New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dbeth

dbeth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What octane fuel are people using on the XMax? I've been using 91 or 92, but understand it will use 87 just fine. Which is better for the engine or mileage?
  2. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife recently bought a new Honda CRV with Honda Sensing. It is pretty amazing stuff and I am sure will pretty soon be standard in most cars. Some of the higher end motorcycles are also incorporating many of the safety and convenience features as well. Over time they will trickle down to the less expensive scooters and motorcycles. Frankly I was surprised the XMAX came with traction control as a standard feature.
  3. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using 87 which I think is what Yamaha recommends. No advantage that I can see to using a higher octane. Some will claim all kinds of advantages to using premium but none have been proven from what I have read when used in an engine designed for regular.
  4. crazygordon297

crazygordon297 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use rec 90 only because I don't ride it often. It's good for marine outboard and can't hurt. I had a Chinese 150 cc scooter that had some problems and I think it's because I didn't use it often enough. One gallon would last around two months therefore the fuel turned into some water.
  5. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is debated on every car forum I’ve ever been on ad infinitum, much like when to change the oil or what wax to use...LOL. I agree, use the octane that the manufacturer recommends, because that’s the way they build the engine and calibrate it. Google the question and read for days.

exception: If I was going to store the bike for a couple months.I’d use 91/93... Because 87 octane does degrade quickly. According to Sunoco website, 87 starts to degrade after three months, 91 grade lasts for nine months. Rec 90 non-ethanol is a perfect choice. So I would use it when I put it away.
  6. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Exactly ....when BMW came out with active cruise control in 2002 on their 740i, the option was $2500 bucks. Just for that. Now Honda makes it standard on most of their mid level trims, even down to the civic.
  7. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to remember how much BMW marks things up. As an example, a BMW CVT belt for a 650 GT scooter is priced at $388.64 retail. You can buy the exact same belt from Europe for around $100 bucks and shipping isn't that much.
  8. Glen e

Oddometer:
    Parts prices are not the point. Yes Bmw inflates their pricing, I would never own one out of warranty, Too expensive. The point is most features come into the marketplace with a tremendous cost because there’s no economies of scale, once they ramp up, things get cheap. ABS Was a huge cost on cars when it came out, and it was an option. Now it’s standard on every econobox that comes out of the Pacific rim.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  9. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cruise control was invented in 1948 and even in the Seventies you could get a kit for a couple hundred bucks and now the kits aren't much more. Today it is electronic throttle control that makes it cheaper to add as most of the parts are all ready there. There were never a lot of parts to cruise control , even the old vacuum systems had only a few parts , it's hard to use the economy of scale in this case, the technology has been around for a good while. Bikes without electronic throttle control will not see cruise control anytime soon. Of course you can get a throttle lock for that will hold the throttle for down to around 30 bucks, I had one, but, now that I have real cruise control on one of my bikes, that's what I want !!
    Ivabign likes this.
  10. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    you are correct about that I had 11 BMW I always bought the extended warranty but as to your comment about ABS it's available on every model because it's the law across the Earth you can't sell a car without ABS now
  11. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do these provide any mechanical advantage? I have an 8.5" hand size and relatively strong. Wondering what advantages might be of changing the pull distance or lever length. There seem to be several brands out there.
  12. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do not provide any additional leverage as they do not extend out any further than the stock levers. The main purpose of these levers is to be able to adjust them closer to the bars for those with short fingers. You can also adjust the length if you like a shorter lever. If the stock levers fit you and your style the adjustable levers bring little value. They do have a hinge in them to help prevent breakage in a fall which is an interesting feature. I have a similar set but did not like them and put the stock levers back on.
  13. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good feedback, thnx
  14. Mr:River

Mr:River n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, would anyone have link manual service Xmax 250/300 year 2018 to 2020?
    Download via pdf.
    Thanks
  15. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aye, very interesting when they fold up out the way when you go to grab them for an emergency stop.
  16. Glen e

Oddometer:
    There is a 4mm nut you can tighten if you dont want them to fold.....There is no advantage to these type levers if the stock levers are close enough to your hand and it’s comfortable. I like them pulled in 3 to 4 mm, closer to the bar. Easier to pull with my hand.
  17. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the manual on PDF. I do not have a place to host it, but if you have somewhere I can upload it to.... I will do that for you.

The PDF is 153megs
  18. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The levers I bought have a spring and ball detent in the hinge to prevent them folding up due to your going over a bump etc. It takes a little force to get them to fold.
  19. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    ismatts, was able to upload the pdf to my dropbox. Thanks!

If anyone would like a copy msg me and I'll send you a dropbox link

I will leave this available for a few days then reclaim the space.
    hdamok, minimac and ismatts like this.
  20. Mr:River

Mr:River n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap

rivellycius@gmail.com

:-)
    ismatts likes this.