New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Good stuff mate...

Grog
    Aaron.S likes this.
  2. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Have a good crossing to mother russia
  3. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked but can't find it - what's that rear? It still looks better than a lot of mine!

You ought to see if you can get the same deal from them that KTM gave you because you are going to sell a lot of tires for them.

Yeah, I know KTM won't give you the time of day.
    nzrian likes this.
  4. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I crossed into Russia a couple days ago. The border was pretty straight forward this time and only took about 1 and a half hours. It was still a push when I got to Barnaul as I lost a hour in time difference.
    I stayed at the first hostle I found but changed the next day and found a cheap room.
    The hostel was 450 ruble for a top bunk bed in a room full of 6 guys. Lot's of snoring and one drunk guy who stunk. The next day my own clean room with my own bathroom was 1000. Around 15 US. I like to save money but I really don't like dealing with dorm rooms for the sake of 7 bucks. I would rather be in my own tent.
    I found a tyre but the only one I could get is a Michelin cross ac10. It's going to be great in the dirt but it's not going to last long so I'm going to carry it to close to the Mongolian border which is about 800k away and put it on there.
    Barnaul is a very nice city. Quite orderly compared to most I have been in of late and very clean. Not sure what's in the water but lot's of hot ladies as well.
    I'm heading into the Altai's tomorrow and going to meet up with the other guys I was riding with. I picked up a front tube one of them needed. I think I will stick with them to try do the Northern route through Mongolia.
    Sorry guys no photo's I thought I would quickly catch ya's up to date.
    Next time.
    Kyron, liv2day, SmilinJoe and 18 others like this.
  5. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I believe you without proof :deal :D
    Allucaneat, Aaron.S, mo_rider and 5 others like this.
  6. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    We're all getting blue balls here...
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. Wake up call

Wake up call Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay Aaron, it’s Friday now and my wife is worried there is going to be a divot in the couch from my arse waiting to see photos and an update!

Ps: Safe travels! I want to hear where your adventures take you next!
    Aaron.S and Cafeguzzi like this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I caught up with my moto family of Holger, Janet and Ronnie and we spent a couple nights camping heading towards the Mongolian border.
    You know who your mates are when after the guys saw me struggling a little on the rough roads with my tyre and I had to stop to adjust it then Holger offered to put it on the back of his already very loaded up KTM 1090 as he has his partner Janet with him so carrying gear for two already.
    So the route we took is a smaller southern route not normally taken to the border.
    ( We now know why)
    We were heading to a town called Ust Koska. Apparently Putin's playground yet I never saw him shirtless on a horse anywhere.
    You are supposed to get a permit to enter the area.
    The road on Google maps showed it looped back to the main road but on Mapsme and Osmand it showed it ended and there was a short track that connected up to the otherside.
    We took off from our campsite and went through Ust Koska then the road turned back to gravel and ended up in a tiny town.
    We found a local and asked him about the route. With broken English he pointed to my bike and gave the thumbs up then the other two not so positive.
    We continued on a 4x4 track mostly first second gear stuff until that ended at a stream.
    There were a few guys there and they pretty much made out it was not possible for the big bikes.
    They had walked it and said it was 6k of tight track that had switch backs over the mountain with a big drop off the side.
    This was all with sign language and a few odd words along with them drawing with a stick in the dirt.
    Well we thought we would try but we only got a hundred meters and encountered a tiny bridge then saw the track.
    There was no way a bike with panniers was going to make it through. Ughhh!
    The frustrating part was they made out if you got through the 6 odd k of tight bad stuff then you connected with the road on the otherside.
    From there it was only 20k and you would be on the main road close to the Mongolian border.
    Instead we had to turn around and do a 400k detour back the way we came.
    With not much choice we headed back to Ust Koska and we were all tired and beat along with no showers for a couple days so we decided to get a room.
    Also there were dark clouds and rain was right around the corner with the wind picking up.
    We then found out because we didn't have a permit for the area we weren't able to get a room as the cops came around and checked.
    So we stopped at the market and got a couple beers along with noodles and thought we would try out run the looming storm and find a place to camp .
    After the first site we looked at that wasn't great I put it to the group that instead of spending the time to set up camp even though we were all tired and done with riding for the day we should just put our heads down and bust out 100k more to the next town and see if we could find a room.
    That's what we did and Holger set a great pace so about 8pm we rolled into Ust Kan and found a cheap hotel.
    Tomorrow we'll head towards the border and I'll throw that tyre on then cross the following day.
    You can see the end of the road and bridge in the last photo.
    Oh I picked up a fishing rod to help kill some time while camping. 20190705_204018.jpg 20190706_202502.jpg 20190707_103034.jpg 20190707_143004.jpg 20190707_144923.jpg 20190707_103407.jpg 20190706_200630.jpg 20190707_152153.jpg
    flying.moto, Kyron, Dukehunt and 24 others like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do they haul the three kids? Panniers or yellow duffles?
    Aaron.S, BLucare, mo_rider and 3 others like this.
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha. It's funny how often when you stop in the middle of nowhere kids just seem to appear.
    In this case we weren't far from their little town and they came over to watch us set up camp. They were very taken back by the chairs and we had enough pasta to feed them.
    They certainly looked like they enjoyed it and all had seconds along with a snickers bar.
    The other thing that often surprises me is how there are never adults around to watch out for them.
    They were playing in the river alone etc.
    In a lot of countries parents would be concerned with their kids swimming alone at that age and hanging out with strangers.
    Having said that I remember as a kid having pretty much my freedom to run around and do what I wanted with my mates.
    outbacktm, thirsty 1, Kyron and 14 others like this.
  11. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a brilliant day to be out riding today.
    Perfect weather and nearly all of the 375k was really nice smooth roads.
    Sure we are hunting down more gravel and dirt roads but if you have to get to a border and it's your only choice I rather have this than the potholes of Kazakhstan.
    The views were also really fantastic.
    We ended up in a little town called Kosh Agach.
    Tomorrow we'll cross into Mongolia.
    That will make country number 50 for the bike.
    Who would of thought. I'm so excited to get there.
    I put on my new tyre once I got here.
    I can't believe I got 11000k out of that Motoz tractionator adventurer tyre.
    Lots of gravel and some long 500k days in the heat on tarmac which would normally chew and melt most alot quicker.
    Admittedly I would of changed it earlier if possible and it my arse end was all over the place when I got on the gas but the fact it would still get you home if need be on a long trip says something.
    There were some cracks showing and they appeared quite early on which worried me but never caused any issues. 20190708_144518-01.jpeg 20190708_144932-01.jpeg 20190708_162007.jpg
    The other guys are running the same on the 1050 and the Rallz on the 1090 and they are holding up great as well with about 4k so far on them.
    Roll on Mongolia my friends!

Attached Files:

12. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Congrats on reaching 50 countries. Safe travels through Mongolia :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frickin' awesome @Aaron.S! Was off-grid for a few days and really glad I caught up on your time in Russia. That campsite you found along the river is seriously idyllic, did you catch any fish? I had the same thought about the kids, wondered WTH they came from...lol. Really cool of you to share chairs, meals, and dessert with 'em - imagine that'll be something they talk about for sometime.

Safe travels in Mongolia, crazy to think you're in country # 50 now. Wow.
    Caprug and Aaron.S like this.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well let's cross the border today first.. but Thanks heaps.
    wilfred likes this.
  15. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No fish but great fun anyway. I've always loved fishing.
    outbacktm, ExplorerFrog and wilfred like this.
  16. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after 114000k and through 49 other countries we made it to Mongolia!!
    The border crossing took a bit of time but I think we got pretty lucky because as soon as we passed the line of cars and stopped at the front only a minute passed and they opened the border gate.
    Little bit of a scam on the Mongolian side as they want 50 Russian ruble for disinfecting the bike yet they don't do anything.
    You have to pay to get a slip of paper which later gets stamped.
    Anyway we were in and headed to Ulgii where we got the first decent meal in a while.
    After that we headed towards lake Achit and we stopped on the way to camp by a river but the mosquitoes were so bad we continued on towards the lake.
    They were still fairly bad but better by the lake but a little ways up it was a heap better and bearable.
    We didn't have much choice anyway as we had had a long day and it was getting late.
    Riding towards the lake was absolutely amazing.
    Such a buzz finally been here and riding in the vast openness of Mongolia seeing the mountains and picking my path through the open plains looking over to the left and right seeing the other guys do the same.
    I was tired but grinning from ear to ear in my helmet.
    The scenery was stunning.
    Today we headed to Ulaangom which was about 175k and 140 all gravel roads and some slower going pretty rocky parts.
    The few river crossings that had been marked on Osmand were all dry.
    It rained a little last night but it's been pretty dry and all the snow has melted in the lower hills/mountains so we didn't have any issues there.
    We had a 5 min spell of rain just before we got into town but as I write this the wind is picking up and it's starting to rain.
    The forecast isn't looking good for tomorrow and after doing some long back to back days the other guys are taking a day off tomorrow and I might join them.
    I need to start sorting out my route through Siberia and also shipping for my bike etc from Vladivostok to Malaysia. I need to get a Carnet de passage which is a exspensive pain in the arse but needed for Indonesia and Aussie.
    Well off to eat but yeah once again I'm stoked to be here. I tell ya if you had told me when I started this thread and journey in Chile I would be here right now I wouldn't of believed you.
    Never say never and make life a ride.
    Thanks for joining me! 20190709_170429-01.jpeg 20190709_200225-01.jpeg 20190710_120759-01.jpeg 20190710_083406-01.jpeg 20190710_083650.jpg

Attached Files:

17. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to do so.
    shuswap1 and Aaron.S like this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Facking love it @Aaron.S! Congrats on making it into Mongolia and enjoying the ride thus far. Hope you're able to kick back for the day and let the weather run its course while you get some R&R.

The pics are incredible man, so cool to see the mountains off in the distance, the tracks that appear to go on forever, and a cool lake to camp by (even with those damn mosquitoes).

Safe travels man, hope the thing you need for Malaysia isn't too big of a pia. I look forward to seeing what you post next :thumb :thumb
    Aaron.S likes this.
  19. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Aaron,

Can you give your opinion about the boots you are using. My feet are trashed after multi-day rides, especially if my Tech 8s get wet.
  20. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the Tech 7s. Most comfy boots I've had. These ones are the enduro ones so they have some tread on the sole compared to my last oned.
    Biggest drawback is that they aren't waterproof.
    Maybe go for the plastic bag in the boot trick on rain days or I tend to slow down and lift feet for most bigger puddles if possible.
    I had the Alpinestars Corozal on the last leg but I felt that the kinda stretched out a bit and got a bit boxy compared to new. They were waterproof but also pretty hot so for me it wasn't worth the trade off. I broke a strap on them and I tried finding a new one for the rest of the trip at bike shops that stocked Alpinestars and no one had them. Silly to make them different than other boots. I did want the Alpinestars Toucan boot but no half sizes and the 9 was too small but the 10 was too big. I wear a 10 in the Tech 7 and perfect fit. They just seem to fit me well and really comfy. I heard they were coming out with a waterproof tech 7. One can hope.
    Shaggie and Sam Hayes like this.