New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I enjoy the friendly comraderie throughout Battle Scooters. Hopefully, we can get back to friendly again. I'll relate our initial Xmax experience...

Joan was disappointed when things went south with the C400X purchase (a stop-sale and a recall), but says she couldn't be happier with her Xmax; her words: "Sometimes everything works out for a reason." I asked her about the seat height - she said when she wears boots, she can easily flat-foot it. If she wears sneaks, she is flat foot on the left side and solidly on the ball of the foot on the right side. So, not having to "tippy-toe it" I asked. She said, "I wouldn't buy a bike that doesn't fit me. It's taller than the PCX, but I think it's a better fit; more room - definitely better protection. I notice the weight difference when parking it. I like the fact that it's about 50 pounds lighter than the BMW." No, I didn't coach her. I had to look at some photos of her with her feet down while on the bike - yep, just the way she described it. This was a grab shot a couple weeks ago, to get an image of the back of her shirt - I had to do some cropping to get a good view of her feet...

[​IMG]

My last motorcycle was a Suzuki V-Strom with a 32.2" seat height, and she had no issue with that; she wasn't a fan of the riding position, though.

We did look at a bunch of scoots in her search: BV 350, GTS, BMW C400X, Burgman 200 and 400, Honda Forza. She was excited to check out the BV 350, and it was at that dealership where she test rode the Xmax. She thought about it overnight and we went back and made the deal on the Xmax.

She has had plenty of other bikes over the years, including full dress (Honda Goldwing and Harley), a couple cruisers and sport bikes. Moving to scooters 6 years ago was her idea, when it hurt too much for me to throw a leg over a motorcycle. It was a good move for us. With the new hip, I can toss a leg over a motorcycle again... but I am hooked on our scoots.

I told her we could get the BMW when they get that brake issue sorted out, and I would take her Xmax. She said, "You can get the BMW if you want - I like what I have."

These days, we don't spend a lot of time on the freeway on the scoots. We both moved up in top speed so that we could handle the occasional highway speeds when necessary. We ride for the fun of it - we both prefer twisty roads with speed limits less than 55. Those are a bit hard to come by where we live, but tonight, she was showing me some interesting roads on a map where we will be on our next motorhome outing. Great riding partner.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    You are a lucky man.

My wife had never shown much interest in riding.

She does ride pillion on our trips to Europe, but that is more European vacation than scooter ride for her.

But after Portugal this year she asked me to get the Zuma prepared for her to ride.

I got it licensed and put a top case on it and a couple of lessons.

Now she is riding it through the neighborhood to yoga classes.

I may have a riding partner yet!

Bill
  3. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife has a horse.
    Wish I could get her to ride a scooter instead, would save a fortune.
    fm13, The Virginian, Ivabign and 4 others like this.
  4. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live a half mile from paved road on a dirt road with some gravel. All the local dirt/gravel roads are flat and hard packed so I intend to ride those in a limited way. Cars go down them at 40-50 mph no problem and few potholes. I can't see a problem with that even with low clearance. Will just have to keep an eye on CVT air cleaners. Most riding will be on paved road but on tours there will surely be times I need to take a dry dirt or gravel road. For a while I kept going back and forth between a Kaw Versys X 300 and the XMAX but have decided on the MAX. 90% I"ll be on paved.
  5. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Informative video, wonder how many miles he had on those. Looked mangy. I also read somewhere about a pre filter but don't remember where that was? He didn't show any here.
  6. Hip001

Hip001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found good quality lower wind deflectors? Not bad in the warmer months but now that its cold, the wind around my legs gets chilly!
  7. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    mattdaniels likes this.
  8. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clampett made some out of some plastic stuff he found at the dollar store. Contact him and he might share.
  9. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are those deflectors held on with? 2 sided tape? Just wondering about throwing them on for the winter months and then taking them off after for a few years.
  11. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Dealer has 2019 XMAX with 300 miles. Asking $5188. I test drove 5 miles same scooter. Slight scratch on right side was dropped at dealer while showing. Was bought there and traded back in as buyer decided on a dirt bike. NADA says low retail $3670, Average $4830. KBB says $4950 good condition typical mileage. What say you on offer? So far I see no changes for 2020. New 2020 list is $5699.
  12. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1 screw on the bottom footboards and 3m tape. Mine are clear and were cheaper. Search ebay for a better deal unless they are sold out.
  13. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Id have to see pictures of the damage. But I am seeing new and used 2019's on cycle trader for for $4,500 and probably plus dealer fees.
  14. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pay the 5188 if he will take off all the pieces of plastic that are scratched, and replace them with new. Those pieces are inexpensive.

5188 looks to be fair, (but on the high-end of fair)..... if that makes sense…
  15. Ivabign

Ivabign n00b

Oddometer:
    Without seeing the scratch it's hard to comment on it, but as someone else said it would be nice if they'd just replace the panel. Are there any dealer fees on top of that price and does it include a warranty? Also, has the first service been done?
  16. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frankly for the price difference I would buy a new 2020.
    fm13, kpinvt and minimac like this.
  17. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for comments. One thing about a new 2019 or 2020 would be that I pay transport and assembly whereas here all i would pay is $175 Doc & Title and maybe get to $5000 OTD plus tax. The scratch is minimal. A new one with fee would be closer to $6500 OTD. I see only two 2020 models and they popped up in FL. My dealer has not seen any yet and doesn't expect to for awhile. I do like the "grey" a little better.
  18. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want the slightly damaged "USED" one, I'd print off the NADA and KBB prices and meet somewhere that you are happy and he makes a small reasonable profit. Remember he already made a profit off the machine .

If for any reason you cannot come to a mutually agreed price, buy the new model .
    Either way you both win.
  19. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless of the mileage, it's a used, one model year old bike. That being said, if you're happy with the price, that's all that matters, no matter what!
  20. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Buy it and Ride it ! Sounds like a fair deal to me