New Yamaha SR400 confirmed for USA

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to ride the SR. My last bike was a Hawk GT. Great bike but getting older and the riding position was a little cramped.
    Webman likes this.
  2. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those were nice machines! I was looking for one when my Seca II popped up at a price I couldn’t refuse. More comfortable than a Hawk, but my knees and hip joints get very stiff after about an hour in the saddle. I think you’ll find the SR much more comfortable!
    jhonny ro likes this.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    mod the seats, pegs, bars to fit. Many more bikes will fit you needs. I have to mod every bike we buy at our age, besides not many have good seats from the get go anyway.
    Webman likes this.
  4. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These so called golden years have not been so golden for me when it comes to riding motorcycles. I’m embarrassed to say I probably enjoy working on bikes more these days than riding. The traffic where I live now is crazy. Really makes me envious to see some of the pictures people have posted of their rides.
    I really like the SR for its ability to be customized. I haven’t seen anyone complain about the fueling on the SR unless a more free flowing pipe has been added. Nice to see. I wish I could remember who posted about hooking up a resistor in line with either the intake air temperature or engine temperature sensor. I would have thought that would have really helped to richen up the fuel mixture with an aftermarket pipe. I have played with the throttle position sensor to eliminate off idle stumbles but not sure what to do to richen up the air fuel ratio across the whole rpm range. With all the mods people are doing to these bikes I’m surprised power commander has not released some different fuel maps.
    Webman likes this.
  5. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that was RocketMan. You might check with companies based in Australia like Mostyn, they developed their own map, which they sell a small part of their Power Commander kit:

https://mostynindustries.com.au/Stage-4-SR400-kit

Remember, their prices are in Australian dollars, not sure the exchange rate. Might be worthwhile.

EDIT: it looks like they also sell the PC unit by itself, with their custom map included. A bit cheaper, too:

https://mostynindustries.com.au/product/power-commander-unit-sr400
  6. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. I’ll will take a look.
    Webman likes this.
  7. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Webman, thanks for pointing out those are Australian dollars. I had looked at that before without doing the conversion and just figured all you SR400 owners were a lot richer than me.
    Webman likes this.
  8. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    Actually it was Bret and was in regards to removing the air injector. I think it was around 10 ohms and fairly high voltage which are pretty big and can heat up quite a bit if I recall. I also removed the air injector pump and plugged the hole in the head without putting a resistor across the terminal and have had no issues. Cleans up the look of the engine quite a bit and gave me a place to remount the regulator from under the engine after it got smashed and messed up the plug causing it to short out.
    RM
    Webman likes this.
  9. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming I’m, RocketMan! I hope you’re getting in a few good rides this Spring!
  10. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    You bet! Had three 150+ mile rides in the past two weeks, as always each better than the last. Coming up on 30,000 miles and planning a nice 6 day ride down the BRP and then back up on a mixture of twisty side roads in first week of August.
    RM
    Chillis and Webman like this.
  11. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to some pictures from those rides!!!
    Chillis likes this.
  12. ilmothefinn

ilmothefinn Last snail in the coffin

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  13. malagato

malagato Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW this thread is still going...my last post on this thread was June 2014 and then life took a turn...anyway, when I "left" (it was a work thing) the SR had 100 miles on it and now it has 564....and its a 2015 model and I got #28 in June 2014...nice to see the development of a lot things regarding the SR and now I have to go read from page 75 or something to get all caught up. Rode it the other day, it is the same as when I parked it in June 2014..... and I still like it a lot...
  14. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to hear you have your SR back on the road, malagato! I hope you'll chime in with updates an a couple of photos!
    Chillis likes this.
  15. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like I am going to get about 5000 miles from the Shinko 712 rear tire. The front doesn't show much wear yet.

Overall, I am happy with the 712's but would have liked to have gotten a little more mileage from the rear.

005.jpg
  16. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran a set of Shinko 705's on my CB500X for 29,000 km. Probably 2-3000 km too far but I had no complaints so I bought another set. I've thought about them for a TU250X but haven't needed tires yet.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally got my SR400. Had it shipped from Ohio to South Carolina. I’ve only put about 20 mikes on it so far. Great little bike and pretty much everything I expected. I was looking for a light bike with an upright seating position for just riding around town. I’m not saying it is slow but the last bike I had which revved this slow was an SL350. This is a huge change from my last couple bikes but what I was looking for. As much as I like horsepower I just wanted something easy to manage and I could put on a motorcycle hitch carrier.
    I ordered front fork springs, cartridge emulators and preload adjusters based on some of the comments I read about the mushy front suspension but so far for my 165 pounds I think the set up is pretty good. I’ll post some pics when I start taking the forks apart.

Attached Files:

Webman and luas like this.
  18. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your pics! If you do end up needing more power, check out Mostyn in Australia. They have a kit, which while expensive, makes a big difference in power:

https://mostynindustries.com.au/Stage-4-SR400-kit
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    One reason I did the fork springs (and bigger tires) was to get more ground clearance (lean angle).
    Its very limited when the soft forks are compressed.

I had no fueling issues with my SR, I had drilled out the cat and ran a 3/4 inch drill through the silencer along with cutting the air intake snorkel
    flush with the inside of the airbox and the bike ran fine.
    Would pull another tooth on the front sprocket to red line, 85 or 90 mph....

I tried a power commander and the only thing I noticed was a nice boost at and above 5000 rpm with a 2 degree timing advance.
    You could FEEL the hit at 5000 rpm.
    Mixture changes seemed to do nothing.

Air injection: removal of the system cleans up things and prevents future problems and I do not think unplugging the solinoid sets an alarm, but
    since its a low resistance you need a big power resistor to substitute for it if you go that way, something like 15 ohms at 15 watts.
    Volts times amps is power, 13 volts, 15 ohms (I think its actually about 10), .9 amps, 11.2 watts.

But I do not think an alarm is set with it unplugged...

SR500 foot pegs are a nice improvement as is adding bar end weights.

Another tooth on the front sprocket makes the bike nice at higher speeds.

Its a really nice bike.
    I would have another one.