New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    36° in Nashville this morning. I was reasonably warm on the ride to work. Need to get my pin lock shield installed to keep the fogging at bay. Other than that a typical winter ride in Nashville. No other motorcycles on the road however. It should be 62° on the ride home but unfortunately due to daylight savings time it will be dark. It always feels colder when you ride in the dark.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there soon!
    CashCow likes this.
  3. RenoRaines

RenoRaines n00b

Oddometer:
    How big of a deal is it to get to the battery? I suspect not too big but I've not done it on this particular bike before. I probably just went on my last ride of the year here in North Georgia and it's time to turn things over to the battery tender. My concern is breaking the plastic tabs so any tips would be appreciated.
  4. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kpinvt and RenoRaines like this.
  5. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are no tabs to break. ....It’s simple. A few screws on the front in the little wings And the whole piece falls forward and exposes the battery. Easier than pretty much any other scooter I’ve done recently. The loose wires in the picture are for my running lights, ignore them. 36EE1965-348D-4E01-83F4-C7DC48E1878E.jpeg
    The Virginian, kpinvt and RenoRaines like this.
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taks 2-3 mins to remove the front panel to get to the battery. It's shown in the user manual. I've done it several times to wire in a sat nav etc, very easy. There is also access to the diagnostic connectors under there.
    kpinvt and RenoRaines like this.
  7. RenoRaines

RenoRaines n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  8. Anon2018

Anon2018 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please don’t take offence but when I attempted to remove the front panel it did not simply fall forward and I did succeed in breaking a couple of tabs.

I’m not saying that the front panel is not easily removed on most Xmaxes but it certainly was not on mine.
    RenoRaines likes this.
  9. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a tab at the top on the right and left that has to be pulled out before you slide the panel down.
    CaptnJim and RenoRaines like this.
  10. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watch the vid a few posts back, 2 screws out then the two tabs they have to come out at 90% to the bike
    the front then slides down and out easily, but as Wdoney says the tabs must be pulled first.
    RenoRaines likes this.
  11. Jack2001

Jack2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The XMAX 300 is not easier than the 2018 and newer Suzuki Burgman 400, where the battery is located in the front glove box.....that is the easiest scooter battery access ever!
    I have put 6,000 miles on my XMAX 300 when I traded it in for a 2018 Suzuki Burgman 400, which I have also put 6,000 miles on. I found both bikes great, but the newly redesigned Burgman 400 is a 1000 times better. This isn't your daddy's Burgman 400.....it's lighter, narrower, sportier and faster at low and mid speeds than the previous generation. Again the 2018 and newer Suzuki Burgman 400 is a completely different bike than any previous Burgman you have owned or rode.

Let me tell you what you get on the 2018 and newer Suzuki Burgman 400 vs the XMAX
    You get 2 disc brakes up front vs only 1 on the xmax.
    You get a parking brake vs none on the xmax.
    You get an engine with an extra 108cc than the xmax which really helps at interstate speeds when its windy and hilly
    You get a more comfortable seat that has a 3 position lumbar adjustment or you can remove it by taking out 2 screws and slide in a full back rest with no modifications to the bike.
    You get a seat height 2.2 inches lower than the xmax.
    You get better LED lighting and double the amount of high beam LED's
    You get a 41mm front forks vs 33mm on the xmax and a better rear suspension
    You get a longer wheelbase, better windshield, wider rear tire and a narrower bike than the xmax
    You get built in front and rear blinkers for a clean look vs front and rear whiskers on the xmax
    You have a lower seat height and lower center of gravity and the additional 75 lbs means you won't get blown around on the interstate when its windy
    You get 2 actual keys rather than a single keyless unit. No worrying if your keyless battery is about to die, malfunction, ect.
    You get a bike that has a bigger engine, better lighting, better brakes, better suspension, lower seat height, more comfortable seat and is sportier than the xmax.
    I bought the Burgman 400 new for $7300 marked down. The additional $1600 above the xmax price is the best additional money you can spend. Many throughout this thread spend $1000's on mods to get a better or lower seat, better suspension, eliminate the blinkers, better lighting, ect. Skip the hassle and just go with the Burgman 400. The additional 75 lbs. of weight on the Burgman was not noticeable to me. You are not lifting 75 extra pounds. Whether you are rolling a 400 lb scooter or a 474 lb scooter, because the weight is so low it is hard to tell. The Suzuki is half an inch narrower than the xmax, so to me the Burgman feels easier to handle and maneuver.

I have owned both the Burgman 400 and the XMAX 300 over the past year and have ridden both for 6,000 miles. I drive the interstate and the city. I can say the new Suzuki Burgman 400 is the best midsize scooter on the market.
    Now I realize the xmax fanboys will get all defensive because someone has dared to challenge their decision, but I stand by my fair and unbiased assessment. I bought an xmax and wanted to save others from making the same mistake once they realize all of its shortcomings. Unless you have owned and rode both the XMAX 300 and a 2018 or newer Suzuki Burgman 400 for at least 6,000 miles each, your credibility is weak. I didn't take either of these bikes on a few mile test drive or "one time I rode a friends".....I have bought, owned and rode them for 6,000 each.
    sro99, Speedtrap and rlkat like this.
  12. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of a fan boy. I think you already shared this previously. I doubt anyone then or now has or will trade in their XMAX based on your “unbiased” opinion. Interesting how you turn every Burgman negative into a positive. Anyway glad you are as happy with your selection as I with mine.
    CaptnJim likes this.
  13. Jack2001

Jack2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see my prediction of the overly defensive fanboys coming out of the woodwork has come to fruition quicker than expected.....lol. Considering I bought and rode an XMAX 300 for 6,000 miles and traded it for 2018 Suzuki Burgman 400.....you sound quite foolish claiming you "doubt" anyone would make the trade.....I DID and many more will too if they want a superior bike. All the negative comments posted in this forum about the xmax are immediately corrected by the Burgman 400. There are no negatives in the Burgman 400 to turn into positives. Take it easy son and don't get so defensive.......the xmax is a solid bike, but is more like a toy when compared to the 2018 and newer Suzuki Burgman 400. And I'm very happy with my choice and I will be making my unbiased opinion available to current and future riders who are interested. I have owned and ridden both bikes for 6,000 miles in the past 12 months. There are very few people who can make that claim having spent that many miles in such a short time period. I have nothing to gain or lose and am simply sharing a comparison of these 2 bikes and how one is clearly superior.
    Someone said removing most of the front end to get to the battery on the xmax was considered easy and I didn't mention that in my previous post of Burgman improvements over the xmax how the battery is conveniently located in the glove box.
  14. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait...I WANT ONE!!!
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Well, maybe you could have left out the part about "making the same mistake" if you didn't want to rile anyone. :jack

For full disclosure, I don't have a dog in this fight. I do have a wife who recently bought an Xmax, but she isn't a dog. Neither is her new scoot. :-) Not many of us buy one bike and have it be the one and only for their entire riding years. We move up or down in size as our riding style or need changes. We used to ride long distances and be out for extended time - full dress bikes were the logical choice for us back then. As our traveling desires changed (no matter how comfortable your bike might be, a motorhome is more comfortable [personal opinion]) and our riding became more day-tripping, resulting in lighter, sportier bikes. As one of us became more decrepit, with a hip that was wearing out, we made the move to small scooters. While we continue to have a blast with scoots, none of this made our earlier bike choices "a mistake."

Realistically, when I pull up next to a guy on a Harley with my Vespa, the odds are pretty good that he could never picture himself on my choice. But, having had a bunch of Harleys over the years, I do appreciate his perspective. Everyone gets to make their choice and "vote" with their dollars.

I am not defensive because you are happier on a B400 than an Xmax. In fact, I really like to see people find the ride that best suits them. Of course, I think all y'all should be riding a Vespa...because that is my choice. Yeah, just kidding... if everyone was riding a Vespa, then I would have to get something else... because I have to make a better choice. :imaposer Just having fun.

I recall reading that some B400 owners prior to the 2018 model felt that update was, in fact, a down-grade. Perspective. "A mistake" would be me buying a tall dirt bike because I have a 30" inseam and don't like to ride dirt. Not to mention I don't want to screw up the new hip. But, for someone that wants a mid-size scooter, there are options. Choices. And the fact that you made the mistake of not getting a Vespa... nahhh, I'm just messing with you. :D

It was a pair of Honda PCXes 6 years ago that got us off bigger bikes and onto scooters. Now that we have both moved onto bigger scoots (still small compared to bigger bikes in our past), it doesn't mean those PCXes were "mistakes" - they were just what we needed at the time.

Enjoy your ride.
    DandyDoug and sro99 like this.
  16. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    I would love to try a Burgman, but I am satisfied with no mods on my XMAX, which I purchased from the Yammie dealer used for $4k out the door with 1500 miles on it and tons of warranty left. $7300 for a new Burgman is out of the question. If I could get an “18 Burgman with 1500 miles on it for $5k and dealer warranty it could happen. BTW it was windy and gusty as hell on the freeway ride home, the XMAX surprised the hell out me with its stability, and that is coming off an R1200RT. My buddy bought a new BMW CMAX for I think $11k out the door, but with it’s heavier weight the bigger motor gives the exact performance of the XMAX. We’re both happy. As far as the battery placement I would rather remove two screws and keep the extra space in my glove box. Glad you like your Suzuki. What mpg are you getting?
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jack, so many of the things you mention in your analysis are a matter of opinion. I have no doubt the Burgman is more powerful, heavier, and has beefier suspension. I'm glad it's better for you. But that doesn't make it "better".
  18. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if 2020 XMAX has any changes but they both need rear fenders. Many of us out of necessity or preference will venture onto a dirt road from time to time. As mentioned before a rear fender will help keep engine and components cleaner and easier to clean.
  19. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my xmax for commuter duty. There are 22 traffic lights on my trip to work , one way, which is why a scooter is better than my BMW RT, an automatic is the way to go. Having owned a Honda Silverwing, a Helix, and a C600 Sport , I know what I like or don't like about "maxi" scooters.
    First of all weight, I have to keep my bikes in a shed led to over uneven ground, although I can ride in, getting out requires pushing. Weight is very important on uneven ground and I chose the Xmax on that basis. Please note that the 400 Burgman was never on the short list due to its weight and of course price. If I want to push around a heavy bike I can push my 600 LBS RT. ( Note,I am considering trading my RT for a new 900XR just because it is 100 lbs lighter). Speed, the xmax goes fast enough to get a speeding ticket on any highway in New England, enough said. Size, the xmax is rather larger than I would like and narrow enough for my commute. Brakes, if one disc works a second one is excess weight and if one disc will activate ABS you don't need two. Keys, I love keyless ignition, I keep my button fob in my pocket with a lanyard
    to my belt, it never gets lost and, when I am geared up keys were all ways under two or three layers of clothes and I had to spend time undressing to get them out, not with the keyless fob. Seat height , if the xmax was heavier the seat would be to high, but, it's lighter and the extra seat height is good in traffic. I could go on , but won't cause I picked the xmax for MY needs and found the Burgman owners reasons why he thought the four hundred was better were actually reasons why I didn't consider it. Oh! I almost forgot, the xmax is much better looking than the Burgman ( my opinion). "Looks" really only played a small part in my purchase decision.
  20. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to remove one panel from the front of the bike to access the battery, takes less than 2 mins. If you can't manage something so simple it looks like your mechanical aptitude for even the most basic home maintenance is severely lacking. Better you leave the dealer to manage everything for you.