New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. workerB

workerB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't want to mess with the abs. Interesting article.
  2. versysrider

versysrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn’t mean to bring up the whole break in thing again, it’s just what I do. I probably shouldn’t mention in this crowd that I bounced my FZ-09 off the rev limiter doing a second gear wheelie in the first 20 minutes of break in. Although I changed the oil and filter when I got home. Called the break in good, and rode it like I normally ride from then on. Doesn’t use oil, runs perfectly, has around 12,000 miles on it. The worst thing you can do in my opinion is to run an engine hard before fully warmed up. And I never warm an engine up sitting in the driveway, just drive gently until it’s fully up to temp.

thanks @ Clearwater, wish we had some of those Florida temps.

@ Wdoney, electro plated cylinders such as Nikasil, as Glen said, has been around a while. Nikasil was the first trademarked name I’d heard of but has been around since I was a kid (the 60’s/70’s). Nowadays I think the only vehicles/things I own that have a cylinder & liner would be my lawnmowers, generator, and pressure washer.
    workerB likes this.
  3. workerB

workerB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, if you have a Toyota camry, highlander, or rav4, you likely have cylinders with cast iron sleeves.
  4. Pete-Rock

Pete-Rock n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Xmax family! I hope all is well especially going through this CoronaVirus crap....
    I have a new 2020 Xmax 300 and love it!
    I got tons of questions but wanted to send my hellos first from Orlando, Florida! It’s my first post so testing this all out... :-)

Attached Files:

5. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful machine !!!!
    Pete-Rock likes this.
  6. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the forum.
    Pete-Rock likes this.
  7. workerB

workerB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Pete!
    Pete-Rock likes this.
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I'm calling BullShit on that! Designed by law,, for safety reasons !! Really??
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    My wife's Xmax seems to be about 10% off on the speedometer. My Vespa is more like 12%. Both Honda PCXes we had were right on up to 60mph, about 1mph off after that. Honda CR-V is right on - the speedo always matches the GPS. GMC Sierra HD is right on. The bikes I had before the PCX were 1 or 2mph off. Same with our previous cars, trucks, motorhomes, except for one Ford van. I think some manufacturers allow an optimistic speedometer to make the owner feel better about "the performance." With current technology, there is no reason for the error. I have never seen anything written anywhere (except rumors) that the speedo error is for safety reasons.
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    European Union law (ECE-R39) states that a vehicles speedometer cannot under read at any speed but can over read by 10% + 4kmh but no more. That's is why European manufacturers and any vehicle with EU type-approval (including imported vehicles into the EU) set the speedometers of their vehicles higher than the real time speed, usually in the middle of the accepted range. This is also a safety issue as it deters drivers from exceeding national speed limits in most circumstances.

All you have to do is drive anywhere in Europe, say in a built up area and nearly everyone will stick to a 50kmh limit as stated on their speedometer when in fact they'll really be traveling at 45-48kmh, mission accomplished. Additionally, who cares if you're travelling at 100km in reality when your speedometer is reading 108kmh? Over analysis of a pointless 'issue' in the real world.
    BigBaloo likes this.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    thank you for your personal experience
    i really appreciate it
  12. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    i've owned many
    NONE are as purposefully inaccurate as the XMAX 300
    Alexander B likes this.
  13. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    it's, quite frankly, ridiculous
    and THAT'S why i have 2 different phones with the one on the right showing GPS-accurate speed

[​IMG]
    kpinvt likes this.
  14. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    i'm glad to hear that the inaccuracy of the speedo has NOT "infiltrated" that of the odometer
    thank you for replying here
    workerB likes this.
  15. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    i know what you are saying
    by the way... THERE IS NO LAW that says that
    my 2020 hyundai palisade is 100% accurate
    so is my wife's 2019 acura rdx
    even my daughter's 2009 hyundai santa fe is 100% on the money with accuracy
    in fact... my cars have always been
    i've owned 9 bmw motorcycles.... many years ago they were 4-6% "optimistic" but the new ones are COMPLETELY ACCURATE

the truth is having the speedo INACCURATE is an UNNECESSARY distraction while riding and trying to maintain a speed in any zone
    yamaha needs to fix that

by the way... my kymco like.... is 100% accurate
    so... i think the point is clearly made
    m125358 and rdhood like this.
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have to agree to disagree, IMO it's a non-issue, running 4 or 5kmh under the posted speed is very low on my priority list of riding a bike and never, ever bothered me.
  17. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha has always had the reputation for having an 'optimistic' speedometer. It's been widely known for years. Below 40, mine(all 3 of them) are off by maybe 1mph. At a GPS 60 mph they're off by approx. 10%. If it really bothers someone, there are various speedometer healers available. Strangely though, the Yammers odometers are just about spot on.
  18. workerB

workerB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I have read that more motorbike collisions/accidents are with objects in front of the bike rather than behind. However, I just got my first road bike last summer. It was a bit unnerving first time I had it on the interstate highway, unaware of speedo issue, everybody passing me while I thought I was doing 70 mph. Still, I m really liking this new xmax!
    beRto. and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  19. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll just leave this here: A $12 bicycle speedo purchased at your local Wally-world can be made to be almost perfectly accurate. There is no reason why a scooter shouldn't be.
    ClearwaterBMW and workerB like this.
  20. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    it's pure stupidity they are doing this
    no other manufacturer does it
    no more euro-excuses of saving speeding tickets
    JUST GIVE US THE ACCURATE SPEED LIKE EVERY OTHER SCOOTER/MOTORCYCLE/CAR/BUS/TRUCK/VAN/MOTORHOME ON EARTH
    wake up yamaha and fix this issue