New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The one on the Yamaha site still has the old style clocks the UK bikes have not had them for nearly two years
  2. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the city grip come in a size that would allow you to slightly increase the rear tire from stock, without doing any modifications whatsoever to the bike or to the tire?
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Revzilla shows a City Grip in 150 70 14. That would increase width and diameter. It probably fits. .
  4. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hoping someone will post here that has actually slapped a larger one on..... I’m due for a new rear in the next couple months.
  5. BadBuddyz

BadBuddyz Newbie Touring Addict

Oddometer:
    yup. it does fit nicely, unless you already fitted a rear hugger, it might not fit.
    A few of my ride buddies use 150/70/14 for rear. Though it is a bit wider, it really look nice from rear.
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso only has 150/70/14, they do not have 140/70/14
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The Pirelli Diablo has a reputation for being the stickiest scooter tire available.

Great performance, but they wear out a bit earlier.

Typical of grippy tires.
  7. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sticky tyres usually wear faster but riders that lean the bike more often get better tyre mileage.
    deepcdiver and Tromper like this.
  8. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To get the best tyre mileage, go round and round in circles.
    You won't get anywhere, but the tyres will last forever! :rofl
  9. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far I’ve just been using the Xmax for commuting 35 miles round trip to work and it’s doing nicely.

With the day off and temps in the 70’s I decided to head over to Edom in East Texas and get some lunch and better put the Xmax through it’s paces for 270 miles. It performed well from the interstate to narrow East Texas back roads that I love. Here are a few pictures of the day.

IMG_1107.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

Attached Files:

10. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or until you get dizzy and fall off.
    fm13 and Tromper like this.
  11. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done a few rides in the 200/350 miles range and no problem at all. Do like the idea that you can ride as far as you can in one direction and not end up in the sea, I live on the west coast of the UK and if I ride east till I reach the east coast then back home I will only have done 270 odd miles having done 2 coast to coast rides. Great pics great ride.
    bluemoon1 likes this.
  12. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Texas has the all the mileage in any direction you could want. Great roads though, not so much. Pretty much just the Hill Country and some of East Texas.

Looking at those pictures I think I need some red Speedblocks too.
    RalphM likes this.
  13. Plasins

Plasins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please can anyone tell me the weight of the standard exhaust can and the weight of the centre stand.. Thank you.
  14. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new 2020 Yamaha Tricity 300. Uses the XMAX engine platform. Interesting but I doubt if we will see one in the US.

15. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
  16. Plasins

Plasins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  17. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I took what will probably be my last long ride of the year. Got in 250 miles riding out to the Cumberland Plateau. Temps in the mid to high 50's with mist. The XMAX provided ample weather protection although after an hour I had to switch to my electric gloves. Sorry no pictures. It was too wet and overcast to want to stop to take any. Other than the weather it would have been a good day for pictures as the leaves are turning colors. Back to my daily commuting on the XMAX for the next few months.
    bluemoon1 and mattdaniels like this.
  18. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at the XMAX at the dealer in Kansas this morning. Have been going back and forth with the SMAX but like the additional capability of the larger scooter. The dealer said his XMAX model was 2019 and did not know about any 2020 changes. I'm wondering when the last changes were made to the XMAX and when any new ones could be expected in the U.S.? I would wait for any new changes if they are in fact pending?

Also, I read where the XMAX has a "large air cooling path for drive belt". I live in a rural area and intend to drive sometimes on dirt and gravel. Is the belt drive going to be a problem with these CVT transmissions on off tarmac roads? Can they be cleaned by the owner simply? Thanks for any insights to these questions.
  19. Glen e

Oddometer:
    I think that’s one of those features cooked up in the marketing department more so than engineering. I’ve been completely underneath the motor and have disassembled most of my bike, plus I have the shop manual... I can’t see a tremendous amount of debris getting in anymore than any other CVT transmission. Nothing looks open, in terms of a open air vent of any sort. But no matter, get yourself a hex socket cordless wrench and you can get the covers off of the whole CVT very easily , it’d be a 20 minute cleanup job every 6 to 8 months.
  20. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Encouraging, thanks.