New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had an xmax 300 for nearly 3 years now and 14,000kms (have 2 now) and never been in a situation where I needed a parking brake. I always use the main stand and if the ground is at a compromising angle, there's always a better location just a few metres away.
  2. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Yes and I found that I don't need it very often
  3. modmaster

modmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response CashCow. I am definitely leaning towards the Puig. You've been helpful as well as all the others.
    modmaster
  4. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had it for 1 year (20k km) and I've wanted it several times. Having to go off the bike to put it on the center stand I'd way too much hassle when I just want both hands free to check the map or whatever. I live in a land of mountains.
    workerB likes this.
  5. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blue&Yellow likes this.
  6. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seen that metallic matt red on other Yamaha models, it looks fantastic.
  7. versysrider

versysrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3F6C1502-C6EF-4800-832C-E8971C3109A5.jpeg 3F6C1502-C6EF-4800-832C-E8971C3109A5.jpeg @ Glen e: I read the entire thread before I bought my Xmax and made a post, I liked your inexpensive strap idea and thought about buying one, but then searched for “parking brake locks” and found this option.

@ FreewheelBurning: the lock is a simple spring loaded pin that is up when not in use (spring pressure holds it up), you pull the brake lever back and push the pin down gently with a finger (easily used with gloves on), when pulling the lever and pushing the pin it will at a certain point line up with a hole in the supplied bracket that is installed under the lever and drop into place. Once the pin pushes down through the hole you simply hold it down and release the brake lever, bike is locked in firmly in place. To release the brake lock you simply pull the brake lever back towards the bar, and when the pressure is released the spring pops the pin up and off you go. It’s very slick solution. We have the same type of brake locks that came stock on both of our cvt quads/4 wheelers, so I figured there must be a similar solution for such a popular (in other countries) scooter. I can’t believe Yamaha didn’t put one on the Xmax, cost would be very little.

Pic of underside of lever in locked position. Again, sorry about the double pic post, I can’t seem to remove 1 pic?
  8. versysrider

Oddometer:
    Oh, and regarding the levers, the lock (bracket) is made to work with the back brake only, as is always the case as far as I’ve seen with parking brake locks on cvt equipped vehicles. Also I didn’t use the longer hex head bolt and brass insert that is meant to be installed in the lever before said longer bolt goes through. Nor did I use the new self locking nut supplied in the kit, as the oem nut is self locking too. I only used the bracket that came in the kit. The reason being is that the stock/oem lever bolt has a shank that extends through the lever so you can’t over tighten the oem bolt and possibly make the brake lever not return freely, or worse lock up the brake entirely. So just to make it crystal clear I only used the new lever and bracket that came in the kit.

Also regarding the levers themselves: the small hex head bolts and nuts on the levers themselves were all loose on my levers, which is not uncommon with the Chinese levers, and leads to excess up and down free play. You won’t have a quarter inch socket thin enough to tighten the little bolts under the levers as they are in a “well”. I just held the little bolts with 2 small flat blade screwdrivers against the flats on the nuts and tightened them, took about a minute, and cut the free play down in the levers significantly. I also apply a little lithium grease to all contact points when the levers are out.

Hope this helps someone, Dave
  9. versysrider

Oddometer:
    A4C45746-CBD6-42A6-9CDC-88F0487D2A3B.jpeg Also got these today, brake reservoir covers $11, they match the levers perfectly.
    kpinvt, DandyDoug and modmaster like this.
  10. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the new levers. The color goes well with your machine.
    Congrat's on making it yours :-)
  11. versysrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I’m not a fan of matt black, so some color helps. Wish Yamaha would send more colors to the US. Just like when I got my first FZ-09 Yamaha was only bringing in one color, but shortly after they announced another color, and by the time the first bikes were arriving they announced a third color. No such luck for the Xmax though, only one color a year.
  12. timblanch

timblanch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. timblanch

timblanch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I picked up my new 2020 XMax last evening from Pete's Cycle in Baltimore. This is me as I started my ride home on the 0 mile bike.

It was a two and a half hour ride home going down thru the heart of Baltimore on Route 1, Belaire Road. Then getting twisted around at the harbor, getting by Federal Hill, out Light Street, then over to Hanover Street which becomes Route 2 which takes you all the way down into southern maryland and eventually to Pax River Naval Air Station in St. Mary's. I don't live quite that far, but 4,500 r.p.m. made for a very slow ride home. 38 mph uphill, 45 mph best. It was a delight to watch the mpg increase to 85.2 by the time I arrived home to a warm family welcome and superb pasta meal. They don't call it comfort food for nothing.

I was surprised that I lasted a full two hours before I started to squirm a bit. So the seat if comfortable, the screen did a real nice job, and overall, it was a pleasant first date. Our $2,400 stimulus check is out stimulating something. Pete's was delivering four (4) bikes at the end of the shift yesterday, so maybe stimulus is helping out the good guys (motorcycle guys.)

My garage now includes the 2004 Metropolitan, 2010 Elite 110, 2016 PCX150, and now 2020 XMax 300. What is missing is the 2016 C650GT. That was a whale, although it was a very comfortable and sporty whale. But for me, whales take away too much from what's great about the scooter experience - the low stress of operation.

I still have my Africa Twin dct. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I kind of fell in lust a little for the Kawasaki W800 sitting on the floor at Pete's while killing an hour and a half for the paperwork/prep to be completed. Bounced between that and a bunch of Triumph Bonnies or different sorts. Much preferred the feel of the W800. The Triumphs felt floppy in the steering. Anyway, that might replace the Africa Twin, which is just too much bike for my soon to be 53 years old less than what it used to be flexible monkey body.

I plan to use the XMax for lots of commuting to work in DC, which is 38-40 miles each way, depending on which route I take. I leave early in the morning so traffic moves, but in the afternoon lane splitting can save me 15-20 minutes easy. The BMW C650 was an excellent lane splitter with the CVT better than the Africa Twin dct for low speed responsiveness and control. I am certain the XMax 300 will be a big improvement over the C650 for lane splitting.

Plus, the XMax will be my short hop go to the store go to as well as pleasure rides. I know that's a lot to expect from a scooter, but ... as you guys know, these darn things are just wonderful.

Thanks to an understanding wife, who doesn't like my addiction, but accepts me. I just have to do my share so it's a two way street and things seem to work out. That's 26 years of marriage, so a lot of you know what I'm saying.

THANK YOU ALL for your information and help. You guys are really great, and I look forward to updating you as I break in the XMax. Sincerely, Tim
  14. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike and the report. I sure like mine even more now that the weather is warming up. A little over a 1,000 mi so far. Went for my first ride last week where I didn't have at least a 20-30 mph wind or more. Kept the visor up, very pleasant. Glad to hear your dealer was selling bikes.
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrat's on the new machine :-)

I like the Xmax a lot and if I were not in so deep with my Vespa , an Xmax would be on the radar.
    That flat black is screaming for some color , cant wait to see your first farkles. :-)
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks dark green to me.
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  17. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Looks black but 2020 called a shadow gray. Seems a greenish tinge in certain lights.
  18. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dark green but maybe my eyes are different ...

[​IMG]
  19. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    that's european
  20. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same colour as in US....
    [​IMG]