New York to Inuvik to Deadhorse, August 2014

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Rodknee, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I notice a lot of people do not go to Denali National Park when they do their AK trip. Is the ride to Prodhoe Bay really worth missing out on that whole area and the Anchorage Area as well.

I been looking at all my trip possiblities and am thinking about cramming the KVR in there along with some other Alberta/BC side trips.

3+ days of riding the Dalton really worth missing out on all the other stuff out there?

I understand some have all the time they need but for those of us who only have 3weeks, somethimes you gotta compromise.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    i plan on riding the denali highway toward mt mckinley. apparently the views while travelling west are phenominal. :freaky
  3. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    It's marvellous the little pearls of info one can pick up from these forums, especially this 'Trip Planning' section, it's my favourite, more so than the RR section.
    Thanks,
    Mark.
  4. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Since you asked...I was one of those "gotta go to Deadhorse, gotta ride the Dalton all the way up" folks. I'm limited on time too, only have 23 days on my entire trip. I'd like to do Dalton, Dempster, Denali, Salmon Glacier, etc etc etc. Just not enough time.So, need to figure out my prioirities...in case I do not make it back up that way again.

I've decided to play things by ear when I get there. I have planned 5 or 6 mini-rides up there now, and depending on weather and my remaining time factor, when I get up in the morning I'll make the decision on which way to go.

I "overplanned" my route/stops for getting out of the US and up north. Somewhere along the way, I'll convert from "anal preparer" to "don't give a shit, just glad I'm here" rider. Any day up there beats any day of riding next to Midwestern cornfields...
  5. DUCATIJAY

DUCATIJAY Best Rider Ever

Oddometer:
    when are you headed up?
  6. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Indianapolis area at 6AM on Saturday, June 14th. Due to the fact that I have to be back at work at a certain date, I know my departure and return dates (6/14 and 7/6).
  7. DUCATIJAY

Oddometer:
    nice ride!!

any surprises along the way? did you stay in hotels or camped out?
  8. NorWis

NorWis No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer:
    We camped all but 6 nights. Four of those were at UAF. Surprises? Not really. I packed too much crap and sent a box home from Fairbanks. Gleaning as much info from other riders here was the most helpful. Meeting great people along the way was spectacular! :ricky

We had perfect weather for our push to Deadhorse. Up to that point it sucked a lot. Always windy and wet. To get 4 perfect days on the Dalton was worth waking up, riding or falling asleep to rain up to that point.

I wish I had packed a bit warmer riding gear. BC was cold in the mountains and I suffered a bit. Nothing terrible though.

I wish you safe travels and hope you enjoy the same spectacular views we had.

Ask a LOT of questions. You will use ALL the answers. :deal

Todd
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    if hauling the bikes from NY, i would pick an interstate route to Glacier rather than crossing into Canada for your transit miles. way faster, much better roads, and considerably less expensive. the provincial popo are everywhere above the border, and would be quite happy to target your NY plates...and impound your truck if right foot enthusiastic.

i would put out a feeler via the regional forum for secure parking at an ADV inmate location in Montana.

the Dempster and Dalton are both backtrack roads, but otherwise your route should loop. takes some planning and research on options. bring good gear because your itinerary is "advance rain or shine", pretty much the way i ride.

make sure you have your tire situation worked out, depending on route you could be on gravel on day 1. chip seal surfaces eat dual sport tires. preposition or prepurchase tires and be prepared to mount them yourself if necessary, you won't have time to shop or wait in line for a tire change. carry spares and tools, skimp on everything else. go as light as practical.

examine your route for confirmed fuel stops and take no chances with fuel range. many fuel stops that used to be convenient are now closed. just because someone got fuel there last season doesn't mean it's still open.

long daylight hours, but travel early or late means animals along the roads, fun to see, just not up real close while underway.

safe travels.
  10. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
    I did the Denali on my trip last summer. Wasn't overly impressed with the ride there...too open and not that exciting! Only one place that you actually get closer to the mountains and they are not that big there but now it's done and I've been across there!

Trip report link and Dalton Video
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904169

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IwvRS5JPeqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Hi Lappeman
    What direction did you ride the Denali, it looks west to east on your video, is that right? I remember reading somewhere that the scenery is better when riding east to west. That's the direction I plan to ride this June.
    Cheers,
    Mark
  12. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I rode West to East. It was misty and rainy, so that may have had something to do with it also. I also passed a few big hunting camps with garbage strewn about and there were quite a few RV's dotting the landscape. Macleran (sp?) Pass with the river and glaciers in the distance was nice! Good luck with your adventure!
  13. DUCATIJAY

Oddometer:
    when did you go? and what was the average temp?
  14. Lappeman

Oddometer:

I left July 26th and was gone for I think 17 days. I hit cold crappy weather most of the time...it was warm there before I left and warm there after I was done...of course! :lol3

Ride Report:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904169
  15. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    I have some video that I wasn't going to bother posting, as my Go Pro's mic quit working. I'll put something together...with crappy Youtube music :lol3 and post it when it's done. I was actually fairly sunny when I took the video but rained at both ends of the hwy, so no footage at the ends, just the middle.
  16. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering doing this ride in August as well.
  17. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the music track will upload to the video soon :lol3 This is all the video that I shot on the Denali as it was raining most of the time but the sun came out for a bit!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X2XDf1W02gY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. DUCATIJAY

Oddometer:

how long you planning on going for?
  19. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    i spoke with pjm via pm, and he is going for 20 days. he plans on doing a bunch of 1000 miles days though... :wink: i think we should meet up during the trip. :freaky

started bike prep for the trip yesterday. big gas tanks, aluminum panniers etc
    [​IMG]
  20. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    The standard lament. "I wanna take a six month tour... in six days." That's one reason why I love living just a few hours from Deadhorse... or Denali... or Dawson City... or even Seattle, if I hustle. :lol3

Trailering will help, to some degree, but you're still going to find that you're taking too big a bite to chew it all up. Some things will have to be left for another, future, ride - that you'll be better prepared for in that you will have the experience of this ride to help you make plans.

Suggestion: Stop in Whitehorse and check weather along the Dempster and Dawson Highways. Head for the driest one first. The order in which you do them isn't going to be all that important. The first one will help you accomplish the second one more certainly.

Riding across the Denali Hwy: While you do get a sight of "The Great One" at the west end, near Cantwell, (like this shot from around Mile 131)
    [​IMG]

you can just ride a few miles south on the Parks Hwy and get an even better view, (like this one from about 15 miles south of Cantwell)
    [​IMG]

so I certainly wouldn't base your routing on that mere glimpse you get in the last three or so miles. The ride farther east, when you see the Alaska Range mountains spread all across the horizon,
    [​IMG]
    offers a lot more scenery.

In fact, I prefer riding that highway from west to east so I end up in Isabel Pass. Maybe even take a spin northward for 15 or 20 miles before turning back south toward Gakona and the Tok Cut-Off. As you top out east of Tangle River you can see the Wrangell Mts off to the southeast. If they are fairly clear, go that way. But if the weather is crappy and you can't see any of the mountains, go north to pick up the Alaska Hwy at Delta Jct and head back home via that route. While I live just off the Tok Cut-Off and find the Wrangell Mts are my favorites, (this shot was taken from about 10 miles from home, August 12 - about the time of year you will be up here)
    [​IMG]

the ride through the Alaska Range via Isabel Pass has some really great, rugged scenery too.
    [​IMG]

As has been suggested already, if you can swing up (or back down) along the Icefields Parkway, do so by all means. I've been running up and down that stretch since 1973 and it seems to get better each time. And I'll second the advice to stay on U.S. interstates as long as possible while trailering cross country. Over the years I've probably traveled back and forth from every corner of the South 48 via just about every route and unless you really know the Canadian highways you'll be better off to stay south of the border until you get to Montana.