New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    very well put
    appreciate the thoughtful review
    i had SUCH a great time tonight, riding down the beach..... Clearwater to Gulfport (FL)
    a wonderful meal at Pia's
    http://www.piastrattoria.com/

loved what you said about changing your riding style
    i've had all kinds of bikes.... like you
    a HD Softail Classic
    A Suzuki GSX-R750
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R
    and... many, many BMWs
    it's time to slow down and enjoy the scenery
    i'll take the occasional long trip on the GS Adenture
    but..... my Kymco made me appreciate scooters..... the XMAX takes me EVERYWHERE i want to go while still enjoying the SCOOT LIFESTYLE
    i've been a long-time satisfied customer here at advrider.... happy scooters have their place here, too
  2. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    yeah.... THE LIGHTS
    i found out tonight (riding at night)
    the lights on the KYMCO are FAR superior to the XMAX
    NO ONE can argue that
    the HIGH BEAM doesn't even exist (a pathetic afterthought by Yamaha... SHAME ON THEM)
    this scoot needs aftermarket help
    10 watts x 2 can be handled by the 175W (i'd pay A LOT OF MONEY to switch it out for a 275W source)
    i'll find a solution soon

for the record:
    here's how I like my lights:
    [​IMG]
    kpinvt likes this.
  3. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    found this video this morning
    on YouTube.... of the 2020:
  4. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been riding my XMAX home after work every evening in the dark and recently in the dark in the rain. I find the lights on the XMAX to be amazing especially compared to my Honda NT700V. With the dual low beams the high beam is not as noticeable but on a dark road you can clearly see it projecting out past the low beams. I guess with the XMAX everyone seems to have a different impression on various features and performance attributes especially as it compares to what they were last riding.
  5. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The Xmax fold increased by one yesterday.

Russ, the leader of the 7 Bridges Scooter Club bought a new 2020.

He has been a loyal Vespa owner, but the club has become mostly maxi scooters.

I will be interested to hear his impressions.

Bill
  6. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your point
    maybe the spread of the low beam is better on the Yamaha
    but the high beam on the Kymco is very superior
    of course, Yamaha comes from the standpoint of their sport bikes.... The constant marketplace habit and not just of them of having one bowl for the high beam and one for the low because it is a look
    sport bike manufacturers don't care about seeing down the road for obvious reasons, and somehow that is translated a little bit into their scooter lineup... I just wish there was larger left over power for other options. Because I work all day, like most of us do to pay for my toys and so I write a lot at night...
    I appreciate your reply here very much
  7. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    This is wonderful news
    I will look forward to that as well
  8. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case it sounds like I think the XMAX is flawless I don't. Here are a few things I find annoying.

1) 24 Hour Clock. Most of the motorcycles I have had let you choose a 12 or 24 hour clock.
    2) A speedometer that is accurate would be nice. Mine is off by 5 mph so at least its an easy calculation.
    3) Handlebar mirrors that capture your shoulder in 1/3 of it. At least they are close to you and easy to adjust and a good place to easily mount your cell phone.
    4) 31.3" seat height. For something that is sold a lot in Asia you would think it would be shorter.
    5) Limited tire choices as compared to what is available for most motorcycles. At least City Grips seem to be a good choice.
    6) Limited dealer network. My Yamaha dealer was happy to order my XMAX for me but I doubt if he carries any parts and who knows if his mechanics have any idea how to service one. Plan on doing all my own service work.
    7) Color choice. With a low volume model I see why multiple choices are not available but something more interesting than white, black and gray would have been nice.
    8) Barely adequate windscreen but that's not much different than most scooters or motorcycles. At least it has two positions.
    9) Limited parts and accessories available in the US.
    10) No rear tire inner fender. When riding in the rain the rear tire throws water everywhere.

As I said these things are just annoying. Most are relativity easy to correct or live with.
    kpinvt and FreewheelBurning like this.
  9. crawfcj

crawfcj n00b

Oddometer:
    I just sold my PCX150 and purchased an XMAX300 in November. Other than the weight, the XMAX is superior in all ways. Great brakes, very fast and quick off the line. I loved my PCX and thought I would keep it for life! But then came the XMAX! The concerns you listed may be dismissed. Good luck in your shopping. If you liked the PCX150, you will love the XMAX.
    kpinvt and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  10. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only find one area that is not lit well. I traveled interstate for a few hours at 3am in the morning last year with no urban lights whatsoever (alligator alley). The headlight (IMO) for me does not spread wide, and I had dark areas in front of the bike off to each side, 3-5 feet in front of bike. A set of LED 60 degree floods solved that. Also illuminates the area when you turn better.

Wdoney - spot on list....surprising that the Yamaha will not let you set a 12 hour clock. That seems so basic in programming and operation. I don’t know another bike that does that in the US.
    kpinvt likes this.
  11. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "We sold her PCX last month; as good as it is, it wasn't getting ridden since she got the Xmax. Once you get used to the relative size difference, the Xmax is more powerful on every front: it accelerates faster, a higher top end, and the brakes are great. Of course, the same is true with her Xmax vs my Vespa... 15% more weight, almost 25% more HP."

"I just sold my PCX150 and purchased an XMAX300 in November. Other than the weight, the XMAX is superior in all ways. Great brakes, very fast and quick off the line. I loved my PCX and thought I would keep it for life! But then came the XMAX!"

Yes, there is something about the (near) 30hp range that is SOOOO satisfying! Those times you wished you had just a little more power/acceleration/topend? They become substantially fewer. And the 300cc class bikes aren't all that heavy... usually about 400lbs. For me, it's the sweet spot of scooters. They are small enough to still be kinda small and quick, and come with enough top end to take anywhere. You never feel like you are holding up traffic.
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sat on my buddy's 300 yesterday, again. Then I picked up some small wood pieces to lay on the floorboards to lessen the angle of the forward position. By then, the hump in the seat was against my butt. I would have to angle the floorboards and reshape the seat to be able to ride one.
    I'll have to wait for better weather before I can actually ride it. Oh, well.
  13. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a nice ride down the eastern FL coast for a bit today, and on the way back I rode about 10 miles on the interstate. Traffic was hauling ass, so I decided to see what the Xmax would do now that it has several thousand miles on it and is loosened up. On flat ground I topped out at 97 on the speedo, 90 on the GPS. Quite respectable for less than 300 cc’s!
    CashCow, Tromper, kpinvt and 3 others like this.
  14. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I have an appointment for 9 AM (EST/USA)... to have my backup key fob programmed
    but, also to have a powerlet socket installed
    and..... also, to check the brakes to make sure that all lis well
    i will report back (with more pictures) tomorrow afternoon
    thanks for everything
    rdhood and Ivabign like this.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    That is faster than mine.

While I hit GPS 93 mph once, downhill, downwind, in a draft, in a tuck, The usual top speed in neutral conditions is between 82 and 85 mph.

I have had some long interstate highway days, two over 700 miles, and usually run between 75 and 80 mph.

The Xmax is great at those speeds, running well with the usual traffic.

But the fuel mileage drops into the 50’s mpg.

Still, it is a great touring bike.

Bill
    CaptnJim, minimac and Bueller like this.
  16. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the new key programmed. One picture from this morning 20200118_080841-02.jpeg
  17. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice but I'm jealous, 24 degrees here and not looking like anything above 50 till at least Feb. 350 miles and that's where it will stay for awhile. Skiing for 10 days in Feb., hopefully warmer when I return.
  18. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a good wall paper screen shot .
    I like how the gold color of the wheels fits in with the golden color of the sun bouncing off the saw grass on the other side of the pond.
    Very relaxing. :-)
    RalphM likes this.
  19. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    they were able to program the key fob
    powerlet port installed

a few more observations:
    1. of course the brakes are getting better all the time but I still might entertain an upgrade in the future
    2. over 80 miles per gallon so far even with a brand-new motor which is unbelievable and a testament to this particular engine technology
    3. the speedometer inaccuracy is still ridiculous but who cares
    4. the bike is accurately (by something far more than just the LCD display) charging at 13.2 to 13.4 V at idle and 13.9 to 14.0 V at 5500 RPM (that is a full volt less than the accurately measured Kymco Like 150i charges) FWIW, of course
    .... this is with the low beam on only and nothing else charging or attached to the bike
    5. there really is no way to keep this thing at 4500 RPM or below during break-in (but, I'm being respectful to the XMAX... don't worry)
    6. it has a wonderful "presence" on the road to also include the ability to trip every traffic light which the Kymco seems (hit-and-miss) on occasion

loving every moment
    can't wait to take a good length trip soon
    thanks to all of you for the encouragement

by the way.... running WAZE on the left phone.... GPS Test Plus on the middle phone for accurate speed and compass and "fairly accurate" elevation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and... please forgive the poetic license"
    [​IMG]
  20. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple questions: where did they install powerlet port? I presume this can be used for trickle charging as well? Does the center phone holder front of windshield bracket prevent the windshield being moved into its top position? Some of them do. What are you using the 12V in left box for? Looking good.