and rims to fit your budget,,,,doesn't bother me a bit,,,FYI,,,stock spokes to stock hub with stock rim,,,lace n true just $70 any deviation in the above makes it a 'custom' lace job,,,just $80.. the Superlace ranges in price depending on size of bike and the extra work time that goes into it $70 for all the mini moto-xers to 99 for the adv rider big mx stuff...Folks,,,there's no way someone out there can replicate what we do to your Superlaced wheel for $99.....i can lace n true several oem/custom wheelsin th time it takes to do one Superlace,,,,,the Superlace is my 'lagniappe' to the motorcycle world,,a world that has been loyal and generous to me.

and last but not least,,,the ''time '' element,,,i like many vendors thrive on the wings of other vendors,,,i try to anticipate need,,and stay i step ahead of the game,,,FYI in recent time i as well as my fellow wheelsmiths have been struggling trying to get the rims the way i want them,,,especially color-anodized Excels,,,turn around times for getting the quality we want have been atrocious,,,i'm building some wheels for Renasco,,,the black anodized Excel rims finally show up 8 weeks later,,they promised me ...2-3 weeks,,,,there is only one anodizer that has the Excel logos and set-up,,from what i understand he did all of the anodising for Excel in the usa,,,unfortunately Excel quit using him,,, so now there's a major vacuum and shake-up trying to get whatwe want,,,perhaps Sakurama's new vendor also got caught in this pinch???

BWOE,,recently Sun rims from Buchannan's show up mis-drilled,,with holes bigger than i can use,,,sure i could have used em,,,BUT knowing what i know and what product i want to build for you,,,they had to be sent back and new ones made,,,currently i'm having them drilled one size under what i need so that i can contol the final countersinking etc,,i do KNOW waiting sucks,,especially in the 'have it your way NOW culture we live in,,,

BTW,,,i do know the majority of you had the work performed in less than a week,,,some of my guys like to wait 3 days before sending off tubeless wheels,,,i usually figure they can cure just as well in the box that's heading your way ..perhaps someone can create a survey regading some of what you are all posting about ,,,,and any broken down racer or rider on the road,,,will always gets preferentiall treatment at woody's

ps ..wanna know how slow i am at his typing stuff,,,???just took me 1 hr and 42 min.!!!! for this post:eek1 :eek1 ,,that's why i prefer you all just call my toll free number,,,i can definitely think n jabber faster than i can type:wink:
  17. ephemeris

ephemeris UYPL

Oddometer:
    Woody,

You're a class act, if I add a set of 17/19's you'll get the business.

:thumb
  18. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Woody,

Thanks for taking the time.

I was NOT complaining. When I said it was not that big a deal I meant it.

I'd rather have the wheels done right than rushed.

There WERE extended periods when I felt just a little "out of the loop". Perhaps the person who took the order over-promised when he said "3 or 4 days". If he had said "up to 5 weeks" that would have been fine, as well.

Looking forward to the new wheels!
  19. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    they were sent today,,,,usps3day ,,,you'll have em before the weekend,,,sorry,for all the nitpicken things that slowed down the process,,,the nylon packing tape we put around the silicone is mainly for protection against loose tire irons,,,please be careful if you are spooning on the tires,,,we have a no touch tire machine adapted for mc use,,,sweet dreams,,,woody:clap
  20. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Woody!

I have my tires mounted and wheels balanced at Blue Ridge Yamaha. I'll forward your warning to them. I can mount tires myself, but at $15 per tire it's worth it to me to have them do it.

WAY OFF TOPIC:

If the inability to type well/fast is an issue, there are a number or programs out there that turn typing instruction into a "Space Invaders"-type game. Makes it almost fun and some skill and speed when typing are very valuable skills.

Just a thought...