New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that if I toggle to average speed while holding a steady speed, the first speed given will match my GPS.

That speed is approximately 10% lower than the optimistic speedometer is reading.

I have gotten used to speedometers being seriously inaccurate. The Vespas are equally bad.

On long trips, I always have a GPS mounted, and use that as my speedometer.

When I don't have it, I just ride my usual ride, checking the speedometer occasionally, using my brain to calculate the inaccuracy.

No tickets in many miles of riding fast.

Bill
    kpinvt, CaptnJim, Wdoney and 3 others like this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's a odd forced phenomenon
    time for them to fix this issue
    just crazy
  3. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every motorcycle and the few scooters I have owned have a speedometer , I look at them occasionally.
    Normally I just go with the flow of traffic or slightly above their rate of travel.
    Very few speeding tickets , after I got rid of the radar detector I used to use.
    workerB and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  4. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    you're entirely correct, of course
    but, it's a matter of principle at this point
    i mean... what if they just "half-assed" the fuel injection.... and gave it the same "degree of precision" as they do the speedometer?
    :jack
  5. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is anything for them to "fix". They could make it dead on accurate if they wanted. For whatever reason they have "chosen" not to. Since the XMAX was not designed for the US market I suspect the reasoning is found elsewhere.
    workerB, CaptnJim and Bueller like this.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can fixate on the speedo inaccuracy to whatever degree you wish, or not. I have checked mine up up to 97 mph indicated, which was 90 gps - as fast as my Xmax will go. That’s the worst it ever gets, which is better than the multitude of other motorcycles and scooters I’ve owned (56 in total). My BV350 reads 100 at 90-91 gps.

Yamaha will do nothing about this. 99% of Xmax owners won’t really care. It does not affect safety or performance. Once you know 65 = 60 or so, what’s the difference?
    Wambo and CaptnJim like this.
  7. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, mine is off by about 5 mph at most speeds. I am not a mathematician but I have figured out how to make that calculation pretty quickly :)
  8. Pete-Rock

Pete-Rock n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m soon hit my first 600 miles on my 2020 Xmax and due to the coronavirus here in Orlando Florida my dealership is closed for servicing. I replaced my oil myself @ 300 miles for proper measure but I wanted to have my Scooter maintenance logged with the Yamaha dealership for the first 600 mile service. Has anyone done their own 600 mile service and if so what did it consist of?
  9. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The maintenance schedule in the manual lays out the 600 mile service. About the only thing you cannot do yourself is the computer check the dealer performs to show codes. Likely there will not be any issues there but you can do that later. YouTube shows how to change oil/fltr for engine and rear drive. Oil change light will come on at about 620 miles or 1,000 km. Reset oil light is also in manual. Keep receipts for oil and filter to document you did the work.
    workerB likes this.
  10. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's no big deal on any scooter, really, but it's just such a simple thing to make within 1% accuracy. It has been for nearly 30 years. It is a matter of knowing the wheel diameter and counting , via a magnet, the number of revolutions per a given time interval. It is the kind of experiment they would make you run in High School. It is silly that there is this "thing" with everything from chinese gy6's to Piaggios and Vespas to read grossly (more than 3%) over. The fact is, if the odometer is accurate then they ARE calculating correctly and then choosing to display speed incorrectly. And that is just stupid
  11. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're correct, except for a couple of things:

1) Tires of the same size differ in overall height and circumference from one manufacturer to another. If the speedo was calibrated correctly with one brand of tire, another brand could cause it to read under. This varies more than you might think.

2) As tires wear and the circumference gets smaller the speedo will naturally read higher.

Manufacturers leave enough wiggle room so the speedo won't wind up reading too low. Others have discussed the reasons why. "But what about my car, it reads accurately!" is an argument I've seen lots of people bring up. Most motorcycles and scooters determine speed by counting pulses from a speed sensor. If the bike has front and rear ABS the pulses may be counted at one or both wheels. Due to the crown of most motorcycle and scooter tires the number of pulses changes significantly as the bike is leaned over, because it is now riding on an area of the tires with much smaller circumference. In other words, the speed at which the wheels rotate are subject to a lot more variables than a car. Conversely with a car there are lots of sensors that can produce readings which can be interpreted for speed. Beyond the four ABS sensors (one at each wheel) there are also input (turbine) shaft and output shaft speed sensors. This is used to determine what gear the transmission is in, when to lock up a torque converter, as well as determining if there is any slippage within the transmission that would lead to failure. Vehicle speed in this kind of application can be obtained and calculated through a variety of data streams available and double checked against other sensor data, depending on the manufacturer. Even during turns when the inside wheels travel slower than the outside wheels, the clock spring in the steering column can tell the computer how much the wheel is turned. Considering the amount of data available it is very easy to produce relatively accurate readings under almost all conditions with a car. I don't believe I have ever heard of a motorcycle that used bank angle sensor data to try to calculate the amount of speedo error as a bike gets leaned from the upright position. The speedo with just read faster. Likewise with a more crowned road that causes the motorcycle to ride more to the left portion of the tread.

The most accurate speedos I've encountered on bikes have been later model Harley-Davidsons. Typically about 2-3 mph high around 60 mph, and generally stays that way until much higher speeds (90 +) when the speedo gets a lot more optimistic.
    Moat likes this.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    My unloved Honda NC700X had a perfect speedometer. Maybe 1/2 to 1 mph optimistic after the tires wore a bit.

That wasn't enough to make me keep it.

In this day and age, I don't know why all the vehicle manufacturer's don't go to GPS speedometers on everything.

Bill
  13. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha was just about to unveil a minor change to the Xmax. Just styling changes to the front and rear but it's on hold now due to the virus.
  14. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy, this issue on top of everything else, really has me thinking twice about buying one of these deeply flawed machines. Oh well, maybe I'll give Harley-Davidson a look see.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But then you have to buy $10k worth of T shirts and doo rags :rofl
    fm13, kpinvt, minimac and 1 other person like this.
  16. mazze

mazze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant scooter... I love mine!
    It is my practical and comfy choice for everyday tours. The MT09SP was demoted to the weekend furious tasks :ricky

20190427_141550.jpg
  17. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My impression was every vehicle have some inaccuracy.
  18. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because tunnels? :p
    kpinvt, workerB and CashCow like this.
  19. RalphM

RalphM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about tunnels as the last two long ones I have been through the GPS worked
    all the way, maybe they are fitting a repeater system to remove blank spots.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  20. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    they work because some tunnels have cell phone repeater system but the truth is even cell phones have dead reckoning that is helpful in that situation