New York state ~ Tennwssee

Discussion in 'Americas' started by forgorin, Jun 17, 2019.

1. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    This August I'll be riding from Montreal to South Carolina. I'll be two up on a DR650SE.

A few months ago a friend picked up a DR650SE for me (I live in Japan). Can't wait to take it out!

My rough plan is to head through New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia,Virginia and Tennessee.

We have no idea of what to see or do along the way. We just plan on asking people for ideas while we are on the way. My preferred form of traveling. Locals always know some cool places to see\check out.

We don't want to be on any major roads. Prefer dirt. Because we are two up it cant be too rough. If anyone know some great dirt or gravel roads roughly heading in the direction we are heading I would be very happy to hear about them!
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  3. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
  4. Amphib

Oddometer:
    forgorin likes this.
  5. Amphib

Oddometer:
    forgorin likes this.
  6. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seneca Scenic Highway thru W Va is a nice ride, Hwy 58 thru southern VA is a bike friendly road heading in your general direction. There’s always the Skyline Dr and Blue Ridge Parkway. A simple easy 2 day ride that ends in TN. Slow but scenic and zero traffic lights. Lots of side roads off the BRP that are unimproved.
    Floyd VA on a Friday night is great for the street scene, live music and street food.
    Interstate 81 sucks on a bike, very crowded with trucks.
    Gravelmap.com
  7. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot guys. Gives me a rough route to follow! Can't wait for July 29th!!!
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    To help you I need to understand if you are going off paved roads while riding two up? If the plan is off the main roads, into the scenery and twisties-then I can help. Single tracks not my thing. In my area, if it's a dirt road then it's either private or part of the natioal forest and often those are gated too! In the eastern USA dirt roads are not as common as out west and often they are logging not available like in the west. Gravel is less common here too.
    My standard start is : www.visitvirginiamountains.com which includes some of the best rural riding in the SE USA. The friend who set the info up is based in Marion, VA.
    From Montreal the riding in all of New England is superb. August makes for hot and humid other than the highest elevations in all those areas.
    I personally would consider Quebec City as a great place to take your friend! it's "Europe in North America" and very user friendly city with historical and more plus it's easier to negotiate than Montreal which has interest but still yet a big place, maybe not by Japan standards but still big.
  9. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Naktuckid, thanks a bunch for your reply. Yes. We will head up to Montreal and Quebec City. She as been but I haven't! Unfortunately we can't stay too long. We are on quite a tight budget...

Yes, we will be two up for the entire trip. We want to avoid all major roads. The more rural the better! Again, I plan on asking local along the way for their facourite roads and places to camp!

If you have any ideas for some side trips or favourite roads/routes I'd like to hear about them!

Thanks for the link. I will read through it when i have a bit of down time!
  10. AdvBike

AdvBike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can you get some pics of the bike from your friend in canada? Does it have a luggage set up?

Two up on a dr650 has to be correctly planned you cant carry too much stuff. Dr650 is a relatively compact/tight frame compared to say bmw f650 etc. However it has the advantage of being lighter/easier to handle than say bmw f650. That s why the dr is a uniquely good bike.

The MABDR route suggested to you above is good for two up at a decent pace. There are sections that are more difficult than some others, do your research. Choose the easiest ones you can. You are two on one bike, always keep that in mind. I did it I have some idea. You have to be patient and pace yourself.
  11. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    AdvBike, actually the bike is in South Carolina. I'll be picking it up there them making a beeline to Canada to visit family.

Yup, it has a rear rack plus pannier rack. I have a top bag for my kitchen and panniers. All in it weighs about 20kg. Might be able to bring it down a few more Kgs. However, that would entail chucking out some of my girls stuff!! Not sure if she will be too happy with me. Got a two man tent, two sleeping pads, sleeping bags, tarp for rainy days, roadside tools (enough to fix standard problems), air pump, 3 days of clothes each, some other odds and ends plus a small kitchen on the back (cook set, plates/bowls, cutlery, cups and cleaning shtuff). Almost everything is lightweight backpacking gear. We will probably add a few kgs in food/beer to this on some days.

Thanks for the advice for the MADDR, I've been reading up about it. We have about a month of riding in the states. In no rush!!!! Want to stop and smell as many flowers along the way!
  12. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of the bike. I will be removing the top box.

Attached Files:

13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    That link has printable maps for all the day trips there-in. Most are ~ 200 miles or so and really are some of the top riding in the SE USA where I live every day. They are scenic, twisty (The Dragon and The Snake and the Tail of the Snake are all nearby) . MC campgrounds are cheap, have showers and safe, pleasant spots to camp or cabins at some and there are many in the general area of W NC and E TN. The BRP, etc. as mentioned will be worth the ride but any riding in these mtns. is generally slow as rural roads with agricultural vehicles, many turnouts, etc.. The area where SC (best part of SC IMO) and NC meet near Brevard, NC, etc. is great riding and very scenic too. I really like the ride from Tazwell VA over to Marion, VA and the MT Rogers area.
    Local riders did the routes on my link. "Asking locals" usually doesn't get you riding information unless you ask a rider who shares your perspective.
  14. AdvBike

AdvBike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you got it. I'll follow your trip!

the whole route is connected to small towns etc. so you ll have access to supermarkets and fine american cuisine ;)

this report should give a good idea of what to expect.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-...atlantic-backcountry-discovery-route.1318224/