New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just place the backpack on the tunnel and hold it in place with your legs.
    Sounds dodgy, but it works really well.
    If I go shopping on the way home I place the shopping under the seat and to make space, my work backpack gets moved from under the seat and sits on the tunnel.
    If you are goig for the topcase option, a Shad or Givi is usually a much cheaper option than factory accessory, and of the same quality.
    And there are more style and size options.
  2. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my limited experience with Givi, not Yamaha top cases the liner bags are for rider convenience. Open the top case, grab the bag and go, no need to remove the case from the bike.
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I have ridden my Vespa with a Givi 37L top case in the rain - no issue with leaks. The Yamaha 50L top case looks to be a re-badged Givi: same latch release, same mounting plate as my 37L. In fact, I have swapped them from bike to bike. A top case is a necessity on my Vespa, since even a 3/4 helmet won't fit under the seat. My wife does not like the top case on her Xmax, both from a looks and use standpoint... she gets more backpressure with wind with the top case on the bike. We have not ridden with her 50L top case in the rain, but it seems to close and seal the same as mine.
  4. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my Xmax used and it had the Yamaha 50L top box. I rarely use it but I'm very glad I have it for those times when I know I'll need more storage. It looks like a quality piece and has a rubber weather seal that encircles the lid of the top case. While I haven't had the top box out in the weather much, I fully expect it to be waterproof. I have other Givi's and one Shad box and all have been waterproof for me. This one seems equally well made. The only slight niggle I've had is the weather seal was a little loose and some of it fell out of the channel where it normally resides. A few drops of glue every so often on the portion that came out solved that issue.

As far as The Blonde that CaptnJim alluded to not liking the back pressure the box created, I haven't had much issue. I suppose I feel it a little but it hasn't been a problem for me. Different body types I suppose. I do notice slightly better gas mileage without it so I leave it off unless needed.
  5. Hip001

Hip001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please post a picture of the xmax with the box on it.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    [​IMG]

I didn't take a shot from the side, but that 50L top case is big.

[​IMG]
  7. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have taken 2 -500 mile trips on my Xmax, and have got really good use out of Krieda 30 L bag And small nylon bags under the seat. … I really don’t like boxes, especially on the Xmax, because the luggage rack sux, which puts it much further back and much higher than I like, the rack doesn’t look right on the bike. And a box just makes it look worse. Just my opinion

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...VTdyGCh39HAcjEAQYASABEgJcjvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Wdoney likes this.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Givi box sits lower and closer to the seat that the Yamaha one. However, if you use the Givi rack, you need to drill 2 holes in the rear panel for the support tubes. I did this without any problems and it looks much better than the Yamaha rack/box and it also allows you to retain the factory grab rails. If you use the Yamaha rack, the grab rails have to go as they are replaced by the rack mountings.
    fm13 likes this.
  9. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Glen e solution. How do you tie that down? Use the hand rails or get underneath somewhere?
  10. francisthepig

francisthepig Dances with Lurkers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there Saturday with the family. Looking at accessories, wife won't let get a new scooter yet.
  11. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a OEM top box never had a drop of water get in and being UK based it has seen some rain.
    The OEM case clips direct to the OEM carrier no need for any adapter plates.
  12. Anon2018

Anon2018 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Givi 55 litre box fitted, simply because I already owned it, but having looked at the OEM box fitted to other Xmaxes I believe the latter is better quality and as already stated fits directly to the Yamaha rack. The rack itself is of much better quality than the Givi rack and avoids the need to drill holes in the bodywork.
  13. m125358

m125358 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone!

I agree with Glen e and the rest on the looks. One other consideration is that my fiancee enjoys riding the scoot with me and I think she would feel more comfortable on it with some sort of backrest. We've only done trips around town so far, but I'd like to take her on some weekend tours around the state. For this purpose, the 50L top box with backrest combo would work really well!

For literally everything else though, a dry bag strapped to the back would be totally sufficient for my needs. I can always just install the separate Yamaha backrest for around-town comfort/security for the lady.

Decisions decisions. I'll probably end up with the rear rack, top box, and backrest combo. May be on the ugly side but it sure is utilitarian.

On an unrelated note, and maybe I'm in the minority here, but I am digging the color scheme on the US 2020 model Xmax. I have the black-on-black 2019, which I like better than the white 2018. But the grey with bronze wheels combo looks sharp. Would love to see some in-the-wild pics when one of you picks yours up!
  14. m125358

m125358 n00b

Oddometer:
    CashCow, let's meet up soon. Work is finally starting to lighten up for me. I'm in Neptune Beach but commute through Riverside/Avondale most days. Looking forward to tapping into your treasure trove of NE FL scooter rides.
  15. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The official top case will keep all rain out, at least I never noticed any leakage (have ridden in heavy rain). The rubber liner works great, but mine loosened, and I had to glue it back on twice (using glue gun). Disappointed that it didn't stay put. The glue from the glue gun can be peeled off, so no harm in repeating the process).
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend is at a dealer right now looking at a 2019 Xmax. They are having trouble figuring out the Key fob. Also it looks like it also comes with regular keys but they can't find any place to put it. Any owners who can shed some light on this?
  17. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m no expert on this but, the fob has got to be something like within 25 inches of the ignition switch. The fob obviously has to be on as well. With the fob on, push the knob on the ignition in and turn it clockwise to where it either says open and you can then open the seat or the front storage lid in the cowling or turn it clockwise almost 90° to the on position and then you can use ignition switch to start the vehicle.
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Just let me know when you are around.

I will gladly show you some routes.

Bill
  19. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, to turn off the motor just turn the center knob in the ignition back to the original position. If for some reason you leave the knob someplace other than its original position and you leave the fob on, the bike will start beeping at you as you walk away. I leave my fob on all the time and I always make sure the ignition switch is turned to the off position when I’m finished.
  20. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think pictures of the top box were requested.

IMG_1169.jpg IMG_1175.jpg IMG_1174.jpg IMG_1173.jpg