New Zealand road trip on a PCX

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Kiwi Mick, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More a series of day-trips than an epic ride.... This road trip is to reacquaint myself with the country I was born in, after nigh on 20 years absence.

The first leg was from Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 22.17.13.png

Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 1.jpg White Island, an active volcano, seen from Whakatane Beach
    Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 2.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 4.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 5.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 6.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 7.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 8.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 9.jpg
  2. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 10.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 11.jpg

Morning at Tokamaru Bay, once a thriving community exporting frozen meat and crossbred wool to the world. Farming is still the mainstay of the local economy, but nowadays everything leaves by road.
    Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 12.jpg
    Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 13.jpg Whakatane to Tokamaru Bay - 14.jpg Part of what was Tokamaru Bay CBD.jpg
  3. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming :thumb
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  4. Cantab

Cantab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta get my ass up that way again....only done it once maybe 7years back, camped at Tokomaru bay and had tea at the local pub
    they were surprised a couple of mainlanders were 'all the way up there', friendly funny bunch good times.
    TM1(SS) and Chillis like this.
  5. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I found it a friendly place...... My previous trip around the East Coast was February in late 1970s, on a Honda CB350, after finishing the main shearing season in Hawkes Bay. We had a few weeks off before second shear. Not a lot has changed, other than a bit more forestry. Road is more travelled these days though. Camper vans everywhere. More EV charging points than petrol stations too.
    Chillis, TM1(SS) and Cantab like this.
  6. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent a day checking out the area north of Tokamaru Bay..... rained quiet a bit for the first time in 2020, much needed by the farmers. Good test for the new m/c jacket I had bought just a few days before. It did OK, but would still be inclined to put proper rain gear on for a prolonged or heave downpour.

Around Tokamaru Bay - 1.jpg

Tokomaru Bay panorama.

Around Tokamaru Bay - 2.jpg

Waipiro Bay

Around Tokamaru Bay - 3.jpg

Waipiro Bay

Around Tokamaru Bay - 4.jpg

Unusual structure in earthquake prone NZ..... solid brick, load bearing walls, built years ago by settlers using tech from whence they came. Apparently brick buildings in NZ these days are timber framed, with brick veneer cladding.

Around Tokamaru Bay - 5.jpg Around Tokamaru Bay - 6.jpg

Around Tokamaru Bay - 7.jpg

The tractor driver who cultivated and drilled this winter feed crop had some skills, and balls to negotiate the hills!

Around Tokamaru Bay - 8.jpg
  7. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Around Tokamaru Bay - 9.jpg

Some folks still ride their horse to town in Ruatoria.

Around Tokamaru Bay - 10.jpg

The Ruatoria 4 Square supermarket and general store, by far the largest for more than 100 km in any direction, has heavy duty doors!

Around Tokamaru Bay - 11.jpg Around Tokamaru Bay - 12.jpg

Looking south

Around Tokamaru Bay - 13.jpg

Looking north

Around Tokamaru Bay - 14.jpg

Te Puia Springs.
    popscycle, Scoozi, TM1(SS) and 6 others like this.
  8. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a short haul to Gisborne, checking out a few places along the way.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 15.51.05.png

Tokamaru to Gisborne - 1.jpg

Tolaga Bay panorama
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 2.jpg

Tolaga Bay Golf Club
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 3.jpg

Once busy main drag of Tolaga Bay, now just a couple of convenience stores, and the odd cafe.
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 4.jpg

Tolga Bay Wharf, 660 metres long, was built in the 1920s to export local produce, and bring in goods for the community. At it's peak 132 ships visited in a year, it was last used in 1967 to transport maize.
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 5.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 6.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 8.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 9.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 10.jpg
  9. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waiau Bay, south of Tolaga Bay
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 11.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 12.jpg

Off grid cottage and mansion over Waihau Bay
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 13.jpg

Weaning calves, I guess
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 14.jpg

Trucks carting logs for export from Gisborne Port are frequent users of the road.
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 15.jpg

Wainui Beach, one of the best known surf beaches in Gisborne, and New Zealand
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 16.jpg Tokamaru to Gisborne - 17.jpg
    Scoozi, TM1(SS), B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  10. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gisborne city: Midway Beach panorama
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 18.jpg

Gisborne Port is quite small, and does not have a container terminal. Its mainstay is exporting logs to China.
    Tokamaru to Gisborne - 19.jpg

Gisborne panorama.... a small city with a population of about 45,000.

Tokamaru to Gisborne - 20.jpg
    Scoozi, JimRidesThis, TM1(SS) and 3 others like this.
  11. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checked out Gisborne for a couple of days, then continued south to Napier, spending a few hours exploring Mahia Peninsula on the way.

Gisborne to Napier.png

At Wainui Beach
    Around Gisborne - 1.jpg

Around Gisborne - 2.jpg

Growing and harvesting things.... the fertile alluvial flats of Gisborne grow a range of horticultural produce;

Sweet corn
    Around Gisborne - 3.jpg

It is a long established grape growing region
    Around Gisborne - 4.jpg

Workers jive to reggae beats as they harvest lettuce
    Gisborne to Napier - 1.jpg

Mechanical tomato harvest for canning and sauce
    Gisborne to Napier - 2.jpg

Freighter docking at sunset
    Freighter docking at sunset.jpg

Docked at  Snset.jpg
    popscycle, Scoozi, TM1(SS) and 3 others like this.
  12. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Around Mahia Peninsula, famed for surf and seafood. More recently the launch site for Rocket Lab, a NZ private enterprise venture which launches satellites of up to about half a ton.
    https://www.rocketlabusa.com

Scenic route to Mahia Peninsula
    Gisborne to Napier - 3.jpg

Gisborne to Napier - 4.jpg
    Gisborne to Napier - 5.jpg

Was a great day for surfers at Mahia
    Gisborne to Napier - 6.jpg

Gisborne to Napier - 7.jpg
    Gisborne to Napier - 8.jpg

Gisborne to Napier - 9.jpg

Gisborne to Napier - 10.jpg

Gisborne to Napier - 11.jpg
    Scoozi, TM1(SS), B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet As photography!
    Chillis and Kiwi Mick like this.
  14. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mohaka River valley
    Gisborne to Napier - 12.jpg

Puketitri Pub - we often called in here when I worked for Brendon Mahoney Shearing back in the late 1970s. Sadly closed now, but there is a charging point for EVs
    Gisborne to Napier - 13.jpg

Worked in this shed many times, staying in the black shearers' quarters in the forground. The sheep came in with a lot of pumice in their fleece, which was hard on shearers gear and shed hands' fingers. However, the boss there was a great guy, so it was a good place to work
    Gisborne to Napier - 14.jpg

Samarkand Farm, another place I enjoyed working. The farmer had a lovely horse which was kept in the paddock next to the wool shed. I used to ride it, bareback, without a bridle. It responded to voice commands and pressure on its neck with my hands.
    Gisborne to Napier - 15.jpg

Lake Tutira was a favourite spot when it rained and we could not shear. I often caught trout there to take back to the quarters to cook for dinner. There was also a YHA hostel that was popular with hitch-hikers and motorcyclists.... and Brendon. When he was short of labour it was often a source of shed hands, some of whom worked just a day or two. However many worked out the season.
    Gisborne to Napier - 16.jpg

Once listed as the smallest cricket ground in the world, Tutira Cricket Ground has a self return system for boundries. Now, sadly fallen into disuse.
    Gisborne to Napier - 17.jpg

Tutira Cricket Ground pavilon
    Gisborne to Napier - 18.jpg
    philb714, popscycle, Scoozi and 6 others like this.
  15. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Napier to Wellington:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 13.29.32.png

Lack of accomodation, and not great weather, I didn't stay on in Napier; best to move on to Wellington. It was a long hard slog, with quite strong wind, on long straight roads, through parched countryside. About the only interesting part from a motorcycling point of view was the ride over Rimutaka Hill from Wairarapa to Hutt..... view from the 555 metre pass.
    DSCF8746.jpg

DSCF8748.jpg

Stayed in Wellington a couple of days, visiting several potential employers on the first (favourable response from a couple, and "send your resume by e-mail" from others), and Te Papa National Museum on the second.

DSCF8750.jpg

Nearly 25 years since I last passed through Wellington, the biggest change I noticed was the number of people of all ages getting around on 2 wheels. E-scooters and e-bicycles have really taken off.
    DSCF8757.jpg
    DSCF8758.jpg
  16. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    InterIslander to Picton:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 14.23.16.png

The InterIslander
    DSCF8769.jpeg

Picton is a picturesque little town that seems to change little. Caught up with cousins I had not seen for decades.
    DSCF8770.jpeg
    DSCF8772.jpeg

Queen Charlotte Sound
    DSCF8768.jpeg
    popscycle, Scoozi, TM1(SS) and 2 others like this.
  17. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took a 3 day / 2 night trip to the Nelson region and Abel Tasman National Park. Took the shorter, but slower and more scenic, winding Queen Charlotte Drive out of Picton. Returned via the Highway 6 / Highway 1 route..... long boring straights.... should have returned via the scenic route.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 13.03.30.png

Checked out some potential employers in Nelson, one of which offered me work abroad. Thanks but no..... not long back from 18 years abroad, and not entitled to the National Superannuation most NZ citizens and residents receive at the age of 65, until I am nearly 72 because of some regulations changes while I was away.

"Quite right," according to some civil servants, including my own brother. "You haven't been paying tax for years."

Not so.... been paying tax mostly at resident rate (all but 3 or 4 years) since I was a teenager, including on dividends and interest from investments in NZ, and have bought funds back to NZ from abroad on occasions........ With a welcome such as this I kinda wished I had stayed away, and invested abroad. Getting a decent job, or even temporary jobs has not been easy...... discovering that older folk are regarded as over aged, over experienced, and under qualified in today's job market, where a ticket is now needed to stuff I have done for years.

Rant over...... NZ is still a wonderful place, for those who have the means to enjoy it.

Stayed a night in Nelson, then was going to do part of the Abel Tasman Coastal Walk the next day. However, with a concert near the park that evening, no accomodation was available nearby, and I had left my tent at Picton. So stayed the second night at Motueka, Used to be the heart of the tobacco growing industry in NZ, That has now ceased to exist. Apples, grapes, hops and dairy farming are now the main land use for the region's easy country.... a lot of forestry in the hills.

Grapes are not far off ready for picking..... nets keep the birds away.
    DSCF8773.jpg

When I was last in the area, about 25 years ago (picking apples) Mapua Wharf had just one building on it, which was starting to become know for smoked fish and fish & chips. Now it is all gentrified, with cafes, and souvenirs..... and the smoked fish has become quite expensive. Still, I bought some to make into a chowder for dinner.
    DSCF8781.jpg

Kids jumping off Mapua Wharf
    DSCF8786.jpg

I liked this yacht.

DSCF8788.jpg

Hops being grown to flavour McCashin's beers DSCF8805.jpg

Harvesting hops..... I worked the hop harvest in England years ago, but never saw this end of the operation. I was in the oast house, drying the hops after harvest. Quite a privileged position.... the boss came with beers for a chat every evening as we had to work on into the night until the day's pick was dried.

DSCF8810.jpg

Hop flowers, where the flavour comes from.

DSCF8812.jpg

I lived here, on the orchard, when I picked apples for a season, about 25 years ago.

DSCF8819.jpg

Braeburn apples (my favourite), near ready for picking.

DSCF8821.jpg
    popscycle, Bors, Scoozi and 5 others like this.
  18. Otroo

Otroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another place that I need to visit. Thanks for showing us around
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  19. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a stunning country, beautiful. Sorry about the work situation, I know the feeling...take it easy.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  20. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Braeburn are my favourite too. I think seasonally some of the ones we get here in the UK come from NZ. It’s a long way to ship apples, but I love ‘em :jack

I think there’s only one apple variety from Cumbria, the Egremont Russet. You don’t see them in the shops though.
    Kiwi Mick likes this.