New Yamaha SR400 confirmed for USA

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good, Rocketman! I look forward to hearing your impressions of the power commander with that Australian map.
  2. gjl

gjl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rocketman, you did a nice job mounting the fairing. Looks good, and you didn’t even need to paint it.
    Webman likes this.
  3. kiwride

kiwride n00b

Oddometer:
    I use the LT1 from sw motech. Fits slightly to one side of the tank to make way for the fuel cap. Very happy with it - stores all my essentials, magnets good at highway speed, compact but expandable, pass thru hole for a charging cord, solid materials and construction. Now that I think of it, I can't come up with any complaints.

Webman likes this.
  4. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics, please! This sounds pretty functional. I’m curious how it looks & fits the SR.
  5. kiwride

kiwride n00b

Oddometer:
    Sure, here you go! Sorry for the poor quality of the images but it should give you a sense of the look and fit.
    IMG_2259.PNG Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.40.20 PM.png
  6. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Tell me about your experience with the SW Motech saddlebag(s), as well; they look great on your bike! Do you have a pair (one on each side)? Are they water resistant? Do you have saddlebag carrier 'frames' behind the bags? Have you taken your SR on any longer trips, where you'd need that luggage? So many questions, sorry!:D
  7. kiwride

kiwride n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Webman! On the saddlebags, I have a pair, they attach via a saddle strap (a separate sw motech item) to the seat so there are no frame mounts. I use the bike mostly as a commuter with longer rides on weekends (at least before the virus), and they work well in both cases. With a lot of city riding I didn’t want to add to the width of the bike, and the lack of metal mounts seems to help here (can’t say for sure as I don’t have experience with other saddlebags). During the work week I put my work bag in one. In the other I permanently park rain gear, tools, and a pair of tire tubes because I’m paranoid. 95% of the time it’s more space than I need but I do like knowing the storage option is there. The only time I packed them full was for a 3 day trip.

They come with straps to lash them to the frame. The setup is very stable in all directions - whether front to back, up-down, laterally. Material is mostly a heavy canvas with some leather (faux?) which seems to be water resistant in light rain. In heavy rain the interior gets damp. They come with inner dry bags which I haven’t felt the need to use in almost 2 years of having them.

Downsides have been minor. Not as secure as hard luggage, but that’s the nature of it. I often park my bike in the city and use some steel cable and a padlock on the bags. It won’t stop a motivated thief but so far so good. You could cut the canvas with a knife but it would take some time and effort. A few weeks ago I noticed some of the straps were flapping around because the stretchy nylon for holding excess strap had lost their stretch, which was easily fixed. The canvas is hard to clean so I just don’t, and they look almost right with a little dirt.

Webman likes this.
  8. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    Instead of paying $50 for someone else to do the pinstripping I figured I'd give it shot first. Found some dual line pinstripe tape at the local auto store that looked to be a pretty close match color and width wise for $7. It's a bit wider by .05 Inches but pretty close in color. First I did the fairing and it came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Then just for shits and grins I decided to extend it along the back of the mirrors since they are pretty close in in line with the top of fairing where the pin stripes end.
    With both additions I took it out for several rides, definitely another 5% increase in performance :lol3 (or maybe it's just me??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bike is becoming Really dangerously fast :lol3:lol3 (or again, maybe it's just me??), but I really do think its more stable at speed and certainly more comfortable at speed, wind battering wise.

In two weeks I'm taking it for a 6 day, 5 night ride down and back the BlueRidge Parkway and Skyline Drive, staying at all my favorite places, Peaks of Otter Lodge, Woodberry Inn at Meadows of Dan, The Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland NC then down to the highest point on the parkway and back to Meadows of Dan and finally Big Meadows Lodge on Skyline Drive. The entire time I will at or above 3000 feet and hopefully much cooler than the surrounding lowlands!

RM
  9. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good, RocketMan! I hope you'll give us a detailed account of your trip and your experience riding that sweet SR on this adventure!
  10. bergh611

bergh611 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is a bit late , but I have an omega racer seat , and it fit without mods 66754239-A012-403C-B715-A059A7DD8213.jpeg
    Ginger Beard, Scoozi and Webman like this.
  11. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost all non-modern bikes need those bar end mirrors. Mine are chrome. Huge vast improvement and takes care of wanting bar end weights. Beautiful country, by the way, and Cheers!
    Webman likes this.
  12. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4 kicks to get going today after a month. A 2015. Was more fun than I remember, a nice ancient dirt bike thumper set up for street. Tomorrow, one kick. Next step, put a tank bag off the shelf onto her. Small medium and large await. I think medium will look best. I have emulators and springs on the shelf, likely do it this winter. The Eurosport bars, mirrors above and SR500 pegs are the best mods for a full size USA rider as then it fits.
    Webman likes this.
  13. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you on here again, happy to hear you're getting the SR out for some rides!
  14. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Lost my speedo cable last weekend, the inner part, on the road somewhere. Noticed on today's ride. I want to blame someone else for not tightening the fitting at the wheel but I can't. I have another for $20 shipped from the E-auction site....pleasant surprise at how cheap the part is.

Looking here today for people who get more revs out of this engine. Somewhere in the posts more than one person did road-worthy mods. Mine pulls like a tractor, all OEM on the power plant. I prefer my tractors to be actual tractors....

My local ride is about 30 minutes, on and around Chickatawbut Road in the Blue hills reservation, it is difficult to believe this large forest (8x2 miles) with windy sun-dappled 2 lane blacktop is close-in suburban Boston. It includes a small actual ski mountain.

I have a fresh 89 GS500E to put on the road this week. Spent six months bringing it back, it is white with blue stripes and the fake clipons they made for only 1989. Valves were way off, the carbs needed new orings and jets, handlebars were bent so straighten those, new cables, levers, OEM grips and throttle tubes, bar end mirrors, Katana shock, cleaned the removable oil pan(!) on and on. My next learning for bikes may be plastic repair the weld way instead of either rivets or JBweld way. I wish there was an SR400 forum similar to GStwins.com, that GS forum seriously increases the practicality of having a GS500. The SR500 forum seems dead today,, won't open.

Could somebody remind me which user here or which posts to look at, 200 pages to search.

Cheers!
    Webman likes this.
  16. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I can't help with the SR mods, but I most definitely can help with the plastic repairs! I love the '89 GS, I was looking for a GS500 before I found my '97 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II as a well-rashed project. The right side panel was in three pieces, you can see the results of my repair in this thread:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-forgotten-yamaha-seca-ii.1080212/page-12

Message 232 shows what it looks like now.

I had excellent results from using scrap ABS plastic to reinforce behind the panels, and using ABS cement from Home Depot, believe it or not. I also recently used the same procedure on my cracked front fender.

It look like the SR forum has moved pretty much to their Facebook site, which is a bummer; I liked reading the forum archive! I refuse to use Facebook on principle, a subject for another forum! :lol3
  17. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can see the "before" picture in post 210 of the Seca II thread, it gives a good idea of what's possible using the technique I mentioned. I've also lost the speedometer cable the same way. While I caught mine, it wasn't before the tip was damaged by road contact. Yamaha uses a similar setup on a lot of their bikes.
  18. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG-20170722-WA0000.jpeg
    Webman likes this.
  19. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my XJ600sfc. Its best feature is that it is a beautiful bike.

I put the bars and mirrors back to stock to transport to selling dealer, where it still waits for a buyer, on consignment. Maybe I might take it back in the spring. Runs well, pulls clean from 1,500 rpms in top gear on a flat road. I meant to check valves and do a carb synch, but did not. Has a cramped riding position, for me. So does the GS500, but the GS500 is a small bike to start with. I will look for SR400 on FB.

Today I put on a one tooth larger sprocket on the SR. Yesterday I laminated the license plate with 4 layers of aluminum sheet metal, maybe 24 gauge.

Cheers!
    Webman likes this.
  20. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, the Seca has a slightly cramped feel for me, as well; I'm 6'-2", and if I keep it, I'll want to get the footpegs Radare mentioned in the Seca II thread. They're supposed to give a bit more legroom, which I definitely need. I'd probably want a handlebar with about 1-2" more rise & pullback, as well, due to an old back injury that limits me to about an hour of riding at a time. It's fascinating how much roomier the SR felt when I tried one, despite being so much smaller and lighter. I still want one, but my finances took a hit due to corona.