New Yamaha SR400 confirmed for USA

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    I got my flyscreen fron Dart windshields, I think they now make one for the SR400, but the one for a Triumph that has a standard 7 inch round headlight works just fine. That's what I used before I replaced it with the 1/4 fairing from Amazon.
    RM
    Webman likes this.
  2. Aspen71

Aspen71 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have a 2015 with about 5,000 miles on it. The tires probably have a couple thousand miles more tread left on them, but they are six years old. Six years is my limit for motorcycle tires, so I am going to replace them.

I was in my local shop to arrange for new tires. My local shop guy has all the catalogs from all the tire manufacturers, but he was unable to find any tube/bias tires in the SR400 sizes.

Searching the forum, I have found some postings talking about Shinko 712s but the Shinko site shows them as tubeless.

it also appears that the Bridgestone Battle Ax 45s are no longer available in our size as a tube tire.

Are we missing something? As a rule I stick with the original size that the bike came with. I figure the engineers that designed the bike, decide on that size tire for a reason. I could really use a good recommendation for replacement tires.

Thanks
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I went the Shinko 712 tires in one size larger as I wanted the speedo to read closer and I needed more ground clearance (lean angle).
    The bike was great with those tires, I put about 25,000 miles on it with them.
    I also did the fork springs which helped a LOT.

The only tube type tires you can get are dual sport tires and old style Dunlop K70 tires.
    Webman likes this.
  4. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find tubeless tires in the right size, then "de-rate" it one notch to make up for the extra heat retention that will be caused by having a tube in there.
    - If the tire is stamped Speed rating S (112 mph), treat is as a R (106 mph).

Match the type front/back (just go radial since that's the easiest to find by far).

The new tires will give a slightly different ride (for obvious reasons), but it won't be a safety issue.
    Webman likes this.
  5. Aspen71

Aspen71 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. You both have given the info I need to get some new rubber. I wasn’t having any luck on the tire manufacturers websites.

I have four bikes, but in a lot of ways my SR is my favorite. FA279907-8878-4FD8-A26F-738CB3C98F60.jpeg
  6. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man! You got the perfect paint job. Sweet bike!
    Ginger Beard and Weldman like this.
  7. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    I only have three but my SR is definitely my favorite, pretty much out of all the bikes I've owned since 1970.
    RM
    Webman likes this.
  8. Aspen71

Aspen71 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve always liked the Yamaha Speed Blocks graphics from way back.

I went one size bigger on the front, and stock on the back. Doing that my dealer was able to find Bridgestone BT46s in both. He is a little backed up, and won’t be able to put them on till next month. I’ll report back if it changes the ride significantly.
  9. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Lots of companies make trials tires.
    Short life, noisy on the street but a good 50/50 tire.

Stock, the SR is VERY low, do not try and go over anything.
    It might make a great flat track bike, but my 2nd dirt road attempt had me rip the side stand switch clean off the bike.
    Webman likes this.
  11. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The forks are REALLY soft (but great otherwise).
    Progressive suspension sells springs for the sr 400/500.
    I put +1 size bigger tires front and back plus the fork springs fixed it for the street, it really does not belong on the dirt, its still very low and its a shame to trash a nice rare street bike in the dirt...

Chillis likes this.
  13. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    006.jpg

Prettyboy Dam, Northern Baltimore County.

Rode about 200 miles of mostly deserted backroads today near the Maryland/Pennsylvania border.

Great Spring day but still a little chill in the air while moving.

I am using a ARRIS battery heated vest to take the edge off. No need to tap into the bike's electric system.
  14. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Bark

Bark Panic Dancer

Oddometer:
    I had just gotten off the phone with revzilla.com looking for K950 tires when I saw your post. revzilla told me there never has been such an animal. Told him they came stock on my 1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex and after 35 years (and a couple of patches) they need to be changed. If I can get new K950 tires my motorcycle and I will be very happy. They are a great all around tire. Let some air out--go trials riding. Put air in--putter around town.
    Webman likes this.
  16. RocketMan

RocketMan Out Rocketing

Oddometer:
    Yikes! 35 year old tires! Yeah, probably time to change them regardless of tread depth, just saying....
    RM
    Bark and Webman like this.
  17. luas

luas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    003.jpg
    Webman and alex4515 like this.
  18. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer: