New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    honestly, I wanted switched power but they looked at directly to the battery so yes I guess you can use it for a trickle charger but I have to remember things are plugged into it so as not to drain the battery when it is off

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDUXPCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only use powerlet and never a 12 V socket because as you know the former has a positive click and never pushes out with vibration on the road which is something that always happens with 12 V sockets which were poorly designed 70 years ago and never improved

[​IMG]
  2. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    by the way,
    the reason why I had it mounted there is because the powered phone I am using will always be mounted on the handlebars and I wanted a static install this would not work to power the second phone in the middle used for GPS I put a larger battery on my phone and when it is dim it will last at least 12 hours and doesn't need a power supply
  3. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    By the way, what adjustable brake levers have you put on your x max? How difficult was that to accomplish? Sorry to ask that pedestrian question
  4. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  5. Introspective

Introspective n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new X-max owner, having recently purchased a 2nd hand 2017 X-max with 4500kms on the clock. I'm actually a new motorcycle rider as well, having passed my licence 4 weeks ago :)

I've been lurking here for about 6 weeks absorbing as much information as possible.

I want to buy a couple of accessories and need some help/advice please.

When I bought the X-max I had the genuine 39L Yamaha top box installed. To my absolute joy (and surprise) my 11 year old son has expressed an interest in riding pillion with me. He said sometimes his back hits up against the top box so I have ordered the genuine top box back rest. Has anyone fitted one of these before? I am unsure how it gets installed onto the top box. Is it just double sided tap or something?

Also, I am not a huge fan of the way the X-max mirrors stick out a little more than the handle bars. I am always concerned that I will hit a car's mirror when lane filtering at traffic lights.

Edit for clarification: What I mean by the above is that the mirrors are at the same height as car mirrors so I feel that they are sticking out further that the handlebars. I want to purchase some mirrors that bring them back in towards the bike.

I want to purchase new mirrors but am unsure of the correct fittings to get for the X-max. Here are the 2 mirrors I am considering:

https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/part...eel-motorcycle-mirrors-black-universal-detail

https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/mirr...m-motorcycle-mirrors-black-universal-1-detail

Do I need to get the ones with "10mm for metric bike" or the "8mm for scooter"? I think I read that the X-max has standard 10mm but would like to be 100% sure before ordering.

Any opinions on the mirrors? I am thinking of going for the first one that I listed.

Thanks so much in advance.
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  6. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    thank you so much for that suggestion. I also appreciate the link. Can I ask? Is it that hard to install them?
  7. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Simple, one bolt removal....2 min per side, 7or 8 mm wrench
  8. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much and I apologize my very stupid question
    I have ordered them and again I appreciate your help
  9. m125358

m125358 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Xmax forum,

TL;DR
    Awesome day of scooting around both coasts of Florida! Xmax performed flawlessly.

This might be a more appropriate post for the "Day Trippin" forum, but wanted to share my experience with you all first.

Fiance is out of town this weekend, so I figured I would take a long-ish ride on the Xmax to see some sights around Florida that I had been putting off for too long.

Prep and planning:
    Fairly minimal. Checked the weather for Jacksonville and Crystal River the night before and saw highs in the 70s and no rain in the forecast. Plugged in a route on Google maps with "avoid highways" selected and then just added a few stops in-between Jacksonville and Crystal River to try to push the route to some smaller back roads.
    Screenshot_20200119-103823~2.png
    I had three goals for the excursion:
    1. See the gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic in the same day.
    2. See some manatees in the clear waters of Three Sisters Springs.
    3. Try to hit as many of the best motorcycling roads as I can while still making it home by dusk.

Yesterday I hit the road just after 6am. Outside temp on the Max was reading 52 degrees. As I pulled onto A1A (the coastal road that runs right along the Atlantic in FL) my tall Givi windscreen immediately fogged up due to the salty air. Got pretty tough to see through after about ten minutes of riding (it does a great job blocking the wind and rain, but is too tall for me to see over). After pulling over to wipe it down with a microfiber cloth (which would be a recurring theme all morning) I was back on my way.

The first hour of the ride was in the dark, and I paid attention to the stock illumination that both the high and low beams were throwing out, since it has been a topic here. On an unlit back road, I would say the low beams are just fine for about 35mph, and high beams up to 45-50. Beyond those spreads and absent any road/aux lighting, I wouldn't feel safe- not enough time to react to something coming out of the dark.

The sun came up just as I was crossing the bridge over the St. Johns River into Greencove Springs. Absolutely beautiful with the high cloud layer turning pink and orange over the water, with a layer of water vapor hanging just above the surface. Once I crossed the river, it started getting COLD as I made my way toward the town of Keystone Heights. Max was reading 43 degrees and my 70 degree gear was not cutting it! After warming up in a Dunkin Donuts with a hot coffee for about a half hour, I decided to overcome my discomfort and push on.

I'm glad I did, because as soon as the sun came up fully, it started warming up quickly. It was 65 by the time I passed through Gainesville. The college town seemed sleepy and slow- most of the students are probably gone for the long weekend (or still asleep!)

At this point, I had been riding for about 2.5 hours and had ZERO discomfort. The stock seat on the Max provided plenty of room to move around, and I experimented with different positions for my feet on the running boards, which moved my butt to various parts of the seat. Additionally, once it warmed up, my Givi screen stopped fogging up and did a fantastic job keeping the wind off my body, face, and hands.

From Gainesville, I pushed on to Crystal River. Absolutely gorgeous riding between the two towns! There is something about being out in nature, smelling the fresh air, enjoying all the trees passing by that is very cathartic and peaceful. I was in the zone, and didn't stop for any pictures.

Once in Crystal River, I made for the Ozello Trail, which is commonly voted as one of (if not THE) best motorcycling roads in the state. I had never ridden it before so I did it in it's entirety. The road is a little two-lane that snakes through marshes and mangroves as it winds towards the gulf coast. The max handled all the turns with planted poise, and I was pleased with the engines response rolling on the throttle out of the turns. In my opinion, the Xmax has the perfect amount of engine braking for this type of riding.

The view from the end wasn't that great, but the payoff was in the ride itself. IMG_20200118_103239.jpg
    Obviously, this view was not going to suffice if I was going to call goal #1 accomplished... So onward to find a beach with some gulf views. Weaving back the same way I came on the Ozello Trail, I observed that while this road is certainly the curviest road I had ridden in Florida, and did have great scenery, that I don't think it is the "best motorcycle ride in Florida". It's just too short to really zen out - by the time I was finding my happy place, the ride was over.

I found another winding road and scooted out to West Fort Island and my horizon view.
    IMG_20200118_111219.jpg

Check that off the list- now on to see some Manatees. A short 10 minute scoot later and I was walking into Three Sisters Springs. Central Florida has a multitude of stunningly clear fresh-water springs, and their beauty cannot be put into words. It is simply something you need to see for yourself.
    IMG_20200118_115156.jpg
    Tough to see in the picture, but there are two manatees just above the spring vent. The water was so clear it looked like they were floating in space. What a life!
    IMG_20200118_114752.jpg
    Goal #2 complete.
    On a downer note, don't let the pics fool you... This place was jam packed with tourists. But what can you expect on a nice Saturday during a holiday weekend? I will have to come back and actually snorkel the spring when it is less crowded.

At this point, it was around 12:30, so I started scooting back towards home. Had lunch in The Villages, which is a massive retirement community in central Florida. The max continued to perform flawlessly, and I got up to 95 indicated (88 GPS). I think the tall windscreen actually helps my top speed a little. One thing I have noticed is that the Xmax motor will pull right up to the top speed of the bike. I found passing on two lane roads to be a breeze. There were a ton of other bikers out, and everyone seemed to be in great spirits... Lots of waves. I waved at everyone, and I mostly got waves returned. The Xmax looks like a sport bike from the front haha.

After lunch, I rode home through Woods and Lakes (a town which time has forgotten) and the Ocala National Forest. Stopped for gas in Palatka, crossed the St. Johns again, and headed for the Atlantic via International Golf Parkway. There is a 1 mile section of that road just east of I-95 that has a spectacular tree canopy... I felt like I was scooting through a rain forest.

I eventually made it back to A1A and took it up the Atlantic coast back home. Had to stop to get a view of the ocean to complete the second half of goal #1.
    IMG_20200119_092747.jpg

Overall, the Xmax returned 70.5 mpg for the trip, and I averaged 45mph, including times the bike was stopped with the engine running. I had zero issues whatsoever and returned to my house after 11 hours of riding feeling like I could have ridden another 11.

I would call goal #3 complete. I got to ride A1A, CR13 along the St. John's, the Ozello Trail, the Ocala National Forest, and several other beautiful roads in between. Days like yesterday make me realize why I love scooting so much. What an opportunity to get out of town, explore part of my state I had never seen before, and generally decompress.

I will certainly be taking many more adventures on my Xmax!
  10. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new-to-you bike and welcome to the forum. Battle Scooters is one the best group of riders I've seen anywhere on the internet. Now you have about 4100 posts to read to get up to speed.
  11. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    "When I bought the X-max I had the genuine 39L Yamaha top box installed. To my absolute joy (and surprise) my 11 year old son has expressed an interest in riding pillion with me. He said sometimes his back hits up against the top box so I have ordered the genuine top box back rest. Has anyone fitted one of these before? I am unsure how it gets installed onto the top box. Is it just double sided tap or something?"

The problem with most Top Box back rest cushions is they are too high and can be uncomfortable. The cushion should be at the small of the back. Some sort of pillow might be more comfortable. I wouldn't spend the money on a back rest cushion.
  12. Glen e

Oddometer:
    That was really a nice run. I routinely make a run from Fort Lauderdale up through the center of the state over to the West Coast and stay with a friend in Sarasota. The ride is mostly dull, with nothing but sugarcane and prisons, in the middle of the state. And during the summer it bakes…but due to hurricanes, the roads are recently resurfaced, with some really long, great sweepers west of the lake.....
  13. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Should you want company on your future rides, please let me know.

I have ridden all of those roads many times, but never gone to the springs in Crystal Springs.

There is much to see in the area and having another adventurous rider so close to me in Jacksonville could be a good thing.

Bill

IMG_0530.JPG
    Max at a restaurant in Suwannee on a recent ride to the Gulf.
  14. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. mine is just a week and a half old and it's not possible to stay below 4500 RPM whatsoever so I will ease it Into where it should be. If I want to discover that would only go 40 miles an hour for 600 I would have bought a 49cc variety. The break-in requirements for this particular scooter is ridiculous... And I'm pretty sure that not a single person has ever followed it but nobody wants to write that down here because of warranty purposes. That's one of the reasons I paid for a full no deductible 5 year warranty.Enjoy every mile. It is a wonderful piece of engineering and I can't wait to be on top of the saddle for many, many years to come. Please post some pictures as soon as possible
  15. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Trust me you do not have to religiously adhere to the break-in amount of 4500 if you just behave yourself. Breakin should just be staying away from extremes;meaning don’t lug the engine or don’t rabbit it at 8000 RPM for a long period of time. Very easy to let the engine do what it wants with the CVT.
  16. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Superb review above and love that Jacksonville to Crystal River and Ozello trail ride
    would love to have met you on the western edge of where you were
    nice and she saw the manatees... most people know that in that famous book 1001 things to do before you die it lists up there very high... everyone should see manatees
    I hope you will go back and snorkel soon

funny you mentioned about the sport bike aspect of the front end of the XMAX and why I get so many waves on it as well compared to my Kymco
    time for the Florida people to get together
    I hope that will happen soon
    thanks for sharing with us
  17. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    this is exactly right
    just break it in without listing the specifics here if you're worried about lawyers watching
    nobody on earth would ever ride his or her scooter like this 43 mph for 600 miles
    and no one ever has or will
    I want to say that THIS break-in requirement was written by attorneys but I'm pretty sure it was written by a 7 year old who lives out in the middle of the field who has never had any knowledge of an internal combustion engine
    change the oil at 600 miles and then 2000 km increments forever and you will never have a problem
    oil is cheap and changing it is easy
    Yamaha built a fine piece of equipment in the XMAX 300 and I'm proud to own one as well
    can't wait to hear more about your travels
  18. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    stick to what it states in the owners manual and you won't have a problem. Yamaha designed, built and extensively tested not only the engine but also the rest of the bike, so they will know more than anyone else what's good for maintenance. Doing what 'you think' should be done is a total waste of money, time and added pollution to the environment by doing pointless early oil changes.
    fm13, Wdoney, shoeb and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neither have I. Sounds like a reason for a day trip :deal
    CashCow likes this.
  20. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    let's just get back to posting stories about our travels with pictures and leave alone the argument about the right or wrong way to break in an engine because nobody needs that here there have been too many threats just like that and let's not make this one go down that one way road to ruin.
    S/W likes this.