1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand - A few weeks on a 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by .chris, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and pics Chris. Great to see the 690 is still chugging along, you must have some K's on the old boy by now!
  2. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    love the pics thanks for posting:clap
  3. .chris

.chris 690 Advenduro

Oddometer:
    It is such an amazing place, so many great places to visit.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah mate, up to 75,000km now, still truck'n
    Sorry to read of the demise of yours. Hope you are healing up.

No prob, thanks for posting. It is nice to have encouragement.
  4. EnglishADVriders

EnglishADVriders n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool pics, this looks awesome! Got a few questions I hope you can help with, if you don't mind?
    I’m travelling to Christchurch to tour New Zealand in March/ April. I’m looking to find somewhere to buy / hire a KTW 690 Enduro (secondhand or new) that can help me with resale and setting the bike up to do the trip.
    DO you know any where that could help me?
    Also I’m looking for some help with routes etc and do you know of anywhere I can get hold of decent trial maps.
    Do you know any local ADV forums?
    What time of year was your trip?
    I've got six weeks to see as much as I can, I would like to explore both Islands, i'm never going to see everything but I'm sure I'll be back.
    I did a trip with three mates from Alaska to Argentina last year on a BMW f800. I found the bike a bit heavy for the off road that we did which was minimal, this being my background I would like to do more this time. however I’m still going to need to cover the distances, so knowing the roads, fuelling distances, ETC what do you guys recommend as the best bike for the job? and where can i get one? second hand would be good. I've looked on "trademe" and

www.motorcycletrader.co.nz. there doesn't seem many about?
    Any help much appreciated
    cheers Samuel Nicholls
    Little pic from Monument Valley last trip

DSC01704.JPG
    goodcat likes this.
  5. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Great RR

Im glad this got a bump
  6. PaulGir

PaulGir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She was probably referring to Avondale spiders which can be as big as a woman's hand.These are found around parts of Auckland City,originally spreading out from the suburb of Avondale.They are Australian Huntsman spiders and it is believed they came into New Zealand in shipments of timber from Australia,imported for the construction of Avondale race course.
    Avondale spiders were bred and used in the movie Arachnophobia. They are one of the few social large spider species and were quite happy to work in large groups,for the movie, whereas other species would have eaten each other - a veritable spidergeddon.
  7. El Lobo

El Lobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the scenery on the other side of the world. Great post
  8. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/

Www.remotemoto.com

Www.kiwibiker.co.nz

Good places for ride ideas and stuff.
    EnglishADVriders likes this.
  9. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Amazing scenic views! Must visit NZ.
  10. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent camera work and amazing scenery-reminds me of Lord of the Rings! The night shots are impressive-what camera are you using?
  11. .chris

.chris 690 Advenduro

Oddometer:
    There are not that many of the older 690's in the country, seem to be plenty of people riding the newer '14/'15 bikes, but not many 2nd hand ones for sale yet. I do not know of any rental places using them, the DR650 seems to be the NZ adventure rental bike of choice.

You should such an amazing place, summer here is the best time to travel.

Most of these were shot with a Canon 500d DSLR with either a 17-85mm (wrecked it) or a cheap Sigma 18-250mm (both crop sensor lenses).
    I am not entirely sure I would recommend this camera in particular (for ADV riding), they are quite bulky and you can get the same size sensor in a compact/mirrorless camera nowdays.
    I have upgraded to a Sony A7mII, giving me the ability to use old film camera lenses on a modern full frame camera with image stabilisation and being a bit more compact than the Canon makes it seem like a much better option (all though about 3x the cost, and not particularly more rugged).
    The cheaper option (probably more suited to ADV riders) would be the Sony A5000/A6000 series, nice and compact and pretty good range of lenses with the abiliy to use old glass via an adaptor.

During 2015 I have done another trip to the south island and then decided to create a self published book/magazine which includes photos from my various trips around New Zealand, which may be of interest to a few of you.

http://www.blurb.com/books/6290166-motozealander-hardcover
    http://www.blurb.com/b/6301261-motozealand-magazine-v1