New Xmax 300 !

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wibble, Sep 16, 2017.

1. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

They are plastic? Are they substantial enough to use in the aid of putting it on the center stand? If they are flimsy I might rethink my decision.
  2. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    They are plastic but sturdy, some kind of hard plastic. Not sure what the concern is really. Maybe people don't want to scuff them since they are painted? For passengers plastic can actually be better since it's less hot/cool to hold on to.
  3. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    As long as they at sturdy that’s all I care. Hopefully I can find someone to trade me. I am sure they will not be cheap from Yamaha.
  4. CBRider

CBRider Between a rock and a weird place.

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Euro front turn signals on order that should arrive in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I decided to get rid of those ugly turn signal stalks on the back. I used the stock harness/bulbs and modified the stock tail light assemblies.

The body panels on the Xmax are layered over each other, so in order to get the tail light assemblies off I took all of the rear body work off the bike. I wanted to look at the insides anyway.

[​IMG]

The tail lights have a place for the turn signals to go, but the back is sealed off with a blank. It is not a knockout and must be drilled out. You can see the blank for the turn signal in this photo, along with the wires that go to the LED tail light.

[​IMG]

A 1" hole saw fits in the blank just right. I thought there was too much chance of damaging the assembly if I used a drill, so I removed the mandrel from my 1" hole saw and just turned the bit by hand. In this photo the blank is partially drilled out.

[​IMG]

Here it is drilled all the way out. On the first one I got a lot of "sawdust" inside the lens. I had to rig up a tube to attach to a vacuum to get it all out. Static electricity doesn't help. :nah It took some time but I got it all. I was more careful on the next assembly and didn't have that problem.

Here is a completed hole.

[​IMG]

Since I was going to use the stock harness, I cut the back of the stock turn signal socket off and then epoxied them onto the assemblies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the stock harnesses after I liberated them from the blinker stalks.

[​IMG]

And this is what it looks like now. If you look carefully you can see the turn signal bulb inside the turn signal chamber. I also cut the metal brackets off where the original stalks were mounted.

[​IMG]

I think it looks way better than stock. Can't wait to get parts to do the front signals.
    Hip001, kpinvt, MJSfoto1956 and 8 others like this.
  5. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done.......so much cleaner
    CBRider likes this.
  6. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell ya that looks good.
    CBRider likes this.
  7. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    @CBRider

For all your hard work I think you should reward yourself with an aftermarket exhaust :D

(I had good results with the inexpensive Mivv Urban Exhaust)
    CBRider likes this.
  8. Tzjombie

Tzjombie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone who had a Honda PCX 150 and now owns a XMAX tell me how they compare, fit wise? I currently have a 2013 PCX. Thanks
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CBRider likes this.
  10. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded in a 15 PCX for the new Xmax. The bIkes are remarkably similar. The lightness and the ease of handling of the pcx 150 is still there on the Xmax and yet It feels slightly heavier so it doesn't get blown around like a PCX on the interstate. Mileage is about the same, I really don’t keep track of that. Storage better. Bottom line? If you have to do any interstate work at all, it's a joy on the Xmax, whereas on the PCX it can be scary.

My "fit" on the Xmax is exactly the same as the PCX, same leg room, same fit. Because you can adjust the windshield and the handlebars on the X max, unlike the PCX, you can get the bike to fit better with the adjustments.
  11. Tzjombie

Tzjombie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much that was very helpful. I’m looking at possibly buying a Xmax but the dealer doesn’t have one available at my local dealer. He does have one at another store but I would have to buy it to get it moved to my local store. They offered it for $5600 otd but I was hesitant because I never sat on one and was uncomfortable buying something I’ve never sat on. This helps.
  12. james allen

james allen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think any dealer can get a Xmax from one of the Warehouses in the USA,my dealer did it took two weeks, I just put down $ 1000 dollars to more than cover shipping then when it showed up I paid $3400 & fianance the rest.
  13. Tzjombie

Tzjombie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, thank you. I just needed to put down $250 to get moved up here. I think getting the XMAX for $5600 out the door is a pretty good deal.
    james allen likes this.
  14. rlkat

rlkat Mine's a whisky

Oddometer:
    I think I'm slowly succumbing to the Xmax and scooters in general. I think a test ride is in order.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I will pick mine up tomorrow. Xmax at BMW.JPG
    kpinvt, Blue&Yellow, Bealo and 4 others like this.
  16. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You’ll have fun. And have to slow down for my Baby Burgman.
  17. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a short guy at 5'6" on a good day with an inseam ay 28-29" with riding boots on would fit ok? I noticed the specs show a taller seat height....I need to go to a dealer and sit on one.
  18. av8erdunn

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! Where did you end up buying it from?
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I got a new one. My friend Don owns the local BMW and Ducati dealership. He also owns a Yamaha store in Palatka that ge is selling next week after owning it for 12 years. He got mine from the buyer’s dealership. So I bought it from Don.

Pick it up tomorrow.

Bill
    kpinvt and conchscooter like this.
  20. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you or someone able to provide a before photo prior to removing the stock lights?

It’s definitely nicer without the stock stalks.