New wheels (yipee!) and tire questions

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by FastEddieB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Woody!

The wheels really look nice.

Looks like I've got a project for tomorrow!

Attached Files:

2. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Going for a ride in about an hour - I'll report back first impressions after.

Attached Files:

3. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, Woody, help me out here. Being a wheelsmith myself, I was wondering what exactly defines a "Superlace"? Not to stir up anything, as your post are well informed, helpful and quite professional. I'm just curious, ya know.:ear

never mind- I actually went and found your site and read it. D'oh!

So basically, since most moto's tend to be a cross 2 pattern (a description left over from the bicycle days- motos use some other description that was lost on me the first time it was explained to me!) you modify the hubs/rims to a cross 3 and recalculate spoke length accordingly, correct? Along with the mentioned oversize stuff?
  4. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    How DO I switch the speedo to 19"?

I tried a search and keep getting pointed to a post about holding mode and reset for 10 seconds.

I've held them both for up to 20 seconds, both holding them before turning the bike on and after. I'm NOT getting taken to a screen to change wheel size.

I'm not retarded (I don't think) but feel I must be missing something simple.
  5. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the following handwritten in my manual on Page 7, Setting Options In The Display. Got the info from a previous post, knew I would never find it again so wrote it down. I tried it but left my bike at 21 as I'm more concerned about speeding tickets than precision in the mileage.

TO CHANGE WHEEL SIZE SEE BELOW:
    With mileage option (ODO) showing on the speedo, turn Key On, hold both Set & Mode buttons down for 10 seconds. 21 WS will start flashing. Continue choosing "Mode" until 19 is displayed. Press "Set" & it's done. The next time the key is turned on the display will show 19 WS.

Good Luck :D
  6. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    Thanks SO much! Worked first time.

The key was "With mileage option (ODO) showing on the speedo", which I had somehow missed before (I was trying it while in "TRIP 1").

Once you do that, MODE toggles you through 21"/19"/17" options.

Thanks again - love this site (and the members).
  7. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    As promised, some initial observations/impressions:

1) The new wheels lowered the bike about 1/2”, measured at the footpeg.

2) That 1/2” makes it even tougher to haul the bike up onto the centerstand. Still doable, but I may end up shortening the centerstand a bit.

3) That 1/2” results in less lean onto the sidestand - could be an issue when loaded. May shorten it a bit as well.

4) The 16T front sprocket feels fine. About 4,600 rpm at 70 mph, which is very smooth on my bike. In the twisties I still found myself in third and fourth a lot. If I was doing a long trip and expecting to do 80+ for extended periods I’d probably throw the 17T back on.

5) Once I set the speedometer to 19” the speedometer error is between 2 to 3 mph optimistic (GPS-verified) at about 60 mph.

6) On the road the bike feels great. A lot is probably psychological, but it’s very easy to get into the “SM” mode with the smaller wheels and the street-oriented tires (Metzeler Tourances). I took it very easy yesterday (new tires needing to be broken in), pushed it a little harder today. Up to the 5/10 or so I pllayed with today, the handling feels very neutral and the bike seems more “planted” (compared to stock wheels with TKC80’s).

7) On the dirt road I live on, the tires felt harsher and less compliant, esp. on the washboard portions. I backed off the rear “high-speed” compression damping a bit and I’ll see if that helps. Less overall traction than the TKC80’s, of course, but enough for what I plan on doing.

I’m taking the bike to the World Trial Championship in Sequatchie, TN tomorrow - I’ll report back if I have any further input after that..

After struggling with a too-tall bike on my long trip last summer, it’s a pleasure being able to easily flat-foot the bike. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. The Corbin helps here as well. I’m not as young, strong, flexible or nimble as I once was (at 56), and a man’s just gotta know his limitations!

Attached Files:

8. ephemeris

ephemeris UYPL

Oddometer:
    Congrats!

Have fun at the trials event, wish I could make it...................
    My flight arrives in Atlanta at 3:04 pm on Monday.
    :dog
  9. jhank

jhank not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful lookin' bike, FastEddie. I've followed this thread with interest. Someday hope to have the same setup. Good luck with the bike. I'll be tuned in for further info.
  10. mikeodial

mikeodial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love to hear how you feel after making all these changes and doing some time on it?
  11. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up,,,,there's so many things i'd love to learn,,,,and even space invaders would take time,,,whoever can sell 'time' would be a trillionaire:wink: ..thanks for the tip....w
  12. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    i do whatever it takes to provide you the ultimate wheel for the riding/racing and aesthetic needs of my customer,,,essentially i blue-print the wheel with the best componentry and skill i can muster,,,woody