1. eNewsletter Sign Up

New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm 57 years of age
    i was promised the METRIC SYSTEM of WEIGHTS AND MEASURES.... by the end of 4th grade... (May of 1972)... here in the United States
    somehow, that STILL hasn't worked out :shog
    FreewheelBurning, rdhood and Tromper like this.
  2. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do recall that as well. Still if you look around all the vehicles I've worked on in the last decade or so are at worst a mixture of SAE & metric.
    It's happening, just taking longer due to Luddites and egos.
    Personally I don't care what the measurement is. I can divide by 12 or 10.. What I would like is for us all to use the same ones, so go metric cuz that's what most the world is.

ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  3. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's interesting that the clocks are so far off. In 1761 John Harrison built a Marine clock ( large watch) that was good for about .06 seconds error a day. Marine clocks were harder to design due to the motion of the ship. His "Long " clocks ( land based ) were good for about a second a month. Yamaha needs to try harder !!

BTW, Having been a mechanic most of my life, I always preferred the Metric System, as it was always easier to think in "metric" and to pick the next wrench size after finding the one in your hand was wrong. And, Yes, today there is an annoying mix of the two measurement systems in my work. I frequently have metric and standard wrenches on my bench to work in one mechanism. I wish for metric.
    Alexander B and Tromper like this.
  4. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clocks aren't "off". One or two might have an issue but the vast majority don't. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and has always been perfectly accurate.
  5. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why did you think I was talking about your clock ? Rhetorical question.

BTW, mine is a little off too.
  6. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmmWeird that Yamaha uses a 12 hour clock on the Smax but not the Xmax
    Glen e likes this.
  7. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yawn.
  8. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL
  9. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone can help me. My 12000 mile service will be due within the next week and I am looking at changing out the rollers to the tech pulley and the sliders to dr pulley.

I’ve decided on the 15g tech pulleys but I’m struggling to find the sizing for the sliders. Any one have an idea on the sizes for them?

many thanks in advance.
  10. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response Glen e, I think there is a miscommunication as I will be putting the techpulley flying rollers in, I am looking for the sliding pieces (horse shoes) that fit into the back of the variator plate.

With the tech pulleys did they come with them or were they ordered separately and what size are they.

many thanks

mark
  12. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have replaced rollers and sliders a lot - in 3 scooters, and never replaced those little horse shoe pieces, I’ve always just used the stock ones in the variatior.
  13. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock sliders should be fine if you are just replacing the rollers. They act as a bearing surface for the cam plate, and will wear and rattle when worn and could cause rough operation of the CVT.
  14. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for the information. Ive had my xmax 300 since march after having two mp3s which i maintained myself. When doing the dr pulley sliders upgrade for them members of the modernvespa forum recommended changing the sliding pieces as well. I have opted for the 16g TechPulley flying rollers as the dr pulley website are selling these now and recommend going down 5-10% in weight from the original rollers.

Having seen videos on YouTube of the air filter replacement, i know the sub air filter is dry but is this the same case for the main air filter. None of them show oiling the filter in the videos and again coming from servicing my mp3 where you oiled the filter I wouldn’t want to cause damage.

I hope I don’t come across coming a little stupid in asking these questions but I am a little concerned about sending my bike to the dealer for its service after speaking to them about what they would do and cost. Having read the workshop manual and what work is done on the 12000m service, I can’t justify paying £350 for just the roller, belt and oil change they have stated that will be all it needs.

This obviously contradicts the workshop manual and I’d rather do the majority of the work myself having worked on my mp3s and and done some mods to my xmax. Unfortunately having heard horror stories from my uncle who has been a mechanic for 40years + about shoddy work in dealerships and them not actually replacing parts I’d rather have the state of mind the work has actually been done even though it maybe half a day/day taken to do the work.
    Salth2ofish, Wdoney and DandyDoug like this.
  15. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I looked up the xmax belt case filter one time and it was a paper element. Definitely would not want to oil that.
    My Tmax had two paper elements fot the cvt, and that case wad spotless inside at 25k miles.
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 paper filters (one for v-belt, the other the main airbox) for the Xmax 300 and one foam one. Both paper elements do not need oiling, the foam one comes already oiled. Changed mine a couple of times already, very easy.
  17. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m guessing the belt case one would be classed as the sub air filter is the belt case filter but I was unsure on the other. Thank you kaertner as I had a funny feeling it might be but would rather ask here first as people here generally here are more knowledgeable on the bike than most dealership mechanics.

That’s a big statement to say but after having a mp3 and the outrageous prices they used to charge it was better to fix your bike yourself to know it was done than put it through a dealer.

The only thing would be I wouldn’t get a stamp on the service book that can reflect if I was to sell it on which I don’t see happening within the next couple of years but for peace of mind for myself I know it’s done properly.
  18. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a follow on question. I‘ve pretty much ordered everything for the service just the gear oil left, would both of these be ok to use or could someone recommend me one.

Thanks in advance

50BA5DF6-BE2F-4629-A3FE-BD1BB8B42298.jpeg 649916BB-E075-4214-A191-C4A885BA196B.jpeg
  19. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as the viscosity and ratings are as specified in the User Manual then any should be ok.

From the User Manual:

Motor oil SAE 10W-30 type SE or higher or
    Gear oil SAE 85W GL-3

So, as long as the 'SE' or 'SF..' is specified on the first one or the 'GL-3' is specified on the second one. I use Silkolene Gear oil 80W-90 GL-3.
  20. Mcgeever87

Mcgeever87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you kaertner, the silkolene medium gear oil SAE 85 states it is for api GL3 and GL4 so i am guessing that will be ok to use. I take it you use the light gear oil.