New Zealand RTW and back on a KTM500exc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aaron.S, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I had a very lazy day looking out the window at the rain. Great timing for a day off.
    I have been very very lucky with the weather so far.
    Unfortunately it is forecast to rain the next two days and tomorrow I'll be heading on the Northern route so hopefully the river crossings will be okay.
    The ones yesterday were basically dry so fingers crossed.
    Probably no internet for a while so wish me luck and I'll update when I can.
    Shaggie, snail01, DC950 and 7 others like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck @Aaron.S, I hope the weather isn't too awful and you're able to cross the rivers without trouble. Rain and a northern route doesn't sound like a ton of fun, hope it's not a cold rain.

Safe travels man :ricky :ricky
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seem to end up with wet feet every time I ride in the dirt. Waterproof boots suck even when Gore-Tex, and the selection of good protection and waterproof is slim at best. Pants that go over the boot are a big help, but an "overboot", which you'd have to stop and put on, might be the only fix. Frogg Toggs make one that has a sole; the only hope for surviving aggressive foot pegs.

I just get wet and wait three days for them to dry, but on a long trip that would suuuuuuck.
  4. szamor

szamor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 enduro boots also. They where very comfortable and did provide better grip for when you need to pick up your bike in slippery conditions. Unfortunatly I had a silly low side accident in the USA, whilst on an adventure holiday, at about 20 miles an hour and my foot got jammed between the bash plate of my KTM 990R and the ground. The Tech 7 boots have a buckle on top of the bridge of your foot rather than down the side. This buckle got pushed into my foot by the weight of the bike, displacing the bones in the bridge of my foot. Although I didn't break the skin on my foot, I've had 3 surgeriesover 2 years to my foot to try and repair the damage the buckle caused. I know it was a freak accident, but I sold the boots (which still looked like new) as soon as I returned to NZ.
    DC950 likes this.
  5. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Being a bit of a backpacker, I know that "waterproof" boots usually mean they just take longer to dry. I prefer quick-drying backpacking kicks to expensive Gore-Tex. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome updates as usual -thanks for taking the time to keep us entertained. Wheyou get to Oz, if you come down the West side honoured to offer you beers, accom, workshop
    Aaron.S likes this.
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gore Tex in footwear makes no sense, as soon as the pores in the fabric fill with dirt etc they are just plastic bags. Marketing at its finest.
    levain likes this.
  8. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick update. Limited internet. Awesome day riding yesterday on the Northern route.
    At the very start the road had washed away but there was a easy work around.
    It did make us worry about the river crossings to come through.
    No need to worry as they were all dry.
    I think we have struck it very lucky and although it look like it was threatening to rain all day I put on my magic rain gear which held it off.
    The "road" was slick in spots and lots of puddles but hey no dust f9a change.
    I found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time and Ronny hit a big puddle just on front of me. I got covered head to toe with brown muddy water. Totally my fault.
    Holger had his front wheel tuck in under him on one huge puddle and he and Janet went for a quick swim. No one hurt so all good. We ended up in Baruunturuun. Found a little two room place for 20Us .
    No water so no shower and the toilet is a long drop.
    I'm struggling with the food. Ughh f horse meat.
    Right time to pack and get back to it.
    Photos are taking ages to load so just a couple today.
    20190712_144908.jpg 20190712_094603.jpg
  9. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Arron , your report (and the pics) one of the best on here!! Carry on!!
    Comrade Art likes this.
  10. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Food would be a huge hurdle for me in a RTW trip. Horse meat does not sound like fun poops.
  11. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    horse meat is still somewhat common in germany and france. the taste is quite good. eating horse meat is not that much different from let's say kangoroo meat in Oz.
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    send you a pm About the carnet
    Aaron.S likes this.
  13. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it thanks. I'm going to get one through the AA in New Zealand. Not much deposit but the fee isn't cheap.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty long day today with not much ground covered. About 100k.
    Holger crashed in front of me and it looks like he may of broken his hand.
    One if his knuckles is pushed in.
    It was pretty slick in spots and his front wheel dug into some mud by a puddle and tucked in on him.
    He has Janet on the back and with all their gear and them that bikes weighing in at around 500kg.
    Takes two to lift the thing.
    Very slow going after that and one section was sand where Janet had to walk some of it.
    We got a little rain today but pretty lucky considering how black the clouds were to the side and behind us.
    We made it to a village called Tes.
    Amazing scenery today and very remote.
    Holger Janet and Ronny are going to head to the middle road tomorrow and find some tarmac to carry on to Ulaanbaatar.
    I'm going to continue on my own on the north route.
    We didn't see anyone out there today. Bit of a worry for me been on my own tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed.
    I'm going to put in a big day and try find a place with a shower and real toilet.
    Maybe some edible food. Dreaming of a double bacon cheeseburger... pizza... a roast dinner...
    Photos are taking ages to load so I'll post some more when I have better cell or wifi.
    20190713_121940.jpg 20190713_150118.jpg
  15. G B

G B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After traveling in Mongolia for 3 to 4 days people start to talk and dreaming about proper food
    Bt10 and Aaron.S like this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn @Aaron.S, sounds like a rough one on the road :eek7 :eek7 Really sorry to hear about your riding bud's hand/knuckle, that sounds painful as hell. And given the remoteness of where you are, I'd feel uneasy about going on solo too. I hope your friends are able to find help and that your continued solo adventure doesn't run into anything insurmountable.

Cool pics man, your bike off the water-logged track is sweet. Did you have to ride off track?

Cheers to you finding a good meal and someplace with a shower and proper toilet. I'm looking forward to your next update, imagine you have a great set of pics to share once you're in decent service.

Continued safe travels man :ricky:ricky
  17. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190714_093409-01.jpeg 20190710_114125-01.jpeg 20190713_114207-02.jpeg 20190710_130739-02.jpeg 20190713_153146.jpg 20190713_184652.jpg 20190713_110334.jpg Some photos for the last couple posts.
  18. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I headed back on my own and after about a hour I stopped to take a photo of my bike and speedo because it just hit the 1500hr mark.
    Nice little milestone. 20190714_194420-01.jpeg 20190714_091514-01.jpeg 20190714_163055.jpg 20190713_201813.jpg
    Standing there alone in the silence of the middle of nowhere all of a sudden Mongolia seemed a whole lot bigger and a little bit lonelier.
    I felt a tad vulnerable if truth be told.
    I made a choice to take a road south towards the middle route.
    The Northern route technically road A18 finished in another 100k but then you are fairly committed to stay high but there is a bit more to see lower.
    What a difference been alone makes for time.
    I pulled a 300k odd day mostly all off road and had my tent up by 4pm.
    The day before we only did 100k in 6hrs. Mainly due to Holgers hand.
    He's a very solid rider. Was going to do a 24hr rally riding for Endurostan which says something.
    Still people travel differently and they all smoked so often when I got in a zone they were stopping for a smoke break.
    I really enjoyed traveling with them but when it comes to getting from A to B I'm quicker alone.
    I found a place to camp and put in another good day today and ended up in Tsetserleg.
    I got a room and had my first shower in 4 days.
    I even have a proper loo.
    The two hardest things for me have been the food and poo situation here. Both suck.
    Only benefit of not been able to eat much is I don't poo as much.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great set of photos @Aaron.S, really cool that someone snapped an action shot of you! And I like the shot you took of your fellow travelers riding off in the distance. Man - the scenery there is incredible. Not what I envisioned Mongolia to look like - all the green, but no trees to speak of? Fantastic landscapes regardless.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    First off, congrats on the 1500 hour mark, that's amazing :thumb :thumb

Not that the situations are even remotely similar, but I remember feeling that same way when I stopped in SE Oregon last year. Got off the bike and the sense of solitude was like nothing I've felt before. It's a bit unnerving.

Glad you were able to find a room that had a proper $hitter, hope you're able to get some good grub and the ride continues to go well.

Safe travels @Aaron.S :ricky :ricky
    Aaron.S likes this.