New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like no one in the US as had this so maybe what I was told a week or two back as some truth,
    that the metal the discs were made of as been changed and this was the problem, our Xmax are built
    in France, I believe the US ones are built in Taiwan, ? if so the discs are likely from differing suppliers.
    I too fancied the mounting face and it's one of the things they are going to look at, though I have had
    a look and cant see anything. There is no noticeable pulsing at the lever like parts of the disc have
    more friction than others maybe it will be fixed for good on Thurs if not we have a 2 year warranty.
  2. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The XMAX imported into the U.S. was built in Indonesia.
  3. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't sure were but knew it wasn't the same as the UK/EU bikes.
  4. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently saw a video on the old Motobecane plant now called MBK in France where Yamaha is now building the XMAX for the European market. Very nice and updated.
    RalphM likes this.
  5. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a weird experience this morning. When I stopped at the drugstore I shut my bike off the usual way with the switch and immediately the key light on the dash started flashing very quickly and the alarm horn emitted a high beeping frequency… I turn the key fob off and it went away. After that the whole bike worked onNormally, and never repeated the problem on subsequent stops....So far… I pulled out the shop manual and all I can see is either the battery is low in the fob, or it’s radio interference… Has anybody else run into anything like this? My battery is only 30 days old, I’m going to swap it out for another one.
  6. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The key range as far as ignition is concerned is very low and just being in the wrong pocket
    can cause it to loose lock, if this happens the and you switch off the bike does what you
    describe to alert you and give you time to switch it back on.
  7. Glen e

Oddometer:
    I’m leaning toward radio interference. There was a tremendous amount of construction at the stop where this happened, and for the 4 other stops I made today doing errands , it didn’t happen again…Fob battery is not the problem, it is almost a fully charged 2032.

HERES THE SOLUTION:
    [update: just got a new iPhone, and when the keys are kept in the same pants pocket as the phone, I get an intermittent connection with the bike. Move the phone and the keys to separate pockets and the problem goes away…]
    Speedtrap likes this.
  8. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking scoot, Id love to try one of these out soon.

9. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It operates on 433.92 in the UK thats right in the most used part of the shared with military
    70cm ham radio band, though yours in the US may be on 315mhz
  10. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan on commuting on my 2019 XMAX all winter in the Nashville area. For the previous 9 years I did so on my motorcycle. Temperatures will often be below freezing. My motorcycle never failed to start even when temperatures we in the mid teens. I live in an apartment so my XMAX is outdoors in the parking lot with a motorcycle cover over it.

My concern is the cold starting ability of the XMAX. Has anyone here had to start their XMAX when temperatures were below freezing ?
  11. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, and I hope I never have to.

But it should be fine. Yamaha generally does a good job with mapping.
  12. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never at freezing but very close and it started up as normal.
  13. Glen e

Oddometer:
    The main thing the cold is going to affect is the battery. Before you go into the season , make sure it’s efficiency is 100%. If you can get a $35 battery maintainer on the bike, it will really help the battery, However riding it every day will almost do the same thing.
  14. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Glen, I agree my concern is at the low temperatures if our 120 CCA battery will be able to turn the engine over. My motorcycle had a 230 CCA battery although the motor was a twin and had over twice the engine CC. I do ride my XMAX every day. I also have a Battery Tender charger but since I have to park in a parking lot I will have to bring the battery inside to put it on the charger. Even though I have only had my XMAX for four months I have no idea if the battery was properly charged before it was turned over to me. This weekend I will pull the battery and put it on the tender for a day to make sure it is fully charged. I also have to put the windscreen into the higher position for winter riding and change the oil to Synthetic.
  15. Glen e

Oddometer:
    I lived in Nashville for several years, actually Hendersonville. The weather there isn’t going to get cold enough that you even need to bother with any type of change in your regimen. It’s when things are below 0°F that the battery gets worked hard. If it does get to be near zero and windy, It will also help tremendously if you tie the cover using the underneath grommets to protect it from frigid wind blows…
  16. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I took the cover off to check the battery. It measured 12.85 volts so no need to take it out and charge it. I was looking at the terminals to see about attaching a pigtail with an SAE plug that I can use for my electric tire pump. I noticed a separate set of wires already on the terminals. When I fished them out it turns out someone already connected an SAE plug on the battery. My dealer got my XMAX directly from the Yamaha warehouse so I assume the dealer installed it since I doubt Yamaha would have. That saved me a few minutes.

I also raised the windscreen, checked the tire pressure and changed the oil and filter. All set for a 200 mi!e ride tomorrow to the Cumberland Plateau and back. Forecast is sunny and 71.
  17. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Just for grins I would like to figure out from the dealer where that pigtail came from. If he says that he doesn’t mount those as a standard procedure, then one possibility is the bike was sold and returned with very ,very few miles because it just didn’t work out, or the person couldn’t get financed etc.… This happens in the car business all the time. The easy way to check is to call Yamaha and ask them to read you who’s on the warranty ;meaning some other person, or you. If it’s somebody else, the dealer owes you an explanation, but it can be changed with some simple paperwork.
  18. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it was a return as I saw it in the shipping crate that it was delivered in from the Factory. My name is on the warranty. I had already contacted Yamaha Y.E.S. Regarding the extended warranty I purchased to verify I was registered. I am pretty sure the dealer put the pigtail on. When I stop by there on my next visit I will ask them. It is very curious.
  19. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you also know you’re OK when you receive mail/email stuff from Yamaha. In the car business, when A guy returns the car after three days ,sometimes they forget to update the warranty so all the recall information and other things still go to him.....
  20. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must have a look on mine next time I have the front off, there are two diagnostic connectors
    under there one for the ecu the other for the abs, but I have not noticed anything else,