New York to Inuvik to Deadhorse, August 2014

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Rodknee, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
    Nice photos! Been up there twice and never seen Denali (the mountain) yet...always covered in clouds :cry
  2. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    while i agree with that, both jay and i have the ability at this time to take off 23 days from our jobs/lives. i do not see it as a possibility in the near future, or even 5 years from now. the time is right, so let's roll... :ricky

ah, that seems to contradict everyone else's opinion, that riding east to west offers the better views. isabel pass is on 4? my original plan was to take 2 west to 1 south to 4 north to the denali highway, so you would suggest taking 2 to 4 south? or should i run to fairbanks/deadhorse, then come back down 3 and then go west to east?

i am trying to come out with a route that will knock off all the big points, while minimizing the most backtracking. i know inuvik will require a lot of that, but to be honest, that is the route i am looking forward to most. :1drink

are you referring to the Sweet Grass, Montana border crossing? doing quick math, it seems to have added a little more then a couple hundred miles and a few hours one way.

are you referring to the ones in Jasper? If we go the Montana route, i don't see why we could not pass through. thanks.

would you like to meet up? i would love to hear about your travels around the region. Drinks are on Jay... :dutch
  3. georgiev

georgiev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    planning on pretty much the same route so I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion, I hope you dont mind. Leaving from NYC/NJ area bit earlier, on or around July 4. riding all the way 2up. Work gave me 4 weeks off, I plan to be AWOL for additional week, I'll blame it on lost map or mental illness.
    Thank you all
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh... as it has been stated in the past, "youth is wasted on the young". As I have been doing this traveling thing for well over 50 years :gerg, I know that the experiences of 20 or 30 years ago are still helping me today. Five years is nothing, youngster. :lol3

Oh, no! :eek1 You're making me dig out a map to see what those number refer to. :deal You obviously haven't read my Alaska Primer that's posted in the Alaska section of the Regionals. Isabel Pass is between Delta Jct and Paxson on the Richardson, Hwy. Yep, that's AK4

"my original plan was to take 2 west to 1 south to 4 north to the denali highway" Huh? :scratch Lemme see if I can make some sense of that gibberish. :dunno It appears you meant that you were planning on taking the Alcan to Tok, and there turn southwest on the Tok Cut-Off to Gakona Jct, where you would turn north onto the Richardson, which would take you to Paxson, and there turn west onto the Denali Hwy. Sound anywhere close?

On my one and (so far) only trip over that highway it was to a point a few miles short of the first ferry crossing. Hoping to rectify that right after D2D in June of this year. But the part up through the Tombstone Mts was great! You'll find it quite an experience, I'm sure.

And worth the extra miles, as the time may work out to be about the same, or even less, with lower fuel costs across the Midwest states than in Canada to boot.

AB93 between Lake Louise and Jasper, in Alberta. The Canadian Rockies at their finest. :nod

Of the comments one reads in rr's dealing with Alaska trips, the one appearing with the most frequency is of the vastness. Until you have been up into the far northwest, i.e. Yukon, NWT, Alaska, you won't be able to imagine it. This trip is going to take more time than you presently envision. Stopping to enjoy leisurely meals with friends, tipping a few over the inevitable swapping of lies... you'll find little time for all that until you are back home, reliving the experiences of this trip. Sure, I'd enjoy meeting up to hear of some of your high points first hand. Maybe at Fast Eddy's restaurant in Tok. It's the first place in Alaska most riders hit when entering the state, and the last place on the way out. By the time you arrive here I will have, hopefully, been up to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay, as well as completed a photographic tour of the state with a professional photog friend from Florida. We can compare notes (if you're headed toward home) or discuss the finer points of your routing choices (if you are just getting here).
  5. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to reading about your trip and picking up some pointers.

:*sip*
  6. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Calgary and rode Dempster in 2011. I am hopefully riding it again this summer on my KTM 990, so am kind of in the re-thinking/planning stage right now.

For places not to miss in Alberta/BC/Yukon on your route, here's my two bits:

- coming north from Montana, a nice route is to cross into Canada near Waterton Lakes national Park, then north into the Crowsnest Pass (Hwy 89/17 in Montana, then 6 north into Canada up to Pincher Creek and Crowsnest Pass municipality). From there, you jog west then take Alberta hwy 22 north to Calgary area. You run along the foothills of the Rockies front ranges, and if you like, you can even jog further west and run part of the gravel Forestry Trunk Road right up along the front ranges of the Rockies then come back out to Alberta Hwy 22. If you want more information, PM me. There are various options.

- if you are skipping Calgary, a fantastic route is Hwy 40 which runs west from Alberta Highway 22 south of Calgary and joins the TransCanada Highway between Calgary and Banff. This takes you over the highest paved road in Canada (Highwood Pass) and you can often see grizzly here. Also takes you past Nakiska ('88 Winter Olympics ski hill). Some people want to stay in Calgary and Banff, which is barely over an hour apart. If you are doing this, consider riding from Calgary to Banff via this route (i.e. south from Calgary on Hwy 22, over Hwy 40 then west to Banff on TransCanada, then you get a decent ride and can spend less time in the Banff crowds). You would need to check whether this highway is open for its whole length - the winter gates come down in June but there was flood damage last year and highway was closed. I think it should be fixed for this year.

- Lake Louise itself is super scenic, but crowded. If you do decide to ride up to the lake, then also ride the side road (Morraine Lake Road) another 10 clicks up to Morraine Lake. This is the valley of the ten peaks and an incredible view, assuming you can see past the tour buses (actually, you can walk to the top of a huge rock pile for nice views).

- as someone mentioned above, Alberta highway 93 from Lake Louise north to Jasper (called the Icefields Parkway). Very scenic but touristy. Stopping at the Icefields themselves (it's at the half way mark) is cool and lots of good views here. If you are camping, the Alberta parks campground one click south of the Ice Fields - lots of climbers stay there (it is tents only - no RVs) and at about 6700 feet you get some nice stars at night. I love this campground but it is cold at night.

- To hook to Alaska Highway, from Jasper, the most direct way is to take Hwy 40 north from Hinton and on to Grande Prairie then Dawson Creek (Mile 0). If you are camping and going this way, there is a nice campground at the hot springs at east gates of Jasper national park.

- if you want to run gravel in Alberta instead of the Icefields Parkway, PM me. The Forestry Trunk Road which runs north/south along the Alberta foothills, can be done in various combinations with the Icefields Parkway, but parts of it were washed out last year and I'm not sure what status will be this year. Nice running if you like gravel in the front ranges and random camping.

- the best part of Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek to Watson Lake I think is between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake. In this stretch, don't miss Liard Hot Springs. There is a good campground there and B.C. Parks website let's you make reservations if you want them. If you want beer bring it with you because there's no place to buy beer in that area.

- look into running the Campbell Highway north from Watson Lake to Carmacks. Lots of info on this.

- Dawson City you probably know is a great place to visit. If you are interested in reading up on the gold rush, Pierre Burton's book Klondike is is good.

- I see you are coming back down from Watson Lake on the Cassier Highway. Riding in the short (100 km) highway to Stewart B.C./Hyder, AK is not to be missed and there is stuff to do there, lots of info available. In Stewart, there is a motel called the King Eddy which had a great King Crab special!

- Also on Cassier is Stikine canyon. I haven't been there yet but it is supposed to be a cool ride. It's a side trip from the Cassier

If you come through Calgary and have time drop me a line.
  7. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI...

Not sure what you are using for a hydration pack during your trip .....if you are using one or not but I have 4 coupons for 30% off for a GEIGERRIG Hydration Pack.

PM me if you would like one
  8. rjb3steel

rjb3steel n00b

Oddometer:
    I am new to this site. I am leaving Rochester NY on April 14th with the intent heading to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay and returning on or about the 4th of July. I am posting pics/videos here: www.facebook.com/alaskatrip2014 I spent 2 years planning and can't wait to leave. I originally planned on making the trip on a 2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide. I have since sold it and purchased a 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer. Looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences.
  9. Yellow Iron

Yellow Iron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to see Rodknee's 990 KTM supertanker the other day . looks like a fun ride. it drew quite a crowd
    its good to have that big tank. when you do stop for gas everyone will gather round asking all kinds of questions about your bike. You may have to pack a stick to beat them back.

I guess some of your pre trip work is riding long distance just for a burger.
    Good seeing you on thursday
    Goodluck with your trip:deal
  10. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    thanks, i appreciate it. :freaky

my 990 prep is nearly complete, just a few odds/ends. last night we started work on DUCJay's 990. swapped fork springs, installed risers/tires/handguards and dropped a washer somewhere... whatev, my bike is done :evil
  11. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:

Hey Team JayRod - I got the support vehicle ready for you guys.

[​IMG]

After 1000 miles you will be begging me to let you sleep inside. No problem, since you guys are my best buddies.:clap

(Just bring lots of cash)

For a few bucks more, I'll cook for you too..............................

[​IMG]
  12. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    not sure we would fit. Jay is, umm, kinda husky. :D thanks for the offer though. :freaky

i have been ready for a while now, Jay has been slacking. last night he put some effort into his rig. yay!
    [​IMG]
  13. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    see that water bottle on the top rack of Jay's 990? that is what he is using to bring fuel with him. i do not think it will work, but he says it is fine. what say ye' fellow inmates? :lol3

planning on a 1000 mile trip up to the border and back this weekend to test our border crossing abilities. hope all goes well. :freaky
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just got back from riding to Inuvik... we based out of the Nugget near Watson Lake... we rode the Campbell Road... pretty boring. Then rode North to Dawson, spent the night and then tackled the Dempster... way cool!!:clap Here is the challenge... the road condition is changing all the time due to re-construction and if you get weather you will either not make it or have to wait out the weather before you continue... it takes up time.

We were happy we trailered our bikes as we had fresh tires when we got there, could spend more time riding the areas we wanted... and then could speed home team driving. We are planning the same thing for next year probably basing out of Tok Alaska and then riding areas we want in Alaska... anyway my 2 cents
  15. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting.

We'll be on the road at the same time,my Adventure is gonna be headed west in mid August.
  16. DUCATIJAY

DUCATIJAY Best Rider Ever

Oddometer:
    we have room in the truck :ear
  17. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    We're leaving on the 15th or 16th of August,I'm hoping to go thru Michigan's u,p possibly into northern Wisconsin.
    I guess there's quite an Adventure rt thru there.

If all goes well we'll spend a few days in Colorado ending as far west as Moab Utah.
  18. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    prepped and ready for the challenge! :evil
  19. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Check out some of Cannonshot's GPS tracks . Lot's of routes thru the UP and many other places as well. Extremely well done and informative.
  20. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    We will be using one of his tracks to navigate the UP. Looks really good!! :deal