1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dbeth

dbeth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had ordered some rivets at the beginning of the month, and they just came in on Friday. I didn't find them elsewhere, but they're exactly what I needed.
  2. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    They generally are a standard size, and I've found generic ones at virtually every good metric motorcycle dealership of parts shop.
  3. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m curious to hear how that works out for you.
  4. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    Did you order them online? or through a dealer? All sorts of sizes/styles on Amazon. Any chance you can confirm the part number?
  5. dbeth

dbeth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the part number I ordered off of Partzilla a few weeks back and just received last week. Ordered some extras. Wasn't having luck finding them on Amazon...sorry (but I also wasn't looking insanely hard either).
    donmac likes this.
  6. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can send you some of the ones I found, I just have to find them first. They came from Cycle Gear or Revzilla.

Edit\ They are the CG house brand Trackside. Nylon Push Rivet 6mm.
  7. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    Thanks KP, appreciate it but no need to send. I’ll just order some!
  8. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I
    It probably won't.
    Speedtrap likes this.
  9. ismatts

ismatts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have an update?

My update is frustrating. Called Monday this week and they said they havent even looked at it yet.
  10. X-Hannibal

X-Hannibal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The repair of my XMax is done one week ago. The repair shop installed a new cylinder head and changed the oil filter and the engine oil.
    The following picture shows the damage:

XMax-Defekt-1.jpg

Since then I have driven 400 km and the scooter works great as if no engine damage has happened.

XMax - Seite.jpg

XMax-WBL - 2.jpg
  11. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time for oil change XMAX 300. My local shop has the filter but not the 20-40 oil which the manual recommends for hot weather. Nor do they have the 85W GL-3 gear oil but the option is 10w-30 for that. Since I can't find Yamalube in either of those weights locally is it ok to use a high quality full synthetic from local auto supply as long as it meets the Yamalube standard, Mobil 1, etc.? I'm not sure if Yamalube is full synthetic or if they require a non full synthetic for those applications.
  12. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Thats got to be one in a thousand or more. Glad it runs perfectly.
    X-Hannibal likes this.
  13. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s absolutely OK. Yamaha does not own a refinery. They buy their stuff from one of the oil manufacturers, mobile 1 will work fine. I use 10 W 40. Have Used it for years…
  14. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any 10w-40 motorcycle oil will be fine for the engine and any 10w-30 motorcycle oil will be fine for the final drive.
    I stick cheap car oil in mine but am a complete tightwad.
    No mention in my Xmax300 user manual of any engine oil other than 10w-40, absolutely nothing mentioned about different grade for hot weather...?
    Have you actually read your manual or are you relying on information from bike shop?
    Bike shop staff often speak pish.
    Glen e likes this.
  15. Glen e

Oddometer:
    So just an update on the turn signal relocation discussed above. It is such an easy mod, I don’t know why I was thinking it was difficult. I had no idea you could leave the lights on the bike until the post was made above.(Thanks) A 1 inch hole saw, as discussed above cuts out the blank perfectly, and although I don’t have any turn signals to cut off the attachment part, I simply glued them into place with silicone seal, which will allow me to take them off easily if I need to. As you can see in the picture they point straight back so they’re easy to access…The turn signal wires going down to the turn signals are illustrated by the arrow. Pull them back up and re-wire.I cut off the turn signal brackets with a sawzall.

bulbs:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK4PL33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

by the way, I love these connectors vs std heat shrink/butt connectors, they melt solder on the joint:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NZ9L48L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

16. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotella T6 15w40. Everywhere. It's as good as ANYTHING else, and half the price, if not
    less.
    Wdoney likes this.
  17. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Yes I've read the manual several times, thank you! On page 10-1 it has a temperature chart with corresponding recommend oil weights. For my region I would use a SAE 20W-40 as I would be riding in a temp range of 50 to 100+F. It also gives the recommended oil grades. I recommend reading your manual for any equipment and then determining what allowances can safely be made and thus my questions. So I will be using a full synthetic in the recommended weights.
  18. fm13

fm13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dirtmarine, I ride in the same temperature range as you. Just had a 1000km service. The Yamaha shop use 10/40 in both the engine and final drive.
  19. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    I think mine did to. It will get er done. So much for the manual. Not a big difference anyway. Wonder if they recommend full syn after break-in? If they do it probably not. I plan to anyway.
  20. Glen e

Oddometer:
    I don’t think they make a distinction. Just remember synthetics are great for extended oil changes. That’s why they were requested for the car companies. It does really little good when we’re changing every on a regular basis. However, synthetics are so cheap you might as well…