New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sure I have seen somewhere it is quite low by modern standards somewhere about 180W
    were most are around 330W so about 13 amps as against 24 amps the book does not give a
    headlight wattage but would think it's lower than for normal lights so you get a bit back there.
    Mine holds 14..2/3 on tickover but it only has a gps and camera to power.
  2. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    According to the XMAX service manual the charging system puts out 175 watts. Certainly not a lot but the LED head lights and tail lights help that out. I also suspect that Yamaha does not think a lot of people are going to be riding the XMAX when its cold enough to require a lot of electric gear like you would see on larger touring or adventure touring motorcycles. Most of these have pretty high output charging systems to accommodate additional electrical requirements. My previous sport touring motorcycle could handle electric hand grips, gloves and a jacket liner all on high power at one time fairly easily.

This winter with my XMAX I am going to go without any electric gear other than separate battery powered gloves. My hands seems to always be my weak link
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can use a Gerbings heated jacket at speed. The jacket draws 77 watts when on 100%. Typically I use it at 40 - 70 percent, depending on how much heat I need. The Xmax will run it, but barely. I put it on a battery tender after the ride.

This is the one disappointment of an otherwise brilliant bike. Conversely my BV350 will run the jacket, gloves, etc, and maintain charging voltage in the 14’s at anything above idle.
  4. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably not worth it unless your battery is on the way out, you can get a uprated
    alternator that does about 260W at 3500 rpm but again likely not worth it unless you have a dire need.
    kpinvt likes this.
  6. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was 38°F when I left for work this morning at 6:45 am. The XMAX started right up, no problem. I did notice on the information screen the word "ICE" was flashing. I guess I forgot that was a feature. I also saw on the clock section a flashing symbol that looked like a snow flake. Still need to add my pinlock lens into my face shield and get out my heavy winter riding jacket. The stock XMAX wind screen in the high position seems to be doing a fair job blocking the wind and I can still see over it which is a plus. So far I am enjoying cold weather riding on the XMAX.

This Sunday it is supposed to get up to 77°F so I am going out for a 200 mile ride in the country. Not many of these warm days ahead of us in Tennessee
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Warren, I mentioned your "38º and flashing ICE" to the Blonde. She said she hopes to never see that on her Xmax. I have to agree with that. Hope Mother Nature is good to you this weekend and you get that ride in. We don't get fall colors around here, so post some photos! Enjoy!
    kpinvt likes this.
  8. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must be just the wrong height for the screen set to high, it just catches my line of sight
    and I end up plowing through every pot hole "and in the UK we have lots" on the road,
    but to be honest I find it fine on the low setting, though I do much prefer the bars in the
    forward position.

Second new disc now fitted techy could find nothing wrong with anything else so I will
    see how long this one lasts hopefully it is now fixed.
  9. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going off on a tangent here, hope that's ok. While looking at various videoes on youtube, I discovered something I found intriguing and funny. For some reason there's a lot of tmax gangster rap songs in various european languages! I have no idea what they're saying, except the occasional "yamaha t-max" often repeated in the refrains of these songs. And it triggers several questions in my head.

1) There seems to be a cult following of the T-max in some younger gangster rapper dudes on youtube. Why?
    2) Why is there no proper t-max discussion on adventure rider, like we got here for xmax?
    3) How funny would it be if there was similar style videos about xmax also?

Examples:

I'm sorry this is not strictly xmax related, but it's sort of like its big brother.
  10. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the UK the T-max is one of the weapons of choice for bag snaches, st robberies and such
    though things are getting a bit better now the police have taken the kid gloves off and have
    started ramming the little shits.
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn! If I was lucky to have a t-max, I wouldn't feel the need to steal. But if you wanted to snatch bags, perhaps the xmax would be even better? Could escape narrower streets and traffic, equal or better storage? Also, the saddle oppens up weirdly on the t-max (opposite direction).
  12. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to that 260W alternator? Living in BRRR-mont like I do I have a pressing need to stay warm because I'll ride in cold temps but only if I can run my jacket and glove liners.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  13. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are not really the owners of the T-max they steal them too.
    Alexander B and FreewheelBurning like this.
  14. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it was a US firm that was doing them and the price was around $115 but cant find the
    link will post it if I come across it again.
  15. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In mainland Europe the T-max is a cultural icon, to give a comparison for those on the wrong side of the Atlantic, its kinda like a two wheeled Ford Mustang.
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  16. big bear 5

big bear 5 n00b

Oddometer:
    i havent seen the 2020 xmax listed on yamahas web site has it been discontuined here in the US i hope not but im glad i already have one if it has been discontunied
  17. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope it's not been killed off here , but if it has there are some great deals on Vespa's to be had. :clap
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  18. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Wdoney

Wdoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After 3-1/2 months and 3,500 miles on my XMAX I have changed my opinion of the Scoot Smart tires. I have ridden the XMAX on some major twisties here in Tennessee as well as everyday commuting and the Scoot Smarts have been faultless. I also had a chance coming home from work last night to ride in a heavy rain and again the performed extremely well although since its my first time in the rain on them I rode reasonably conservative. They are not even 1/2 worn yet so I suspect I will get over 7,000 miles on the rear before the wear bars show.

It is interesting that Revzilla and even the Dunlop website do not list the Scoot Smart sizes for the XMAX.

When it comes time to change them out I still plan on getting Michelin City Grips just to compare.
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I changed the Scoot Smart rear tire for a City Grip at 6000 miles. It was worn out.

Then rode that tire 9,000 miles and changed it for a new City Grip. I probably could have ridden another 1000 but changed it for another long ride.

I had no issues with the performance of either tire but prefer the extra miles I got from the City Grip.

Bill
    Speedtrap and ismatts like this.