New Yamaha SR400 confirmed for USA

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Dec 17, 2012.

1. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Final Edition
    Webman likes this.
  2. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a sad time, RIP old friend!
  3. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a classic looking bike. I don't consider myself a collector but plan to pass this one on to my kids in the distant future if I am lucky.
    They seem to be holding their value. Embarrassingly I only have about 250 miles on mine but local dealership offered me nearly what I paid for it on a trade in the other day. I really thought about it but know I would regret letting it go.

Attached Files:

AZbiker and Webman like this.
  4. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2017, Yamaha announced they ended production of the SR400. Then new SR400 models continued to show up in some countries for the next three years. Now the 2021 "Final' "Editions have been announced.

It sort of reminds me of the 1984 BMW "Last Edition" boxers. BMW then continued with a lineup of airheads for about another 10 years.

We shall see.
    AZbiker and Webman like this.
  5. Toro5xi

Toro5xi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if emission requirements have something to do with it and the lack of liquid cooling. I wonder how long the Kawi W800 will be around in its current configuration. Love the looks of that bike as well.
    Webman and AZbiker like this.
  6. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    It's time to get a new rear tire for my wife's 2016 SR400. I love the Heidenau K60 Scout Tires cause they last a long time on the street but do great in the dirt & the loss of traction on the street from nobbies is barely perceptible imo. The size I'm looking at is 4.00x18 64T TT which I've been reading should equate to ~120-90-18. This is the same rear tire used in the ‘GibbonSlap,’ custom SR400 from Wrenchmonkees. So I'm assuming it'll be a little tighter but will work without any mods to the rear or the rim. Anyone out there try this? Here's the gear list on the GibbonSlap build: https://www.kedo-wrenchmonkees.com/sr400-500.html?limit=all
    sr400-2.jpg
    Webman and TonyKZ1 like this.
  7. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it, but I'm a big fan of the Wrenchmonkees, so I've seen plenty about that bike!
  8. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    Hi Luas, where did you get the Motor Rock tension bar? I'm planning on adding a 4.00x18 64T TT (equates to ~120-90-18) as a rear tire. Might add a steering damper too. Thanks!
  9. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    How'd that 120/90 fit on the rear for ya; any problems with clearance?
  10. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    How did this nobbie rear tire work for ya? What were you running up front?
  11. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tension bar and steering damper both came from Webike Japan. I just took a quick look and both no longer appear to be on their web site. You may want to double check that. I believe Kedo makes a steering damper and Vintage Spoke would be the US supplier.

I saw your earlier post about mounting the K 60 rear tire. I can't say whether or not it will fit. Are you planning on also changing to a K60 front tire as well? Just from looking at the photos, that looks like it might not fit with the stock front fender. Using the K60 rear and the stock "street" tire on the front would be an unusual combination.

Please let us know how it works out.
  12. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm going to stick with her stock tire in front for a bit longer. On my G650 GS I had the K60 as a rear & the stock road tire, & it was imo a good combo for mostly street (which is what she would be doing) when I switched to the K60 on front, the bike definitely felt a bit sketchier on pavement at speed; took a while for the front to settle & since she's not that experienced, I'm thinking it will be too disconcerting for her to have the K60 on front.

PS. Did the Webbike Japan website look normal to you; i've visited it the last few days using different web browsers & none of the CSS formatting is being applied, so the website looks like an exploded mess & it's hard to navigate. I've ordered from them in the past & had no issues.

Thanks again for the info!
  13. YJake

YJake Social Distancing Before It Was Cool

Oddometer:
    Actually I never did the dualsport thing. I used the SR to tour and really enjoyed it while I owned it.

-Jake
    WayOut and Webman like this.
  14. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Webike website looked normal to me
    WayOut likes this.
  15. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    Got the Heidenau K60 Scout (4.00x18 64T TT) mounted on my wife's SR400 rear tire. The last 2 days have been pretty wet so I didn't push it, but it feels good so far & it looks good imo. Looking at the tire alone it looked like it wouldn't fit but there's good clearance all around. I'll let her ride it for a bit with the stock front tire & later we can decide what would work good in front. Salud!

IMG_0489ce_800x724.jpg IMG_0490ce_564x800.jpg IMG_0492ce_800x594.jpg
    Philthy64, Webman and luas like this.
  16. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks it will really work well! What windshield is that? I haven't seen that one before.
  17. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WayOut

What handlebars are on her bike and did installation require lengthening of the wires that run from inside the headlight shell to the handlebar switches?
    Webman likes this.
  18. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    I got the windscreen from Omega Racer (www.omegaracer.com). I just looked & didn't see it listed on his website; maybe he's out of stock?
    Webman likes this.
  19. WayOut

WayOut Be like water

Oddometer:
    I got them from https://japan.webike.net/ They came with longer throttle & clutch cables but no lengthening of the wires from the headlight shell.
    I'll look through my records later & let you know if I find which exact one it is.
    Webman likes this.
  20. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have had my eye on this handlebar kit https://japan.webike.net/products/21697060.html (EFFEX SR500 replica handlebar kit) but I wouldn't want to have to hack up the electrical wiring to get it to fit. Maybe its the same that you have, except in black. For now I an using some generic handlebar risers.

By the way, that windshield from Omega is listed on their web site as "Sold Out".