New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    In the eyes of the law anything up to 50cc is a moped, anything over 50cc is a motorcycle. You could say that a scooter is a type of motorcycle. Then what exactly is a scooter? Well.. that's pretty fuzzy.

The Aprilia Mana 850 has automatic transmission with CVT. Scooter?

The Honda NC700 Integra has gears and chain. Motorcycle?

The Honda Africa Twin DCT doesn't have a clutch lever. Scooter?

The Yamaha T-Max doesn't have the engine as part of the swingarm. Motorcycle?

The Harley Electra Glide has floorboards rather than pegs. Scooter?

Probably the safest definition of a scooter is that people choose to call it one..
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    The state of Texas calls my Vespa and my wife's Xmax motorcycles. I call them scoots. I used to call my Harleys scoots, too. Is a car with an automatic transmission a different type of conveyance than a car with a manual transmission? Call 'em what you want and don't tell others what to call 'em. Ride more, pidgeon-hole less.
    CashCow and Glen e like this.
  3. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had snow on the ground and lots of salt on the roads, but, had a couple of days of heavy rain and warm temperatures. That made the snow disappear and washed the salt off the roads, and with temps in the middle forties and blue showing in the skies, it was a beautiful day for a winter ride. I went for a half hour ride that only took two hours and would have gone longer, but, the wind picked up to the white knuckle level and I headed home. I stopped on a road through the salt marshes for a pic.
    myxmax2.JPG
    I leave my bikes registered all winter just for days like this.
    ddarkone7, kpinvt, Rusty J and 4 others like this.
  4. Southcoastkayaker

Southcoastkayaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flashercam
    I’m trying to find the flashercam should be on the left hand rear under the seat. Can’t find it if anyone knows appreciate letting me know where it is
  5. yark14

yark14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I call my XMAX different things based on who I'm talking to. Here in Austin the Lime and Jump electric scooters are everywhere, so when somebody says "scooter" that is usually what they are referring to. Thus when talking to non-motorcyclists I call the XMAX a motorcycle. If I'm talking to a motorcyclist or somebody that clearly understands what the XMAX is then I'll call it a scooter.
  6. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our condo association is rewriting our bylaws. Since I ride my Vespa on the grass down to the boat docks and everyone is ok with that but they don't want teenagers tearing around on dirt bikes, they asked me how to differentiate scooters from motorcycles (and keep it simple). I said motorized two wheelers with wheel diameter 14" or less.
  7. RalphM

RalphM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That lets the Xmax out then, front is 15"
  8. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rule is close enough to be useful on an "as needed" basis. Nobody is going to be measuring wheel diameters unless there is a complaint. You riding your Xmax at 15 mph on the grass occasionally would not be a problem.
    The Virginian and Normsthename like this.
  9. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    surely you must have an access road you can use instead of riding on the grass? How long would that take, 30 seconds, 1 minute? By riding on the grass you're just brewing up problems where others will say 'well, he is doing it so why can't we'. Sitting on your xmax for a few more seconds by not riding on the grass isn't exactly an inconvenience is it?
    Bar None and minimac like this.
  10. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I assume your flashercam designation is what we call in the US a flasher module.If you are sitting on the bike it is under your left leg, tucked into the top let side, you don’t need to takeoff anything except the seat tub. The actual color plastic pieces does not need to come off. Remember the one supplied with the bike is for the halogen flashers, it won’t work with an LED bulb.

It is approximately under the M , in the chrome Xmax logo that is on the rear side of bike…

Attached Files:

11. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply I’ve got a small buzzer speaker to hook up. I was looking in the wrong spot. Don’t know why Yamaha didn’t install one and a tyre hugger. The only other way would be to hook up direct to the indicators and that would mean I need two buzzers or some diodes , they were only $1 on eBay.
  12. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hooked up a small fused waterproof speaker straight to the wires going into the flasher, it works fine.Speaker needs to be exposed to the outside, can’t be buried in the bike for you to hear it.

I spliced in the speaker, I brought the wires down inside slit loom to the airbox , and used one of the airbox exterior screws to hold it in place, therefore no destruction to the bike whatsoever. Sits on top of the airbox, can’t see it unless you’re looking, but eventually I’ll tuck it up inside the fender, still exposed to the air. It is very loud, so much so that I covered the speaker face with a piece of black vinyl wrap, sound level now is perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXLX22T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

Buspassdodger likes this.
  13. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking you have WAY too much faith in the kind of people that run condo associations/HOA's...
    Bar None likes this.
  14. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help glen I’ve pulled the plastic off can’t find the flashercam still it’s driving me nuts maybe they have changed it’s location I’m going to look at the front of the bike. The white connector is not a pigtail just a connector here’s a photo

Attached Files:

15. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:
    Ok found the flashercam for the indicators perhaps different models have changed the wiring. If you take out the right hand storage compartment, you will see some connectors and the pigtail, slip it if the rubber connector and remove the wiring clip, I have included a photo of the flashercam and the speaker bought of eBay.

I’m in Australia the wiring may be different I’m not sure if all the Xmaxs are made in Indonesia but because the USA models have different indicators the wiring is different. Thanks for your help glen I finally figured out what’s going on

Attached Files:

16. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:
    TIGHTARSE SCOOTER UPGRADES

Thought I would add these upgrades anyone can do that are easy and cheap for the xmax 300

Seat
    A extraspring total cost 50 cents for a circlip. Get some large washers and drill and file them out to just fit over the body of the gas strut. A friend gave me the spring it has to just slide over the strut.
    Bought a mesh seat cover stops the sun from deteriorating it and damage when getting on or off.

Tyre Hugger
    Really essential accessory you don’t want water and crap all over your motor. I have the plastic carbon look alike version, problem is there is no support for the rear of the hugger, where the hugger meets the air filter box roughen up the plastic and use epoxy to glue a small plastic clip it’s important to make it rough for it to hold drill a small hole in the hugger near the clip and put a cable tie through both. Don’t drill into the airbox.

Foot Rests
    You can replace the crappy rubber footrests with aluminium or marine carpet, or a mix of both

Tool Kit
    Put your toolkit under the seat tub between the plastic and frame, add extra tools and sockets now I just have a small ratchet and one socket to remove the tub

Phone holder
    Cheap USB chargers and phone holders can be bought on eBay problem is mounting them I finally bought the xmax mounting plate

Indicator Speaker
    You don’t want to be riding around with the indicator on get a $1 speaker from eBay and splice it onto the flashercam

all my parts were bought from Taobao or you can pay a bit more from ebay

Attached Files:

17. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info and pics, helpful ideas. I was wondering what you and Glen e were talking about re: the speaker. Now I understand for the turn signal. With my hearing probably couldn't hear it anyway but pretty anal about turning it off. Did you consider the Yamaha Universal Stay for the phone holder with the USB connect? I've looked at the mounting plate as well. Going to have my dealer add the fender (tyre hugger) when the bike comes in. Don't understand your seat lid mod and the pic showing rear spring.
  18. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:

The seat is very large and its weight and has the weight of the toolkit as well under it so its a good idea to relocate the toolkit. It has a small gas strut holding the seat up which is inadequate after a period of time the seat just falls down. You can add a spring to the strut to help hold the seat up or make one up yourself. There is a commercial spring and is very well made but expensive. If you can source a spring that slides over the strut and is the right length which should be longer than the strut shaft you just need 2 washers and a spring clip as there is a recess on the strut for a spring clip. I put a hose clamp on as well but it really is not doing anything the spring clip holds the washer against the spring. The spring has to be compressed when putting the washers and spring clip on which was difficult. You have to drill out the washer and file it so it just slides over the strut as there is not much area of the spring clip to hold the washer.

This is the plate I used
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcy...795379?hash=item5226a6f9b3:g:MgsAAOSwN7dc5PQ6
    I bought a usb/ cig lighter /voltmeter from ebay cheap but most of my purchases came from Taobao which is like the chinese amazon and a lot cheaper than ebay. in fact a lot of ebay stuff comes from Taobao and is resold on ebay. You need to use chrome to translate the language and open a account I recommend using sea shipping as some things will not go by air and they will not send
    it.
    The tyre hugger may break as it is not supported near the airbox and moves easily. There are a few different versions available now so they may be different. You do not want to drill through the airbox and put a bolt as the stress on the plastic may crack it. If you get some 5 minute epoxy roughen the plastic up I used a small electrical wire clip just epoxy it on near the edge of the tyre hugger let it go off for a couple of days drill a small hole in the hugger and use a electrical tie. Its nice and firm now.

I also wired up a connector to the battery to clip on a small battery charger this is just under the front of the scooter where you cant see it. I also ran some wires up to the battery and put a usb charger in the tub you need to use a connector next to the connectors for the light to remove the tub. Needless to say everything is fused.
  19. RalphM

RalphM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I to am a bit puzzled by the spring over strut, when you open the seat there is no strut in sight
    is it hidden somewhere? I have had the tub out 2 or 3 times and cant remember seeing one
    though I was not particularly looking for one. or am I reading something wrong.
  20. Southcoastkayaker

Oddometer:
    To see it you need to take the tub out it’s on the left forward of the tub it has a large metal plate attached. Some people don’t have a problem with it the way it is but some owners find the seat falls down and is a problem. Adding the spring definitely helps the strut. Personally if you are happy with it the way it is that’s fine, but if you want to upgrade it what I have done is a bit rough but you don’t see it so that’s ok the commercial spring is expensive but looks better
    RalphM likes this.